Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Two Plus Two > MOD DISCUSSION
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-17-2005, 01:52 AM

Location: download an irc client at www.hydrairc.com (freeware not spyware), connect to irc.efnet.net, and join the channel #twoplustwo to chat live with other 2+2 posters
Default Re: New Thread For Discussion of New Mods

you say i 'started a debate' and make it sound like it's a bad thing to let the midhigh guys weigh in on it. does it hurt to read their thoughts? bobby announced he was going to take it to them too. as far as 'probably a handful of posters' taking task with it, is that pure conjecture?

the idea of waltzing in a buddy doesn't sound absurd when he's sending biased PMs based on incomplete private data given to him by a mod. and for the final time, he was shot down by me long before he sent that message. it didn't change my opinion about him, it made me wonder what the hell was going on over here.

i became a mod because [censored] asked mat for me to operate in his stead. i have no personal relationship with him, no real interaction on the forum, and we had never exchanged a PM. angrycola, a mod with whom i had just gotten in an argument, contacted mat to support me. that is how the ball got rolling.

as far as considering others' opinions instead of shutting them down, i agreed with you/bobby and completely reversed my position on the midhigh split less than 24 hours ago. remember?
Old 11-17-2005, 02:09 AM

[ QUOTE ]
angrycola, a mod with whom i had just gotten in an argument, contacted mat to support me. that is how the ball got rolling.

[/ QUOTE ]

[img]/images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img]

Actually I didn't contact Mat about you until after the decision had been made. It completely slipped my mind. I was going to do it, but then one thing or another caused me to forget about it.

On the day Mat put up the thread in OOT about you, I realized that I had never sent the PM. After seeing the thread, I immediately sent him a PM about it, but the decision had already been made. It doesn't matter, though. You are still a good choice, and nobody needed my recommendation to see that is the case.

Sorry about the hijack, but it seemed like a good idea to post this here.

Another post about jason:

From my last post about him, it should be obvious that I don't know enough about his character. Because of this, it probably was inappropriate for me to make a post about him possibly being a mod. I'll let the people who have a better understanding of him and his history give the real opinions here.
Old 11-17-2005, 03:04 AM

[ QUOTE ]
you say i 'started a debate' and make it sound like it's a bad thing to let the midhigh guys weigh in on it. does it hurt to read their thoughts? bobby announced he was going to take it to them too.

[/ QUOTE ]

FWIW I agree that there should be a poll or discussion etc started in Mid-high about what was happening. However, a 2-liner "how do we split this forum up" isn't going to give the correct info / generate the same response as "there are a bunch of players who are in limbo and don't have a forum to post their hands. Your forum will for the most part stay the same, can we make a "mid" forum where these wastrel posts can go?" etc etc.

[ QUOTE ]
as far as 'probably a handful of posters' taking task with it, is that pure conjecture?

[/ QUOTE ]

I thought about it and looked back and I think between a couple of IMs I got and a vague impression of resentment I got from some regulars as split issues were debated I may have overestimated this. Your post in mid-high following the debate here was a bit forward given that it came off as "lets rally support for my ideas" rather than "lets find out if this good idea can be made to work with the current mid-high forum"... especially after bobbyi (the current MH mod!) had already said he was going to bring it to his forum before it happened.

[ QUOTE ]
and for the final time, he was shot down by me long before he sent that message.

[/ QUOTE ]

Gotcha. No worries, he wasn't happening anyway, and we're not short on candidates! [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

[ QUOTE ]
as far as considering others' opinions instead of shutting them down, i agreed with you/bobby and completely reversed my position on the midhigh split less than 24 hours ago. remember?

[/ QUOTE ]

Indeed! I got interrupted a few times writing that post and there was a paragrah that didn't make it to the final cut where I talked about how I was impressed with your willingness to change your mind in the face of effective arguments.

I wish it would have been in there. Rest assured i'm well aware of it, and quite happy as a result. I'd hate to have a strong-willed, unyielding new mod. However, having another strong-willed, yet surprisingly open-minded(you surprised me with that turnaround [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img] ) mod will hopefully encourage well-thought out debate instead of flame wars.

This got really blown out of proportion and I probably didn't word some of my previous posts optimally. I'm really stoked to see all of these changes happening and the level of involvement by regulars and mods is inspiring.

