Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-11-2005, 02:04 AM

Default Did I pick a bad spot to make a play?

Since I've been playing tournaments, I've been playing a lot of ABC poker so my success has been greatly dependent on my cards. I've been trying to open up my game latley in low buy-in tournaments. Please tell me if I picked a bad spot on this hand, and analyze my thought process. I'm on the button, my cards are not relevant.

Paradise Poker No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t50 (9 handed) converter

Button (t2420)
SB (t710)
BB (t2365)
UTG (t5405)
UTG+1 (t2035)
MP1 (t1060)
MP2 (t1355)
MP3 (t1325)
CO (t1730)

Preflop: SB posts a blind of t25.
UTG folds, UTG+1 folds, MP1 folds, MP2 folds, MP3 folds, CO calls t50, Button calls t50, SB (poster) folds, <font color="#CC3333">BB raises to t175</font>, CO calls t150, Button calls t150.

CO is weak/passive, limping most hands. I think the BB knows this and is trying to defend his blind and pick up the pot. I've only played 1 hand so far, winning a decent pot by showing down an overpair.

Flop: (t625) 2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">BB bets t100</font>, CO folds, Button calls t100.

This flop looks like a good flop to make a play on, I think by smooth calling I can represent a made flush or a big draw.

Turn: (t825) Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">BB bets t50</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Button raises to t200</font>, BB calls t150.

I'm ready to give up when the 4th club hits, but I read the mini bet as weakness. I want my raise to look like I have A [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] or K [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] and am value betting. A smooth call of the flop makes sense with these hands.

River: (t1225) 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Button bets t400</font>, BB calls t400.

Again, I want my river bet to look like a value bet.

Final Pot: t2025
Old 01-11-2005, 02:06 AM

Default Re: Did I pick a bad spot to make a play?

what the hell do you have in the hole? kinda importatn
Old 01-11-2005, 02:26 AM

the gig is up on the turn, if a passive player calls your raise he his calling 400 on the river.
Old 01-11-2005, 02:40 AM

[ QUOTE ]
what the hell do you have in the hole? kinda importatn

[/ QUOTE ]

j/k. im retarded
Old 01-11-2005, 03:12 AM

You let a king, jack, or 9 high flush who didn't believe you but didn't have to have any strong amount of faith that you were missing the ace call at the river for 1/3 the pot.

If you are going to bluff the river (which I don't suggest you do in this situation), make it at least 1/2 the pot or more. 600 - 1200 will give the chance of a release on a lower club.
Old 01-11-2005, 07:05 AM

I'd read the min bet as a sign of strength, at least against non-awful players. Any decent player will know that a min-bet isn't going to block a raise or scare you. It's clearly a weak lead trying to get you to re-raise. It's a sign of extreme strength because it says "even if you don't raise it's ok, I'm strong enough to give YOU a free card."

If you want to spend 600 on a bluff, throw it at the turn. With the pot at 800ish, there's no way he's letting go any flush for a mere t200. He's got plenty of chips to spare if he's wrong.
Old 01-11-2005, 10:10 AM

Without getting into the subject if this is a good spot to make a bluff: You are giving him too good odds! He is getting 4 to 1 on his river call. He is going to call you with any club here. Maybe even without a club.

Edit: After I studied more how the hand was played out it became clear that this was a bad spot to make a move. The villians tiny flop bet is telling me he has atleast a big club in the hole, maybe even a made flush. Would a made hand without a club bet so weakly at flop?
Old 01-11-2005, 08:23 PM

Thanks for all input. Villan called with J [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]9 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]??? Which lead to my post had I picked a bad spot or executed poorly if he can call my turn raise and river bet without a club?

After reading you responses it looks like yes bad spot and yes executed poorly. My thinking was if I bet too big it's going to look like a bluff. It didn't cross my mind that I was laying him the right odds to call me down.
Old 01-11-2005, 08:55 PM

1. you dont say what level you were playing but if it was $20 or $10 then you did not play it correctly on the flop. you are not representing what you think you are against opponents at those levels so if you had a good hand you should play it straightforwardly.

2. another bad play on the turn.when he bets into that board on the flop having raised out of the big blind i dont see how you can raise with too many hands on the turn when he bets again. what hands can he have on this board that can call a raise of your size? if he has nothing then he wont call, if he has a flush or a big hand or even if he thinks you are bluffing he will call for a lot of chips. if you make a small raise here i dont see what you accomplish.

Pat
Old 01-11-2005, 10:00 PM

Wow, seems like he had no idea what he was doing. Without having observed his former plays it's very difficult to put him on a hand like this.

I think a good portion of players wouldnt make that river call with J9o(even with such favourable odds), but most players wouldnt play J9o like that.