Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-13-2005, 12:46 AM

Location: download an irc client at www.hydrairc.com (freeware not spyware), connect to irc.efnet.net, and join the channel #twoplustwo to chat live with other 2+2 posters
Default Re: The Singer/Songwriter Movement

i thought johnny cash was the one that more or less discovered bob dylan
Old 07-13-2005, 01:33 AM

Default Re: Anyone Else Here Not Like Bob Dylan?

[ QUOTE ]
I'm not denying his influence or poetry/songwriting skills(at least <=1975). But c'mon. Sick joke of a performer. All you got to do is listen to the Hendrix, SWonder, or even Edie Brickell covers to realize that. He makes Jerry Garcia sound like a Dio/Iommi hybrid.

And, really, what's he done since the mid 70's that anyone would care about if it weren't by him? Plus, I hate Tom Waits and all the other troubador wannabes that have appeared in his wake.

Ya switch his & Springsteen's birthdates, he'd still be Bobby Zimmerman, IMO.

[/ QUOTE ]

Please. Seek. Help.
Old 07-13-2005, 01:47 AM

Tom Petty has spent his life trying to be Bob Dylan. George Harrison does not belong anywhere near a list of noteworthy singer/songwriters. Jimi Hendrix began a solo career pretty much because of Bob Dylan. Cobain...sucked. You're a young man I'm guessing? And something tells me that you don't really like Neil Young; you're just pretending.

That said, I seriously doubt your familiarity to Dylan's live performances. You're speaking outside of your knowledge here. Not to be a dick, but I'd bet you haven't seen Don't Look Back, and don't own any of the Bootleg Series, and have never heard a high quality bootleg from a noteworthy tour, and above all else have not seen Dylan live. It therefore doesn't seem that you're qualified make this assertion:

he's also one of the LOUSIEST, esp if you add musician/live performer to singer/songwriter.
Old 07-13-2005, 02:15 AM

[ QUOTE ]
i thought johnny cash was the one that more or less discovered bob dylan

[/ QUOTE ]

That would be John Hammond.
Old 07-13-2005, 02:27 AM

Location: download an irc client at www.hydrairc.com (freeware not spyware), connect to irc.efnet.net, and join the channel #twoplustwo to chat live with other 2+2 posters

hm, i thought the biographies and whatnot running on johnny cash mentioned that he ran into dylan when he was still trying to get his stuff together and supported him. certainly dylan might have been a 'later influence' on cash, but his professional career existed before dylan's. cash was making records with sun in the mid-fifties.
Old 07-13-2005, 03:04 AM

I'll be 40 in September. Why would a young guy ask if anyone remembered Live Aid? [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

I don't care much for Neil Young but I like his stuff way more than what I've heard of Bob's. He certainly seems to have had a much, uh, 'broader' career than Dylan.

My OP was part troll, based on the recent ones about SRV & RHead. Some of the names I listed were certainly stretches, but not Cash, Lennon, Young, Morrison(not familiar w/much of his stuff either), & Wonder.

I'll give Bob all the credit in the world for influence & songwriting. I'm sure he influenced Wonder & Gaye to break out of the Motown "machine", at least indirectly.

I got ruined on Bob early; some horrendous TV appearances from ~'75-'85, culminating in Live Aid. Plus I heard Hendrix's version of Watchtower before the original. And the older kids in my neighboorhood played Rainy Day Woman nonstop.

I haven't heard Don't Look Back or any "noteworthy" bootleg, of course. Mostly pre 1980, or even pre 1970 right? [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

I would like to hear some of Bob's best stuff from his heyday, just to be fair. I'd even like to hear some of his best songs from the last 15 years or so, s'long as its someone else singing & playing! [img]/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]