Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-21-2005, 01:29 PM

Default Re: Gigabet hand in WPT event.

[ QUOTE ]

Here is an analogy, I don't know it's fair or maybe too flattering but here goes: If you were a poker player who who had the capabilities of extracting enough information from players so that at most times you essentially knew what they were holding and how they would react to your actions, why would you risk your chips when this wasn't one of those times.

[/ QUOTE ]

Something along these lines went through my mind as the only reason I could see gigabet folding JT if that was his actual holding. If he can make so many chips from people folding, why would he risk all his chips if he was even the slightest bit unsure of where he stood? This especially holds true if he perceives he is on a good table that will not break for some time.

To put it in EV terms, because he was unsure of where he stood, he perceived this hand to be only slightly +EV. If, in fact, gigabet folded JT here, it was because he passed this hand in order to find more +EV opportunities later. It's possible that if he lost more chips on this hand, he would not have been able to bully Oppenheim around later.
Old 10-21-2005, 04:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]
"Why in God's name did he fold that?!?"

Because he trusted his instincts. Just like Negreanu trusted his instincts a few weeks ago when he was certain his opponent had AA and laid down KK pre-flop (opponent showed QQ).

[/ QUOTE ]

This isn't the best example I've ever heard.
Old 10-21-2005, 05:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
"Why in God's name did he fold that?!?"

Because he trusted his instincts. Just like Negreanu trusted his instincts a few weeks ago when he was certain his opponent had AA and laid down KK pre-flop (opponent showed QQ).

[/ QUOTE ]

This isn't the best example I've ever heard.

[/ QUOTE ]

It seems like a good example to me. The cases seem pretty similar.

Negreanu and Gigabet have similar styles. They are both extreme LAGs who like to see flops and read opponents.

In both cases, they outthought themselves and made a fold. In both cases a player who has more of a logical strategic approach rather than a psychological approach would look at hand ranges and say it's probable that I am ahead here.
Old 10-21-2005, 05:42 PM

The thing is it's just another good example of why not to make the fold. DN basically said himself before that hand he had never laid down KK preflop before and after it he learned his lesson and he'll probably never try to again.