Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Internet Gambling > Internet Gambling
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: What should KaneFu do with the money?
Leave the decision to El D's superior judgement. 33 16.18%
Add it to his mid/high stakes roll. 4 1.96%
Burn it while laughing maniacally. 21 10.29%
Pay it to Yugo as promised. 146 71.57%
Voters: 204. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-25-2005, 09:33 PM

Default Re: Your ENTIRE bankroll on AA...do you do it?

1 - I don't have $50k to risk on this.
unless we're counting retirement accounts that are in my name that my parents started for me when I was born and stuff like that.

2 - I take 'bankroll' to mean ALL your money.
If you are able to hang onto your various savings and what-not and say 'well...they aren't really part of my poker-bankroll' then heck yes I do it.

I've got money in my checking acct (or even my neteller acct) but I think of that as part of my bankroll.
I always have 2-3 months of expenses saved up that is also part of my bankroll even though I know I'm not going to put that money at risk without stepping WAY down in limits before getting to that point.

but it's still there of course....and I actually was considering it to be part of my 'roll' for purposes of this question because I can't play WITHOUT the 2-3 months expenses saved up....so it IS a necessity.

So...if I have $20k in total money right now and you let me do this for only $10k (and let me call that $10k my 'total roll') and let me keep the the other $10k of 'non-poker-bankroll' money even if I lost the hand then that changes things dramatically.

I believe the question as stated implies that you will have $0 left to your name if you lose the bet.
But there are obviously different ideas of what a 'poker bankroll' should mean in this question.
Old 07-25-2005, 09:39 PM

as little as $500 I have no doubt I could parlay that into $50,000 by the end of 12 months

god bless online poker, huh?

i find it absolutely amazing that i have zero doubt you could do this. however, the offset is that we are losing some brilliant minds with all these young guys leaving college to pursue pro poker. i don't know what the long term effect will be, but i guarantee there will be one. the fact that someone who is willing to apply themselves is perfectly capable of making huge sums of money at online poker is kinda sad for society imo. but i sit here and make money on the business of poker, so i really can't complain or lecture without being a hypocrite.
Old 07-25-2005, 09:39 PM

If you ever have the opportunity to bet your entire bankroll on one hand, then you're underbankrolled.
Old 07-25-2005, 09:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]
as little as $500 I have no doubt I could parlay that into $50,000 by the end of 12 months

[/ QUOTE ]

but it's a little bit trickier getting from $0 to $500.
In my case, I would have to get an actual job or get someone to stake me. Otherwise, Zero dollars means Zero dollars.

Poker-wise I guess I could just hit every freeroll in the book until I start winning. But I think my bills might catch up with me before I get very far.
Old 07-25-2005, 09:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Dogmeat - How many BB's do you have in your roll?

[/ QUOTE ]

I have over 1000BB

FWIW, before my vacation, I happily called a preflop all-in reraise on the Party NL1000 game (where I had been winning and the other player still had me outchipped) with AA - If I could have added my whole bankroll, I would have. Sure, I'd have been a total a-hole for a month if that happened and I lost, but I'd have no regret over my decision.

Again, FWIW, I posted about having $122 at a site and playing just to that amount there (I'm still playing at other sites too) for 30 days - I'm sure that will grow to well over $1000 before that 30 days goes by, and I won't tapout because I am the ultimate grinder when I need to be.

Dogmeat [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]
Old 07-25-2005, 09:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
If you wouldn't put your entire bankroll pre-flop on AA, then why are you playing poker? That's the best odds poker has to offer!

[/ QUOTE ]

Correct.
The 32% of people who answered no should not be playing poker.

[/ QUOTE ]

No, this is incorrect. Of course if you have your entire bankroll in play, you should call all in with AA. But you should never have your entire bankroll in play. If you are truly a long term winning player, the long term EV of continuing to have a viable bankroll and win continuously ad nauseum using that bankroll outweights the opportunity to double up with a 15 percent risk of ruin. I haven't read all the responses yet so I'm betting I'm saying something that's already been said.
Old 07-25-2005, 09:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm sure that will grow to well over $1000 before that 30 days goes by

[/ QUOTE ]

I think I picked $6100 or something for your little contest.
So you damn well better do 'well over' $1000!! I'm counting on you!!!
Old 07-25-2005, 09:53 PM

Location: duffman is thrusting in the direction of the problem (mets are 9-13, currently on a 1 game winning streak)

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
If you wouldn't put your entire bankroll pre-flop on AA, then why are you playing poker? That's the best odds poker has to offer!

[/ QUOTE ]

Correct.
The 32% of people who answered no should not be playing poker.

[/ QUOTE ]

it would make no sense for me to do this. if I had twice my roll I'd be way overrolled for 30/60 that I might consider playing it. right now I'm playign 10/20 and making a very nice amount per hour. I'd make maybe 50 bucks more an hour

if I lost my roll I'd be back at .5/1 making minimum wage. so if I lose I lose 250-300 an hour for a looooooooooong time. if I win I make an extra $50 an hour it doesn't benefit me that much, other than all the money I win. the opportunity cost of losing is just too big. if I had a 3k roll I think it would be worth ti. it would take less time to build back up and that extra 3k would let me play 5/10 6m
Old 07-25-2005, 10:00 PM

I'd put half my bankroll, maybe even 75%, on it no question, but I don't think I could bring myself to put the whole thing at risk. I don't have another job to make money (college student playing during the summer), and I don't know if I could get someone to stake me. I don't really have the gambling mindset anyway, so winning wouldn't be nearly as +happiness as losing would be -happiness.
Old 07-25-2005, 10:13 PM

for the ppl saying no

what % of your bankroll would you be willing to risk on this type of situation

I'd prob go 25-50%