Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: What's your line?
Call 17 20.99%
Fold 12 14.81%
Re-raise 3 3.70%
Push all-in 49 60.49%
Voters: 81. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 08-23-2005, 04:10 PM

Default Re: 2+2: How smart are YOU?

[ QUOTE ]
Kids recruited for athletics get a bump in the admissions process. I did not receive a scholarship: sorry for the misunderstaning.

[/ QUOTE ]

Not a misunderstanding. You stated that you got in on an academic scholarship which is just plainly false as they don't exist. And, yes I know, as I was "expected" to run track at a number of those schools if I had chosen to attend.

And arguing a test measures intelligence when the group that writes the test insists to the contrary is just plain ignorant. Now as another poster rightly pointed out SAT scores may correlate with intelligence but its nearly impossible to assert that said correlation is in any way causal.
Old 08-23-2005, 04:13 PM

It was a misunderstanding on my part. I misspoke. By "scholarship" i meant to imply that I was admitted because of athletics, and not because of anything else. My bad.
Old 08-23-2005, 04:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]
When did Brown improve from "safety school for the affluent and underaccomplished" to "decent school"?

[/ QUOTE ]

i dont really wanna get caught up in this tizzy.. but i think brown is an excellent school, and one i should have considered instead of applying to 2 places i could go to for free.. holla
Old 08-23-2005, 04:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Also, I think its hilarious that you say that [ QUOTE ]

I like when people cut up citanul, because then I can put them on ignore and reduce the amount of worthless content I'm exposed to.

[/ QUOTE ] In other words, if someone disses citanul, something must be wrong with them(!), since of course he is BEYOND reproach. How dare anyone criticize him!

[/ QUOTE ]

Jesse,

It doesn't really have anything to do with whether either individual is a decent human being or whatever. I post on this board to both learn, and to help other people learn. Therefore, if a poster is not a) a nice person, and/or b) a talented poker player, I want them on ignore. It just reduces noise.
Old 08-23-2005, 04:18 PM

Undertandable (If you can read this [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img] )
Old 08-23-2005, 04:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]

i dont really wanna get caught up in this tizzy.. but i think brown is an excellent school, and one i should have considered instead of applying to 2 places i could go to for free.. holla

[/ QUOTE ]

Going for free is a pretty big deal. College is mostly what you make out of it. Going to a nice school is good in a lot of respects, but I think that the amount you learn is still largely a function of how much you choose to learn. A lot of people seem to think that going to an elite college means that they should now get an "education" without having to do much in the way of thinking or doing.
Old 08-23-2005, 04:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]
IQ would be a better measure then SAT as most people have had IQ tests.

[/ QUOTE ]

And if there is some interest (there is none from me) in this there are plenty of free sites that will allow a relatively consistent, unbiased sample.

http://www.intelligencetest.com/ for one.

FWIW, if I were to propose a common standardized test that would correlate reasonably well to the ability to play poker I would guess the LSAT would do it best.
Old 08-23-2005, 04:20 PM

Very true. I've got more debt than you would believe already after 1 year. It's really a personal choice, and college is definitely what you make of it.
Old 08-23-2005, 04:21 PM

SAT's have a statistically significant positive correation to LSAT scores, so if that's true, then that correlation would presumably apply to the original question of whether or not SAT scores are related to poker success.
Old 08-23-2005, 04:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]
IQ would be a better measure then SAT as most people have had IQ tests.

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh dont get Citanul started with IQ tests.
Closed Thread