Surf
Old 11-17-2005, 01:32 PM

Location: download an irc client at www.hydrairc.com (freeware not spyware), connect to irc.efnet.net, and join the channel #twoplustwo to chat live with other 2+2 posters

it was apparently assumed that i was aware of tstone's "open letter" in nvg, but i only read it for the first time late last night.

that's why it seemed i 'chose not to address' the homeless people in the mh poll. i only read mh and oot, and i was speaking from that point of view. i can see how people got the impression that i was being obstinate in opposition to such overwhelming support, but i wasn't aware that the homeless problem was nearly that big or that the split concept already had such a diverse groundswell. analyzing the mh poll responses and re-reading opinions in here is what changed my mind. i'm certainly patting myself on the back over being able to go 180 degrees without the body of evidence (open letter and the ss forum) that so many others had!

i don't fault anybody for assuming i was aware of such an apparently popular thread, especially since i just noticed it was pointed out in the mod forum.....1 day before i became a moderator. but i think this situation illustrates how much easier things could have been if 'the basics' were called out in mat's change thread. i still would have been naturally reluctant to make any big changes that might affect mh, but i think it's obvious what a difference it could have made on my perspective since it was instrumental in shaping yours.

as far as posting the mh poll goes, i did it before bobby suggested he was going to. i wouldn't pre-empt him.
Old 11-17-2005, 02:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]
it was apparently assumed that i was aware of tstone's "open letter" in nvg, but i only read it for the first time late last night.

[/ QUOTE ]

Okay, things are making alot more sense now. I had incorrectly assumed that the mods had all seen the link, in retrospect there was nothing about splitting mid-high in the title so it seems it was a silly assumption.

Your behavior had seemed so irrational at the time, given what I assumed to be common knowledge among the mods - it makes alot more sense now. As you said, we should make sure everyone has the same information to work from in the future.

Surf
Old 11-17-2005, 02:27 PM

After the little segue we've been having, I want to kinda get things back on track, or at least recount what's come up so far so that the two discussions can continue in parallel. Anyway, here are the forums that will be affected, who we're considering to mod them, and whatever:

Higher Stakes:
-Dcifrthis for sure.
-Someone else of his choosing.

Mid Stakes:
-Entity for sure.
-Evan likely (where is he? Evan, chime in, bro!)
-Outside chance at someone else (listed under SS)

Small Stakes:
-GoT for sure.
-QTip is a respected poster who would like the job, but who isn't going to be on as much as some. Some of us aren't as enthusiastic about him as we are jason_t.
-jason_t is another respected poster who has very strong support of some of us. Others have some reservations about his quibbling with Dynasty, but those reservations could be mediated.
-Either of these two could be good choices for Mid if Evan wants to do SS. QTip was saying he was planning on making 15/30 his home shortly, even though he's been dallying in 2/4 some.
-There has been mention of Jake the Snake and W. Deranged. There has not been much discussion.
-TStoneMBD is out.

Microlimit
-Gregatron for sure
-Should I stay on at micro even though I'll be moving to SSSH dominantly? I could.
-Greg and I have discussed making VoraciousReader a mod. She's fairly new, but she has a great attitude, and unlike either of us, she plays both microlimits AND full ring. She's also started doing the Micro Digest, so making her a mod would help her in that regard. I just heard back from her. She'd like the job.

Mid-High Short:
-Surfbullet for sure
-Josh. virtually for sure
-Is this where Robk will go?
-Schneids may mod this too.
-Do we need 4 mods here?

Small Stakes Short:
-Me for sure
-StellarWind would like the job.
-I had mentioned JaxUp, but I think the idea of having a HUSH regular and a micro regular mod SSSH is better than two micro guys so as to better appeal to former HUSH posters.
-I haven't contacted cartman.
-I haven't seen Michal Davis posting, and I saw a post saying he was gone. I don't think he's a good choice, then.

Forum Suggestions:
-Microbob for sure. This guy deserves to go green.
-I don't think we'll need another, at least not right off the bat.

