Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-05-2005, 03:27 PM

Default Re: Always bring a gun to a knife fight.

[ QUOTE ]
Actually, it IS probable that you will be in at least one car accident during a lifetime of driving.

[/ QUOTE ]I guess I've been lucky -- it's never happened to me. But I have twice been in a standoff involving weapons -- neither of which would have been a standoff if I wasn't armed.
Old 10-05-2005, 04:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Again, if you use "probable" or "most probable" as your criteria for setting a limit, then no one should have any weapons at all.

[/ QUOTE ]

Er, I think you may still not be seeing what he was trying to say.

He isn't saying he that he will probably have an opponent. He is saying that his chosen method of defense, should the need arise, will be geared towards the opponent he would most likely face. Hence he does not choose armor-piercing rounds since facing that particular opponent would be among the least likely scenarios of any possible opponents he might face.
Old 10-05-2005, 05:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Again, if you use "probable" or "most probable" as your criteria for setting a limit, then no one should have any weapons at all.

[/ QUOTE ]

Er, I think you may still not be seeing what he was trying to say.

He isn't saying he that he will probably have an opponent. He is saying that his chosen method of defense, should the need arise, will be geared towards the opponent he would most likely face. Hence he does not choose armor-piercing rounds since facing that particular opponent would be among the least likely scenarios of any possible opponents he might face.

[/ QUOTE ]

I get what he's saying - do you get what I'm saying?

You could (somehow) decide how your most likely opponent would be armed, and therefore choose to arm yourself with something "better" (whatever that means). But facing any opponent is much less likely than never facing an opponent at all, in which case a "better" weapon is not needed at all.

The bottom line is choosing your weapon based on being better armed than your most likely opponent is flawed. There are much more logical ways to choose a weapon.

-ptmusic
Old 10-05-2005, 05:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]

The bottom line is choosing your weapon based on being better armed than your most likely opponent is flawed. There are much more logical ways to choose a weapon.

[/ QUOTE ]

Enlighten me.
Old 10-05-2005, 05:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]
You could (somehow) decide how your most likely opponent would be armed, and therefore choose to arm yourself with something "better" (whatever that means). But facing any opponent is much less likely than never facing an opponent at all, in which case a "better" weapon is not needed at all.

[/ QUOTE ]

So...you should not prepare yourself for potentially disastrous but unlikely scenarios? I really don't think you're trying to say that, but it sounds almost like you are. What point are you trying to make, then?
Old 10-06-2005, 02:56 PM

OP was asking should there be any limit on the weapon one should be able to buy. One guy replied in this thread that you should buy the weapon that is better than your likely opponent's weapon.

I say your likely opponent's weapon is nearly impossible to predict because there are so many different possibilities, all of which are unlikely. I also say that "better" is hard to define: a hidden handgun might be "better" than an AK-47 in some circumstances.

Therefore, one should choose a weapon based on different criteria (e.g. ease-of-use, cost, safety, effectiveness-in-multiple-situations, etc.)

-ptmusic
Old 10-06-2005, 03:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Therefore, one should choose a weapon based on different criteria (e.g. ease-of-use, cost, safety, effectiveness-in-multiple-situations, etc.)

[/ QUOTE ]
There are decisions you can make -- such as choosing a handgun with a 20 round clip, having a shotgun shortened to minimum legal length, etc. Ease-of-use (I would say proficiency) is #1 -- if you can't use it, it's no good. The point is, you can't just take any .22 pistol and feel protected. Since so many people are having a problem with the "likely opponent" -- I'll just say that for law abiding citizens I think it should be legal to own "state-of-the-art" weapons similar to those you might find in a police impound room.
Old 10-06-2005, 04:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]
OP was asking should there be any limit on the weapon one should be able to buy. One guy replied in this thread that you should buy the weapon that is better than your likely opponent's weapon.

I say your likely opponent's weapon is nearly impossible to predict because there are so many different possibilities, all of which are unlikely. I also say that "better" is hard to define: a hidden handgun might be "better" than an AK-47 in some circumstances.

-ptmusic

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, for me, this would be my weapon of choice for self defense. Basically, its the Commando version of a very reliable Carbine by H&K. I am perfectly capable of handling this weapon, I am able to afford this weapon, I have no criminal record (and nothing that would be on it if I had done something wrong), yet, I am pretty sure I cannot go out and buy this weapon. I am trying to see if I can however.

I personally WANT this weapon because its a very good weapon and can fill a lot of different roles for me. I also want this to carry concealed.

So, do you think this is actually unreasonable? If you tell me I don't "need" one of these, I have one question for you. Who the hell are you, or anyone else, to tell me what I "need" or dont "need".
Old 10-06-2005, 04:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I am pretty sure I cannot go out and buy this weapon

[/ QUOTE ]

Sadly, you cannot without a Class III dealer's license
Old 10-06-2005, 05:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I am pretty sure I cannot go out and buy this weapon

[/ QUOTE ]

Sadly, you cannot without a Class III dealer's license

[/ QUOTE ]

That's what I was running into, perhaps I can acquire one. I really like that gun.