FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: Stack Size
25 BB for all rounds 11 15.49%
50 BB for all rounds 25 35.21%
25 BB for early rounds, 50 BB for playoffs 35 49.30%
Other (please specify) 0 0%
Voters: 71. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-20-2005, 12:50 AM

Default Re: How would Bruce Lee have fared in the UFC?

Bruce didn't favor the insistence styles be learned sequentially, either. He wasn't in favor of a "ten-year-plan," and in that was quite different from his colleagues, often even to this day.

Learning completely different subjects from different teachers was quite a different thing, too. It can't be compared to, say, learning Hung Gar or Choy Li Fut at the same time you were learning Wing Chun. That sort of thing didn't wash.
Old 08-20-2005, 05:58 AM

[ QUOTE ]
It's history, not theory. You're way too caught up in theory. If you don't even know the most elementary history of karate, then you are very ignorant when it comes to martial arts.

Holding NHB tournaments as the measure of anything but NHB tournaments is a big mistake.

The idea that you have any idea who the greatest fighters in the world are is a pretty wild one indeed.

[/ QUOTE ]

lol dude, we are talking about theory here not history. He is asking how would Bruce Lee have fared in the UFC. The ufc is a NHB tournament and thus measures NHB skill.

We can talk about history if you want, but it is off topic. I do have an elementary knowlege of Karate (I respect the Shaolin monks), and I think Karate as style of fighting is a silly idea. I don't bow before I step on the mat. I don't bother wearing a Gi. Karate is not fighting. It is not relevant to this discussion.
Old 08-20-2005, 06:16 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I'm not positive, but I think you said karate (I pray you were at least talking about Kempo Karate) was somehow better than ju jitzu for hand to hand combat, which is not only untrue, it is simply stupid.

[/ QUOTE ]

No, he is pointing out that the father of modern karate popularized Karate over Jujitsu in Japan.

[ QUOTE ]
The gracie family had an open challenge to the world for many many years and remained undefeated until just the last 10 years.
Ground game is of extreme importance. You will NOT succeed as a NHB fighter without fairly strong ground game. This includes take downs and defence (wrestling or judo) and at least a competence in submission wrestling or ju jitzu.

[/ QUOTE ]

You DO realize that Jujitsu is a general term. Brazilian Jujitsu is just ONE specific style of jujitsu, and is unique because it emphasizes ground game. I wouldnt be surprised if you didnt even know what traditional Jujitsu is like, since you spelled jujitsu incorrectly over and over.

You clearly showed your ignorance when you assumed brazilian jujitsu speaks for all styles of jujitsu.

[ QUOTE ]
As far as bruce lee's stand up game, his style was jeet kune do. How many jeet kune do fighters excel in modern NHB combat?

[/ QUOTE ]

You are pretty retarded. Jeet Kune Do is NOT a system. Its how Bruce Lee interpreted combat in general. For him, it combined western boxing, various kicking styles, wing chun close quarter trapping, and even ground work. He has plenty of examples in his book with notes and examples of western boxing techniques, jujitsu techniques, aikido takedowns, wrestling takedowns, muay thai kicks, savate kicks, etc etc etc. You could say its well rounded and adaptive. How can you even argue with that? You are pretty ignorant.

[ QUOTE ]
As far as my experience in NHB, It has shown me how the greatest fighters in the world today train. Chuck Lidell, the guys out of the lions den (shamrock etc.), Bas Ruten out at beverly hills ju jitzu. Most of these major gyms share a similar training regimen.

[/ QUOTE ]

Do you mean they place great emphasis on physical well being, quick movements, and well rounded ness in fighting styles/abilities? Do they take punching skills, kicking abilities, and grappling seriously? Are they always looking to improve themselves and find an edge in combat? Sounds like some revolutionary ideas Bruce Lee came up with 30-40 years ago! WOW!

[ QUOTE ]
Ju jitzu, muy thai and western boxing. Include some wrestling take down techniques and some judo stuff.

[/ QUOTE ]

Uhhh.. I hope you DO know that Judo is simply a derivative of Jujitsu; its Jujitsu watered down... So why mention it twice? Because you simply dont even know what you are talking about.

[ QUOTE ]
I never said thai fighters were invencible, I said the style is important to train, it is a strong mix of western boxing with deadly knees and elbows. I personally strive to do well and muy thai, but I am much stronger in western boxing.

[/ QUOTE ]

Bruce Lee gave props to Muay Thai.

[/ QUOTE ]

As for the first part, I said I wasn't sure if thats what he was saying [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img].