Beats, Brags, and Variance:
-Dids volunteered if no one wanted it.
-I'd like to see JaxUp get the job. He's a solid poster with a good, helpful attitude, and he's been active in the Microlimit's Designated No Content threads, which this forum will replace. He's had a good eye for the humor in this sort of stuff.

Jeff W.
-There was talk of making him a mod. I have no idea of what. MHSH? Mid? High?

That should do it, but there may be something I forgot. Say so if there is.
Old 11-17-2005, 02:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Mid Stakes:
-Entity for sure.

[/ QUOTE ]
I responded earlier and said I'd like the mid stakes job.

[ QUOTE ]
Small Stakes:
-GoT for sure.
-QTip is a respected poster who would like the job, but who isn't going to be on as much as some. Some of us aren't as enthusiastic about him as we are jason_t.
-jason_t is another respected poster who has very strong support of some of us. Others have some reservations about his quibbling with Dynasty, but those reservations could be mediated.
-Either of these two could be good choices for Mid if Evan wants to do SS. QTip was saying he was planning on making 15/30 his home shortly, even though he's been dallying in 2/4 some.
-There has been mention of Jake the Snake and W. Deranged. There has not been much discussion.
-TStoneMBD is out.

[/ QUOTE ]
I'd vote for jason_t over QTip and W. Deranged over everyone.

[ QUOTE ]
Mid-High Short:
-Surfbullet for sure
-Do we need 4 mods here?

[/ QUOTE ]
I don't see anything wrong with having 4 mods in what will hopefully turn out to be one of the top strategy forums on the site. Where is RobK? I had never even heard of him before he became a mod and I really haven't heard much of him since either. In fact, I'm starting to believe RobK isn't a real person. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
Old 11-17-2005, 02:45 PM

Sorry, I must have missed you. Yeah, I didn't recognize you w/ your new avatar. Anyway, it looks like we have mid stakes settled, then. Good! Care to offer a few words of why you'd pick W. Deragned over jason_t?
Old 11-17-2005, 03:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Higher Stakes:
-Dcifrthis for sure.
-Someone else of his choosing.

[/ QUOTE ]

i don't see why this decision shouldn't be made by committee

[ QUOTE ]
Jeff W.

[/ QUOTE ]

mid was why i brought him up, but other forums would probably be fine
Old 11-17-2005, 03:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Mid Stakes:
-Entity for sure.
-Outside chance at someone else (listed under SS)

[/ QUOTE ]
I should be mod for mid-stakes because I am currently a mod for mid-high but don't play "high" and am only there for the mid part of it. Mid stakes should be me, Evan and Entity and then I think it is set.

[ QUOTE ]
QTip is a respected poster who would like the job, but who isn't going to be on as much as some. Some of us aren't as enthusiastic about him as we are jason_t.

[/ QUOTE ]
I would be much more enthusiastic about QTip. He seems like an ideal small stakes moderator, except for his time constraints. I know that jason is friends with many of the current moderators, but I agree with astro that that sort of clique-ishness is hopefully not how things are decided. I used to post in small stakes and mostly stopped because the cliqueishness annoyed me and jason_t seemed to be one the worst in terms of trying to have it be a little club with him and his friends which I found very offputting.

[ QUOTE ]

Mid-High Short:
-Surfbullet for sure
-Do we need 4 mods here?

[/ QUOTE ]
I really think Schneids should get this. I say Surf, Josh and Schneids and leave Robk in SSH. Three moderators is fine. Since Robk isn't very active anyway, I don't see why he should be taking Schneids' rightful spot in the new forum.

[ QUOTE ]
Small Stakes Short:
-Me for sure
-StellarWind would like the job.
-I had mentioned JaxUp, but I think the idea of having a HUSH regular and a micro regular mod SSSH is better than two micro guys so as to better appeal to former HUSH posters.
-I haven't contacted cartman.
-I haven't seen Michal Davis posting, and I saw a post saying he was gone. I don't think he's a good choice

[/ QUOTE ]
I think you and Stellarwind (and Robk) would be sufficient.

[ QUOTE ]
Jeff W.

[/ QUOTE ]
I'd love to see him be a mod, but there really doesn't seem to be a spot for him unless DCifr thinks he should be in high. Since Jeff has been mainly active in HUSH, I can see that it might make more sense to give a high spot to someone who contributes a lot in mid-high today.