Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-15-2004, 09:00 PM

Default Spead Limit Tournaments

What exactly is this?
Is this like pot limit with a cap on max bet?
Old 10-16-2004, 12:15 AM

Default Re: Spead Limit Tournaments

I haven't seen a tournament called a speed limit tournament. Where (what site) have you seen such a tournament?

If you refer to the new Party Speed Poker tournaments, they are (as far as I know) all no limit, with 3 minute levels.

citanul
Old 10-16-2004, 02:15 AM

I am guessing he means spread limit. I have seen it in several california poker rooms. It is like limit poker but the limit is flexible in that you can bet 1-5(normally) times the big blind and it doubles for the final two rounds of betting. In a tournament I am guessing it plays a lot like no limit towards the end since a raise of 5x the big blind will pot commit most stacks.
Old 10-16-2004, 05:41 AM

Two card rooms in San Jose (Garden City and Bay 101) use it because it is illegal to spread NL poker in San Jose. Bay101 gets some kind of special dispensation for their WPT event.

At garden city, the max bet/raise is 10x the BB on all streets. At Bay 101, it's 25x the BB. THe Bay 101 one plays almost identical to NL. The Garden city one plays a little differently at first, but once you're down to everyone having ~20-30 BBs or so, it plays nearly identically.
Old 10-17-2004, 04:36 PM

Default Truepoker has added Speed Tournaments

Truepoker is now offering speed multi-table and s&G tournaments every day. Our Speed Tourneys are set with a 4 minute interval for blinds to be raised.

If there is a demand for Speed Tournaments in Limit Play, tell me at management@truepoker.com ... we will be glad to post those as well.

Truepoker CEO
Old 10-17-2004, 05:37 PM

In speed limit tourney, the blind goes up every 2 minutes (at least in Party). I tried it once and thinks it is a crapshoot. The blind is going up so fast that I never figured out a strategy. Either you get blinded out for waiting for a decent hand to play or you are forced to play some semi-decent hand, whatever it is, and hope for the best.

I think is type of tourney are tailored for the LAGs and kamikaze-type of players. If there are any successful players out there in these tourneys, please speak out. Maybe I can pick up some pointers.