FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-27-2005, 07:35 PM

Default Re: ***The OFFICIAL Last Week of the Baseball Season Thread (AL)***

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
home field advantage doesn't mean anything now when it's go time.

[/ QUOTE ]

Most people seem to think home field is even more important at...er, go time.

[/ QUOTE ]

tell that to bucky dent.

[/ QUOTE ]

Why would I tell that to Bucky Dent? Would be able to provide insight?

Or, are you trying to make a joke that is badly dated?

[/ QUOTE ]

It's a kneejerk thing. Whenever a Yankee fan is scared of the Red Sox, he starts spouting ancient inanities about lucky home runs or trades that took place in the early 1900's.

Kind of sad, really. [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]

One-game playoffs in the East and the Central. Sox win in both divisions. Cleveland takes the wild card.

[/ QUOTE ]

If Chicago and Cleveland tie for both the Division, and the Wildcard, there is no one game playoff. The division champ is the team that won more of the head to head games, and the other team is the wildcard.
Old 09-27-2005, 11:17 PM

so apparently no one want the wild card lead tonight...
Old 09-27-2005, 11:18 PM

Sox blew a big chance to take the lead today.

Schilling continues to prove that DIPS is a bunch of crap. 8 K's, 1 BB and 10 hits.

At least the Yanks are blowing up. Sad thing is that they might have stood a chance if Torre stuck with Mussina. No way Al Leiter is a better choice to pitch, regardless of what happened in the first 2 innings.
Old 09-27-2005, 11:22 PM

am i the only person for whom yahoo sports and espn are not updating for? everything is stuck in the bottom of the 7th. the sox were down 6-5 in the top of the ninth with 2nd and 3rd no outs so i assume they lost.

as for mussina, doug, he was bad. really bad. i agree leiter is a joke and shouldnt have been used, but since mussina could be injured and was totally ineffective he definitely should have been taken out.
Old 09-27-2005, 11:24 PM

Default Re: AL Playoff Tiebreaker

I was just thinking of making the opposite bet.

As gutwrenching as this weekend's games will be, it's what it's all about. Three years in a row down to the wire. We should consider ourselves fortunate, there are teams who haven't had even a taste in many years.

I'm a Yankee fan; I got to watch Wakefield a bit this afternoon. How can you not admire the guy? Never a bad word from his mouth, never anything but the best he can do for as long as he can do it. And he's pitching wonderfully. I've joked with Clarkmeister about it a bit, but I have to say, Wakefield has heart. Good man.
Old 09-27-2005, 11:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]
am i the only person for whom yahoo sports and espn are not updating for? everything is stuck in the bottom of the 7th. the sox were down 6-5 in the top of the ninth with 2nd and 3rd no outs so i assume they lost.

as for mussina, doug, he was bad. really bad. i agree leiter is a joke and shouldnt have been used, but since mussina could be injured and was totally ineffective he definitely should have been taken out.

[/ QUOTE ]

I just don't believe a sample of less than 2 IPs has much meaning. Frequently you see pitcher's struggle early in the game and then regain their form later. The Sox have left pitchers in after getting battered early and usually it has worked out fine.
Old 09-27-2005, 11:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I just don't believe a sample of less than 2 IPs has much meaning. Frequently you see pitcher's struggle early in the game and then regain their form later. The Sox have left pitchers in after getting battered early and usually it has worked out fine.

[/ QUOTE ]

this is a little different, mussina is coming off an injury and no one was sure whether he was back to being able to pitch every 5 days. he was leaving pitches waaaay over the plate, it was really ugly.
Old 09-27-2005, 11:40 PM

Default massive chumpage tonight

sox blow a 3 run lead twice.

yanks blow a 2 run lead.

and tribe ground into a double play with runners on 1st and 3rd and 1 out. what a shame.
Old 09-27-2005, 11:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

this is a little different, mussina is coming off an injury and no one was sure whether he was back to being able to pitch every 5 days. he was leaving pitches waaaay over the plate, it was really ugly.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'll take your word for it. But the bar is set pretty low if the other option is Al Leiter.
Old 09-28-2005, 12:02 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I'll take your word for it. But the bar is set pretty low if the other option is Al Leiter.

[/ QUOTE ]

Leiter has pitched okay at times.

The official white flag is hoisted any time Scott Proctor gets the ball.