Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-04-2005, 05:02 PM

Default Re: SNG Quiz

I'm not an SNG player. Can someone briefly explain why a reasonable calling range in 4) is AA/possibly KK only ??!
Just seems surprising thats all !
Old 06-04-2005, 05:18 PM

I thought the cards were AQos
Old 06-04-2005, 05:23 PM

Default Eg. Freemoney\'s Gut Instinct

[ QUOTE ]
i was asking more from a i think i should be at about 10% for ROI and through 250 im down like 2k

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 06-04-2005, 05:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm not an SNG player. Can someone briefly explain why a reasonable calling range in 4) is AA/possibly KK only ??!

[/ QUOTE ]

The 2+2 community feels that you should never ever ever call, which is why they also feel it is correct to push any 2.
Old 06-04-2005, 05:52 PM

Do you disagree? Is it worth calling here to discourage SB? But you have to calling with a lot of hands you shouldn't...
Old 06-04-2005, 05:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

From SNG 101 (j/k):

1) On the bubble, you want to avoid busting out, because after the next player busts out, you get paid (something).

2) Therefore, the logical strategy is to play very tight and only play hands that you think have a large chance of winning (really, really, good hands). Therefore, whenever you enter a pot, anyone with out a really good hand would be foolish to call, because they know you'd only enter with a great hand.

3) However, if you wait for these great hands, the blinds will eventually chew away your stack and you'll be blinded out. So instead, you basically bluff a great hand.

4) You would think that this would lead to people calling a lot more, knowing this. However, they have to account for the fact that occaisionally, you WILL have one of these big hands and bust them.

5) So, you have to wiegh the options of a) calling without a great hand and taking a chance of getting busted yourself with b) folding and then pushing yourself when you get the chance. The math (which I'll leave as an exercise for the reader) says that probability-wise, once the blinds get to a certain level, "B" is the best option.

Edit: before any busts me on this, this is deliberately oversimplified in order to explain the basic gap concept coupled with rising blinds.
Old 06-04-2005, 06:02 PM

Default Re: Eg. Freemoney\'s Gut Instinct

i mean check my pokerprophecy numbers, datamine me, watch me when im playing, play me at the tables you tell me how i do. i was running bad when i began, i know what i said, its funny how you guys think only calling with AA and MAYBE KK but pushing with any 2 is a good strategy, its working well for most you guys, keep tryin to eek out a profit at 10+1.
Old 06-04-2005, 07:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]
but pushing with any 2 is a good strategy, its working well for most you guys, keep tryin to eek out a profit at 10+1.

[/ QUOTE ]

I stomp the lower buyins with this strategy. I mean, absolutely crush them. And it's not even close.

I saw that you posted some HHs, which is good on ya. When I'm at my home computer, I'll take a look.
Old 06-04-2005, 07:24 PM

I'm still trying to sort all this out. Could someone please help my understand why BB would fold AK if he knew SB was pushing any two?

If he folds, ICM shows him with 31.48% equity in the prize pool.

If opponent is pushing with any two, AK is a pretty good favorite against that range, right?

The trouble I am having with ICM is that in trying to calculate the BB's resultant prize pool equity if he calls and wins, I'm getting a result that seems counterintuitive. It shows a 6000-chip stack at 44.6% equity against two 1000-chip stacks.

Unless I'm interpreting something wrong here, it seems to me that this puts the opponents, collectively, as a favorite against the big stack. That doesn't make a lot of sense to me. It means that the BB will finish second/third more often than first. Can this be correct?

Here's a question for you: if the SB pushed with AQo and then tabled his cards, what would the BB do with AK? My intuition says that he should call (and I would expect that yours does, too). How are you doing the math to come up with the answer to a question like this? Thanks.
Old 06-04-2005, 07:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]
lol first of all by ssaying that every good player will answer the question correctly meaning the same as you is arrogant and the belief that there is only one answer is categorically wrong. for example there are different good 2+2'ers that range in how they play that spot. but my answers...

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
i mean check my pokerprophecy numbers, datamine me, watch me when im playing, play me at the tables you tell me how i do. i was running bad when i began, i know what i said, its funny how you guys think only calling with AA and MAYBE KK but pushing with any 2 is a good strategy, its working well for most you guys, keep tryin to eek out a profit at 10+1.

[/ QUOTE ]

Is it possible that somebody else is being a little bit arrogant too?