Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-12-2005, 12:43 AM

Default Re: Play a Hand With the Masters #2 Pre-Flop

Heck, giga's even willing to knowingly take the worse of it with some of his stack, like he did on that Q3o hand, so that he can build some blocks. What I meant is simply that with AKo, I'm willing to flip a coin against one villian for my whole stack, especially if I can get some dead money in the pot PF.
Old 10-12-2005, 12:44 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I like Foucault's line here. 300 is standard unless I feel that there will be a chance to get my chips in as a big favorite (or even a slight underdog) against an aggressive player yet to act.

[/ QUOTE ]

Has anyone considered making a large raise. Say you raise to 400. If you get called by one player, there is 950 in the pot, you have 2300 left, and you may have villain covered. This puts you in good position to push practically any flop or put in a close to pot sized raise and be ready to put in the rest.
Old 10-12-2005, 12:48 AM

Preliminary resp.

Do you call or raise? If you raise, to what? Raise to 300.

Since most players usually raise with AK in this spot, under what scenarios would you just limp and why? I really can't think of many. Perhaps if someone behind me was playing fast and aggressively preflop, I'd consider a limp/reraise AI. Also, if I were limping a lot of hands for some reason, and a limp from UTG+1 wouldn't look odd, I'd do it. But, my position is bad and I don't play well enough post-flop to allow a bunch of people to limp in behind me with this hand. However, if "Hero is Gigabet", he may not be operating under such constraints, and therefore may be able to exercise a certain degree of creativity.

If you raise and get re-raised, what's your plan (which obviously could depend on which player re-raises you)? I am trying to think of situations where I would reasonably fold if I get raised. I have 23BB's after my raise. A "standard" raise to about 1K would leave me with 16BB's if I just called, but with a pot of ~2000. I couldn't make a reasonably sized bet without pot committing myself. It would depend on a bunch of factors, whether I called or reraised all-in. Since I have no reads, I'll use stack size and position. Only the BB and the button can bust me. I think I'd want to use my position against the SB or the BB and just take a flop. Against the button, I'm not sure; I think I'd reraise AI to force him to make a decision preflop. Against all the other stacks, I might as well call and take a flop. With the exception of MP2, I'd imagine most of them aren't getting away no matter what happens on the flop- assuming they aren't all-in already. If someone moves in, I'll call. I just don't have any reads.

-D.
Old 10-12-2005, 12:51 AM

My play ::I limp in.
It's early in the tourney doubt anybody will take offense to it, a standard raise from EP will signal some decent strength, I think AK is a very sneaky hand, that you can play extremely different.

My reasoning on the Limp is to conceal the strength of the hand, you are in early position and you dont want to chase anybody out of the flop. If the BB or SB have say Ax or Kx they may be very inclined to complete the bid, a standard raise will chase them out. I Like to play to trap with AK if at all possible. I call a lot with it, and once i hit T2P, alot of the time the bidding is done for me.

If Raised, I simply call, as protecting my bid. If its raised all-in, assuming hero = seat 2, I call 3-4-6 for an all-in.

If 5&7 go all-in, and nobody else has called behind me, I will call, if there were fellow limpers inbetween, I feel like my outs may have shrunk, this may result in me folding depending on how fast they moved all-in.

If SB & BB go all-in i call either one, reasoning may be on defense of blinds if other fellow limpers tried to come along, maybe just trying to establish that their blind isnt a free ride or just a steal attempt. As discussed earlier in the post, AK is a good hand, and you cant be afraid to be headsup all-in or left with ~500 chips.

If anybody raises or re-raises behind me, dependant on position and which stacks, if 3-4-6 raise and someone else re-raises, I turbo-cold call in a heartbeat.
Turbo-coldcall any re-raise by the blinds as well.

I dont mind getting in a 3way pot, this tournament has a long way to go, and this would be a nice way to get it started.
Old 10-12-2005, 12:53 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I won't speak for Gigabet, but if somebody who knows who I am is reraising my UTG+1 raise with 99 or to a lesser extent AQ [in this particular situation], they are making a very big mistake.

[/ QUOTE ]

Gigabet's style and reputation may cause his raises to get more action than yours do. He plays a lot of hands. When I have been at his table (he has busted me twice, partly because he had more chips than I did), he seemed to raise a lot from late position, but raise or limp from early position.
Old 10-12-2005, 01:08 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Against a good tight opponent: They are aware that my range is wider than QQ+, AK. I think someone would be correct, to reraise me with AQ, 99+

[/ QUOTE ]

I won't speak for Gigabet, but if somebody who knows who I am is reraising my UTG+1 raise with 99 or to a lesser extent AQ [in this particular situation], they are making a very big mistake.

[/ QUOTE ]

So your range is tighter than AJ, 88 for an EP standard raise?

That is about as tight a range as I could imagine for myself. Of course I would be lying if I said I never raise with 66 or KQs.

I guess it is just our different styles, but against me, feel free to reraise with 99 and AQ, you are probably good.
Old 10-12-2005, 01:22 AM

I raise / yawn. Discussing this street is so pointless. Sure you can limp but obviously the default is to raise. If there is a boring street I dont understand why we dont just skip ahead.
Old 10-12-2005, 01:24 AM

[ QUOTE ]
So your range is tighter than AJ, 88 for an EP standard raise?

[/ QUOTE ]

Let's say it's AJs and 88...add up the percentages for what I'm gonna fold/come over the top of that reraise with.
Old 10-12-2005, 01:29 AM

Wow.

I thought this hand was not interesting at all. Its a $109 tourney on party....

I raise to somewhere between 275 and 375 depending on where exactly the slider lands when I let go of the mouse.

The only time I consider folding if it is reraised and called before it gets back to me. If there is one player to me I am either calling all in or pushing what is left. If I double up, fantastic- now I can take the tourney seriously. If I lose, there will be another 109 soon enough.
Old 10-12-2005, 01:33 AM

don't think the preflop decision is the interesting part...

hopefully gigabet does something wacky and we have hard decisions to make later on.