In modern NHB combat, the word jujitsu is synonymous with BJJ. Mention jujitsu to Chuck Lidell and he will assume BJJ.
For example, "Chris has tight jitz game." This means he is well trained in BJJ.

BJJ and Judo are two completely different things in modern combat. They may have the same historical roots, but they aren't the same thing.
Old 08-20-2005, 06:28 AM

I also want to note that I am not taking anything away from Bruce Lee. I think he is an awesome figure, and I respect his abilities as a fighter. "Essence of Jeet Kune Do" is a highly recommended read. I am just saying that if you took him out of his prime, without giving him the chance to catch up with modern NHB fighters, and sent him into the ring, he wouldn't survive.

If he were to have a year to train in the most effective methods of fighting, then he could compete without question.

I am not a martial artist; I am a fighter. A large percentage of modern NHB fighters feel the same way.

Bruce Lee helped further martial arts and fighting in general in the late 60's. The game has continued to progress since then. At his phyiscal prime, Bruce Lee did not have as much knowledge about what works and what doesn't work as modern fighters do.

I'm not real sure where the argument is, because without further training, Bruce Lee (during his prime) couldn't compete at the highest level with professional fighters of today, and its not close.

Edit to add: I realize that Bruce felt the most important thinga bout jeet kune do was the process. It was not a product, but a process. However, today Jeet Kune Do is taught at many places as an art or style. While incorrect by Bruce's mentality, I feel that this art or style they teach is refelective of the methods Bruce used when engaged in combat during his prime.
Old 08-20-2005, 11:31 AM

Location: seattle!!!__ too sunny to be in a cardroom....ahhh, one more hand

Didn't Bruce also have to fight a master from overseas from his old 'style'? Much to what you are alluding to with people not liking deviation, he had to have a showdown at his training place where they fought head to head.

I always found that story kinda cool.

It woulda been a great match to watch.

b
Old 08-20-2005, 12:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]
since kenjutsu + iaido were considered one and the same

[/ QUOTE ]

This is sort of true, but not exaclty. They are sometimes used interchangeably. And they're used togehter, but they're not identical. I guess Iado is a part of kenjutsu in a way, but there are teachers that specialize.
Old 08-20-2005, 05:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
It's history, not theory. You're way too caught up in theory. If you don't even know the most elementary history of karate, then you are very ignorant when it comes to martial arts.

Holding NHB tournaments as the measure of anything but NHB tournaments is a big mistake.

The idea that you have any idea who the greatest fighters in the world are is a pretty wild one indeed.

[/ QUOTE ]

lol dude, we are talking about theory here not history. He is asking how would Bruce Lee have fared in the UFC. The ufc is a NHB tournament and thus measures NHB skill.

We can talk about history if you want, but it is off topic. I do have an elementary knowlege of Karate (I respect the Shaolin monks), and I think Karate as style of fighting is a silly idea. I don't bow before I step on the mat. I don't bother wearing a Gi. Karate is not fighting. It is not relevant to this discussion.

[/ QUOTE ]

Are you drunk? The history specifically being discussed was that of karate. Don't play stupid games.

Everyone else seemed to notice but you, but perhaps because they weren't playing games, talking out of their ass about things they didn't know, or trying to cover their tracks.

Dude ... for shame. Truly.
Old 08-20-2005, 05:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Didn't Bruce also have to fight a master from overseas from his old 'style'? Much to what you are alluding to with people not liking deviation, he had to have a showdown at his training place where they fought head to head.

I always found that story kinda cool.

It woulda been a great match to watch.

b

[/ QUOTE ]

That's the fight people talk about a lot, but he had a number of fights in America, and had so many fights in Hong Kong that his parents kicked him out of the hemisphere.

The guy he fought that people talk about was Wong Jack Man, but he was from a different style. Now that he's dead, there's a lot of revisionist "explanations" of that fight, some pretty funny, such as Wong's claim that he held back, because his kicks were "too deadly."
Old 08-20-2005, 05:28 PM

Bruce can shoot lightning ive seen it in a video game no way you can beat a man who can shoot lightning
Old 08-20-2005, 05:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
since kenjutsu + iaido were considered one and the same

[/ QUOTE ]

This is sort of true, but not exaclty. They are sometimes used interchangeably. And they're used togehter, but they're not identical. I guess Iado is a part of kenjutsu in a way, but there are teachers that specialize.

[/ QUOTE ]

Sure it was. Back in the beginning, there wasnt any difference between killing someone by drawing your sword out, or by having your sword already out; either way you are killing him with your sword skills. In fact, even if you choose to differentiate, it wasnt even called iaido/iaijutsu I believe...

In Kenshin they called it Battou-Jutsu [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]