Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-27-2005, 12:37 AM

Default Re: 11 things to help pull out of a downswing...

[ QUOTE ]
sorry. thought it was just referring to hu and sh (meaning 6 max ring games)

[/ QUOTE ]

No need to apologize - it's a relatively common occurrence since this isn't explicitly a limit only forum. It's just become a limit only and most of the NL/PL players stick to the forums specified as NL/PL, even for HU and SH NL games. Just wanted to point you in the right direction if you're interested in NL/PL concepts.
Old 10-27-2005, 12:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]
5. Tighten up preflop. (21/15-16)
6. Tighten up postflop. (Look for a little extra in your odds)

[/ QUOTE ]

disagree wholeheartedly, unless you are on tilt and cannot make the proper play.

I just posted this in SS, I think it summarizes my disagreement.
Old 10-27-2005, 01:02 PM

If you're playing at a higher VPIP for a profit, it's likely because you're playing those more marginal hands well post flop. Since this post is more about "how to pull out of a downswing because you're not playing well" it seems to follow that not putting yourself in more marginal situations until you're playing better is a good idea.

WRT multitabling- I think that's such a function of personal preference and ability that I'd hesitate to say what's ever right for somebody else (beyond my belief that you're going to hell and your hands will fall off if you play more than 4 tables of SH at a time).
Old 10-27-2005, 02:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]
5. Tighten up preflop. (21/15-16)
6. Tighten up postflop. (Look for a little extra in your odds)

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't like these 2 advices (and like the others) - it's easy way to become weak-tighty. I used to try them both 1-2 times in SH and they only make my downstreak larger.

For now if i face downstreak - i never try to be more tight.
Old 10-27-2005, 02:20 PM

I believe that the tightening-up approach can benefit some people, but perhaps not others.

True, the most +EV way to play a hand should not, in theory, differ just because you happen to be on a -200 bb downswing. But the reality is that, at least some of us, become less confident the longer we go between winning sessions. The loss of confidence, in turn, can lead to objectively worse play. For that reason, it might in the long-term help a person recover faster by tightening up, and taking fewer risks, even if such play is not optimal ordinarily.
Old 10-27-2005, 02:56 PM

I agree with DMB, Ed, and Peter_Rus.

The essence of poker is the willingness to accept variance in exchange for EV. Most players who look to reduce their variance aren't doing it for practical reasons, they're doing it for reasons of comfort, and that's bad poker.

When you are in a downswing you must force yourself to find the best possible play at each moment.

The theoretical EV you earn from increasing your peace of mind by avoiding close EV situations is less than the EV you lose from reinforcing the bad habit of intentionally making the wrong play.

/mc
Old 10-27-2005, 02:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]
...The loss of confidence, in turn, can lead to objectively worse play...

[/ QUOTE ]

If this is the case there is only one solution: you must improve your play.

/mc
Old 11-01-2005, 02:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]
13. Leave a table if you start by losing more than 10-15-20BB (depending on how juicy it is). Dont stay and try to win it back, do that somewhere else.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think it's important to emphasize the 'depending on how juicy it is' part. You know when a table is good and if you get stuck at a good table - reload. Don't sit at a great table with 5BB's and hope to double up or something.

And you're definitely right, don't sit at a bad table trying to win money back from the one semi-loose player amidst the TAGs trying to get him back for that beat he put on you 5 orbits ago.

...crap, didn't realize I was digging up an old thread. Oh well, good thread anyway.