Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Televised Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-11-2005, 11:29 AM

Default Re: \"They\'d be drawing dead.\" Barry G on tournament pros...

Re the WPT:
But they've profitted plenty too

Actually, they haven't turned a profit yet. Lost money again in March quarter...

http://biz.yahoo.com/bw/050510/106108.html?.v=1

Of course, the founders have made lots of money through going public and I don't doubt they WILL be profitable... but right now, there is no 'profit' that they could add back to prize pools..
Old 05-11-2005, 11:44 AM

I get the feeling that I am falling into some elaborate ruse and you either don't fully believe the things you are saying or that there are 3 or 4 layers of sarcasm that I am missing. I will play along anyway.

[ QUOTE ]
That's right. They are the only examples I have, true. But they are enough to show how this guy plays or played.

[/ QUOTE ]
This is what I mean. You seem a little out there sometimes... but you absolutely have to be smarter than this.

[ QUOTE ]
If you are cliaming that he is skillfull, you most certainly need examples or at the minimum something demonstrable (reasons) backing up your cla1m.

[/ QUOTE ]
At no point did I claim he or anyone else was/was not skillful. I am simply pointing out that you have no grounds for making a claim either way.

[ QUOTE ]
Do it! I don't believe that you can. Besides I bet that a good dice player knows a lot more about dice than this guy knows about Poker.

[/ QUOTE ]
What would be the point? You have publicly declared your disdain for him so many times that even if I did provide links you would most likely 1) not read them or 2) denounce them regardless of their content.

In any event:
One
Two
JJ analysis
More AQ analysis
Bay 101 final hand
Bay 101 final hand long version

That's enough for now since I have doubts that you will even read those. I still have the rest of '04 and '05 for more if you want.

-tpir
Old 05-11-2005, 11:49 AM

How does it matter where they make there money.

If Phil Hellmuth makes $10,000,000 from writing a book and selling poker chips. And Barry G. makes 9,000,000 from playing in the "big game".

Who has had the more successful poker Career ?
Old 05-11-2005, 11:55 AM

Actually, if Helmuth makes $10,000,000 writing a book. He has a very successful WRITING career.
Old 05-11-2005, 11:55 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Re the WPT:
But they've profitted plenty too

Actually, they haven't turned a profit yet. Lost money again in March quarter...

http://biz.yahoo.com/bw/050510/106108.html?.v=1

Of course, the founders have made lots of money through going public and I don't doubt they WILL be profitable... but right now, there is no 'profit' that they could add back to prize pools..

[/ QUOTE ]

Interesting. Thanks for the response.
Old 05-11-2005, 12:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]
How does it matter where they make there money.

If Phil Hellmuth makes $10,000,000 from writing a book and selling poker chips. And Barry G. makes 9,000,000 from playing in the "big game".

Who has had the more successful poker Career ?

[/ QUOTE ]

making $10,000,000 selling potatoe chips doesn't make you a successful poker player, and those better be some good [censored] chips. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 05-11-2005, 12:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Actually, if Helmuth makes $10,000,000 writing a book. He has a very successful WRITING career.

[/ QUOTE ]

Semantically you're right since the other poster said "writing a book". But if he said "writing a poker book" that is part of his poker career.
Old 05-11-2005, 12:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Semantically you're right since the other poster said "writing a book". But if he said "writing a poker book" that is part of his poker career.

[/ QUOTE ]

That is obviously what I meant. So some of these guys have discovered that these side projects are nice safe money... who cares.

I really can't believe that a player as savvy as Barry G. would get his panties in a bunch over who the public thinks is the best Poker player. The only reason I can think of that he would make these comments, is to try to provoke some of these players into playing in his game.
Old 05-11-2005, 12:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Not semantics at all. Writing the best poker book in the world doesnt make you the best poker player. The arguement is not who makes the most money off the industry of poker, but who is the best poker player. Generally, making the most money at a poker game with the least amount of luck involved is what would make one considered the best poker player. Selling books, internet sites and Knob Creek is great coin if you can get it, but does not get you any respect as a card player.
Old 05-11-2005, 12:23 PM

You might be on to something about challenging the tourny players to get them in his game. But I think he's just venting because he thinks it's laughable that some guys are considered great players because they win huge prize pools by catching cards and busted ass hands.