Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-25-2005, 05:41 PM

Default Re: looking for the muck? can i find it? should i?

hi mike

this is one of those razor thin areas that are too close to call at the table. as long as your action closes things up, you should call. just remember not to think a lot about your call in one of these spots. just casually call it down like you never even gave folding a thought.
Old 06-25-2005, 06:02 PM

Default Re: Nope, not right, Ike.

[ QUOTE ]
I play tilt-free poker because I don't make big laydowns in big pots for 1 bet on the river -- these river situations which are very close calls present themselves so infrequently that folding, IMO, is a mistake, if the thought of what the fellow might have had will cross your mind even once after the next hand is dealt.

[/ QUOTE ]

If anybody's reasoning for calling in these spots is largely based on this, you're trying to improve your game all wrong. Learn to get beyond caring about results in spots like this in particular and allowing yourself to experience any emotion in poker in general and you'll no longer be forced to choose between a slightly losing play and slightly tilting. These lose/lose situations come up a lot, and it's fine to admit that you still have them in your game and choose whichever you feel is best for you. But to acknowledge their presence and choose to continually lose one way or the other instead of making an effort to remove these situations entirely...well, why would you?

GoT
Old 06-27-2005, 07:50 AM

Default Re: Nope, not right, Ike.

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I play tilt-free poker because I don't make big laydowns in big pots for 1 bet on the river -- these river situations which are very close calls present themselves so infrequently that folding, IMO, is a mistake, if the thought of what the fellow might have had will cross your mind even once after the next hand is dealt.

[/ QUOTE ]

If anybody's reasoning for calling in these spots is largely based on this, you're trying to improve your game all wrong. Learn to get beyond caring about results in spots like this in particular and allowing yourself to experience any emotion in poker in general and you'll no longer be forced to choose between a slightly losing play and slightly tilting. These lose/lose situations come up a lot, and it's fine to admit that you still have them in your game and choose whichever you feel is best for you. But to acknowledge their presence and choose to continually lose one way or the other instead of making an effort to remove these situations entirely...well, why would you?

GoT

[/ QUOTE ]

bears reading twice.