Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-04-2005, 10:14 AM

Default Re: Most overrated supposed-to-be-smart movie?

Other than OP's movie, I've liked almost every movie listed in here. I have no idea what anyone here is thinking, other than "hey this movie is popular, I should be different and say I don't like it!"
Old 06-04-2005, 11:43 AM

I agree with The Usual Suspects comments - IMO Because the ending was very good (and unusual at the time) the majority of people forget how [censored] the first hour and a half or so was
Old 06-05-2005, 12:51 PM

Are you kidding???
Old 06-04-2005, 12:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Other than OP's movie, I've liked almost every movie listed in here. I have no idea what anyone here is thinking, other than "hey this movie is popular, I should be different and say I don't like it!"

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree - I don't get all the fighting over over a list of pretty good movies. With regard to the OP, my vote goes to American Beauty. It's a good movie, but a little too in love with its own supposed profundity. It doesn't hold up well to repeated viewings, in my opinion.
Old 06-04-2005, 01:11 PM

i know i took a beating for saying david lynch, but his movies are perfect for this topic.

if you want to decipher weird puzzles, plot lines, and dream sequences, then he's perfect for you.

otherwise - they are mostly overrated, supposed-to-be-smart movies.

fight club is THE most undeserving movie to be mentioned in this thread.

citizen kane wasn't supposed to be smart. so anyone nominating that didn't read the topic in the first place.
Old 06-04-2005, 01:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]
i know i took a beating for saying david lynch, but his movies are perfect for this topic.

if you want to decipher weird puzzles, plot lines, and dream sequences, then he's perfect for you.

otherwise - they are mostly overrated, supposed-to-be-smart movies.

[/ QUOTE ]

If they have complex plots, symbolism, and imagery that has a purpose (whether open-ended or not) and if all this stuff makes you really think long and hard to figure it out, then wouldn't this be an "actual" smart movie instead of a "supposed to be" smart movie? I think the idea here is movies that try way too hard to be pretentious when they're really pretty dumb.
Old 06-04-2005, 01:20 PM

okay, i somewhat agree with that.

the problem with lynch is that rarely can anyone ever agree on what said symbolism, etc is.

you have all of these smart people who come up with two or three possibilities for what a movie means and what you end up with is a form of abstract art film making.
Old 06-04-2005, 01:48 PM

Regarding Americant Beauty... I disagree. I enjoy it more, and get more out of it, with each successive viewing. That, in my opinion, is what defines an excellent "smart" movie.
Old 06-04-2005, 01:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree that a thread like this tends to end up in some strange discussion based on context rather than the movies itself. I have to admit a not small part of my aversion against The Matrix and Amelie is based on people saying "hey this movie is different, I will be popular if I say I like it!" Argh. The Matrix is not different or smart or a mind opener. It's a sci-fi action flick Keanu Reeves. And you are not Amelie and she didn't change your life - just stop it!

That said, I think this kind of movies (as group) is very likeable and therefore it's a whole lot more fun to pick out the bad apples.

/twang
Old 06-04-2005, 11:58 AM

Lost in Translation.

The only thing that saved it was Scarlett Johansson in see-through panties.