Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Science, Math, and Philosophy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-16-2005, 02:58 PM

Default Re: Politically Incorrect WSOP Post

Don't know the US demographics two well. Is This White american xtian groups generally the same group that has it all laid on a plate for them.
I've met a few that have visited the UK.
Do you need to have a little hunger for money/esteem etc. to get good at poker???
Old 07-16-2005, 03:59 PM

I think this whole dispute can be settled in a pure thinking contest.
Old 07-18-2005, 06:27 PM

Surely someone as well versed in statistics as yourself shouldn't be confusing correlation with causation, rookie mistake.
Old 07-18-2005, 06:57 PM

White Americans are bad at a lot of things. They are also good at a lot of things. It depends on the skill and subject.

Most of the brilliant Asian/Jewish math/science types I know are hopeless human beings. I don't know how they tie thier shoes in the morning. Thier inability to communicate or work in groups means thier talents are useless. They also don't seem to understand simple game theory. They do most of the hard work while others reap the benefits. They never stand up for themselves. They have no self-confidence.

I'm very good at math. I could become an engineer or a mathematician. But I don't do it because I think those people are suckers. Most of the engineering/science majors I know at my school hate what they do, they only do it because its the only talent they have and they can't put in the effort to develope themselves.
Old 07-18-2005, 08:50 PM

"Most of the brilliant Asian/Jewish math/science types I know are hopeless human beings."

OK. Stipulated. Doesn't change my point. Unless you claim that studying math and science MAKES you this way.
Old 07-18-2005, 09:40 PM

I agree, I think the causality goes the other way. Hopeless anti-social people tend to wander into math/science. Often I find they use thier math/science ability to justify thier deficiencies in other areas. I was the same way most of my education. The real world teaches some life lessons though.

That's the thing though. There are many different kind of skills. Just being better at math/science doesn't necessarrily make you a better person.

I share your frustration with the average american. I've dealt with enough of these moron silver spoon kids in my day. Thier ignorance astounds me. Thier arrogance is revolting. I agree that America is basically being led by the top minds and the rest are feeding of them.

However, your statement is a bit generalistic. I don't think that Americans are deficient in math/science because they are "bad people" or something. Rather, I think it is that very few people like those subjects, they are less interesting then other fields of study (to most people), and as such they are happy to outsource the things they don't want to do to others.

I may be biased in that most of the math/science/engineering types I know don't like what they do. They want a paycheck/status/familial acceptence and this how they get it.
Old 07-18-2005, 11:59 PM

lehighguy --
"That's the thing though. There are many different kind of skills. Just being better at math/science doesn't necessarrily make you a SMARTER person."

Fixed your quote for purposes of this topic.

PairTheBoard
Old 07-21-2005, 05:51 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Alright change it to 40.

[/ QUOTE ]

your point isn't a bad one, but having just spent 4 years studying physics (and really, i slacked off fo rmost of my senior year) it would be impossible for someone to learn what I know about physics in 40 hours.

change it to 1 year and we can start talking.
Old 07-21-2005, 07:41 AM

Mr. Sklansky...I think you hit this one broadside earlier when you said "they are either too lazy to apply themselves, too stupid to understand the subject even if they applied themselves, or that there is something about their religion that stifles this thirst for far reaching knowledge. I'll choose the third reason. What about you?"

I believe this subject matter is entirely secular - therefore point A was the correct assertion. Laziness and ego are the undoing of the semi-priviledged class (extraordinarily priviledged when taken in the world view) of white-American-christian-male's. They do not seek knowledge because they are CERTAIN that it is already theirs by birthright! This ego leads to laziness which in turn leads to a mediocrity in their success (we're speaking in broad, general terms). I'll grant you that a segment of staunch Christians lean upon the mysticism of their religion far too often as a way of explaining that which they find inexplicible (which, as we know, is often not the case when mathematics or science are involved) - but ultimately this is more often a matter of simple laziness rather than devout or fervent belief. Which, to me at least, seems to be the real problem - that the tenets of Christian religious faith often encourage the sort of "it's out of my hands" laziness that lead to a reliance on "luck" or "fate" or such other math-defying nonsense.
Old 07-22-2005, 03:12 AM

Amen ( oh, sorry )

Couldnt agree more with all of this post. As a woman who has worked in a technical field for ten years I have encountered so many white, christian, americain males who overrate themselves and are basically lazy and happy to reap the benefits of a system designed by them and for them.

It brings down standards and is somewhat less than admirable ( to put it mildly ).

The sense of entitlement in some of these individuals is mindboggling.