Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-14-2005, 04:04 AM

Default Swear This Man In 1/20/2009

http://www.cnn.com/2005/US/08/12/newmexico/index.html

Not really a huge fan of the guy, but this was long, long overdue, and I predict this was only the first of such things we'll see. Pity he likely doesn't have any National Guard troops left to send down there. The entire border/illegal immigration situation is a total disaster and completely untenable as it now stands.

Just for starters, there is no way the states can continue to provide education & health care to illegals w/o commensurate tax collection, not to mention incarceration & law enforcement costs, although to be fair many of the illegal criminals come from El Salvador and other countries.

At one time the "cheap labor/Americans won't do those jobs" argument may have had some validity but not now. Hell, there are plenty of foreigners who want to apply for legal work visas who got screwed this year, esp for Atlantic Ocean fishing boats and processing shops as I was reading a couple months ago.

It's bad for the Americans and disastrous for the Mexicans, who are completely helpless in light of the fact there is no law or authority thru out much of the country.

I've always mused about absorbing Mexico into the U.S. Plenty of +/-'s in doing so, but I think there'd be a helluva upside. Bush, Hillary, etc, are buffoons, but they're Abraham Jeffersons compared to the Mexican pols.

But regardless, events will eventually force Washington's hand. American border families will start getting massacred by drug mules, and that will be the tipping point. Doesn't have to happen that way, but I guess abortion & evolution are more important to the average citizen.

Decriminalizing weed, and medicalizing coke & hoss would also help, but never mind.

I wonder what would happen if New Mexico's Air Guard bombed that abandoned Mexican border town/drug gang haven?