Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Home Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-20-2005, 11:22 AM

Default ring games or tournaments?

I am new to poker and pretty much consistantly lose money in ring games but break even or sometimes win in short handed tournaments ( probably due to my impatience, which i know i will have to curb ).

From what i have read, it seems to be that anyone who is making any money is not playing these small tourneys... have i got this right or can i get good at the tourneys without practicing at the ring games?
Old 11-20-2005, 12:10 PM

Default Re: ring games or tournaments?

One can make money at both ring games, and tourneys. You don't have to play both of them. For me, it's usually a breather to switch between the two. After playing a cash game for a few hours it's often relaxing to switch over to a tourney, and vice versa.

The key is to find stakes you are comfortable with, that allow you to play your best game. Play at stakes that are too small and you might not take it seriously. Play at stakes too high and then you are playing with "scared money".
Old 11-20-2005, 01:04 PM

I play in a lot of smaller home tournys. I find that it's easiest to win in either small tourny's or small ring games if you just sit back and wait for some hands (tight to very tight play) and do a fair amount of raising when you get cards (aggresive). Don't bluff much at all in these games, you'll almost always get called. When you take down a large pot, you won't lose as much money in the process (raising your profit). You don't need to be too good for this strategy to work well, as most of the players at these levels won't be good/will be worse. Hope this helps.
Old 11-20-2005, 03:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I play in a lot of smaller home tournys. I find that it's easiest to win in either small tourny's or small ring games if you just sit back and wait for some hands (tight to very tight play) and do a fair amount of raising when you get cards (aggresive). Don't bluff much at all in these games, you'll almost always get called. When you take down a large pot, you won't lose as much money in the process (raising your profit). You don't need to be too good for this strategy to work well, as most of the players at these levels won't be good/will be worse. Hope this helps.

[/ QUOTE ]

It all depends on what kind of players you're up against. In the beginning, sit back and play tight, watching which players are the rocks, which ones are the loose cannons, etc. As your reads develop, then you can formulate a strategy.