Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-25-2005, 12:01 PM

Default Re: Another death penalty question

"You again speak as though you think justice has some sort of external validity, some independent reality in the universe. Do you have any basis for supposing it has external reality?"

No. I suppose it's more accurate to say that I hope it has some external reality, that if an evildoer is punished, there's better karma in the world.

You have also, in the past, accused me of looking at some issues with my heart rather than with my brain. (Accused is probably not the right word, substitute "suggested.") And I admit here that it's a feeling, rather than a strong intellecutal argument, that guides me to say that I would want to see a heinous crime punished even if there were no benefit to anyone in the punishment being inflicted.

But just to be clear, let me ask you: imagine Saddam Hussein was reformed and it was scientifically determined beyond any doubt that he would not commit any more crimes and that there would be absolutely no benefit for anyone were he punished, and no detriment to anyone were he not. Would you be against punishing him?
Old 04-25-2005, 01:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I think "justice" is most likely purely a construct of the human mind, since I see no evidence or sensible argument otherwise.

[/ QUOTE ]

Replace "justice" with "God".

[ QUOTE ]
By the way, I think it is a bit odd that you do not believe in God as an external reality, but you seem to believe in Justice as having some sort of external reality (which can be "satisfied").

[/ QUOTE ]

A mirror or a reflection?

Or perhaps:

Janus, the Roman God of Passage, was known for having two heads, one of which faced forward to the future and one of which faced backward to the past.

^
Old 04-25-2005, 04:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]
But just to be clear, let me ask you: imagine Saddam Hussein was reformed and it was scientifically determined beyond any doubt that he would not commit any more crimes and that there would be absolutely no benefit for anyone were he punished, and no detriment to anyone were he not. Would you be against punishing him?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, I would be against punishing him under those conditions, and would actually consider it a misguidedly evil act to do so.
Old 04-25-2005, 05:18 PM

I'm genuinely surprised. You've given me a lot to think about. Thanks to you and the Dude especially for getting me to think about my positions on this issue.
Old 04-25-2005, 06:08 PM

Always a pleasure Andy and thank you too.