Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-14-2005, 02:40 AM

Default Re: NCAA Tournament Field

[ QUOTE ]
Im not trashing washington... i am trashing the committee making them a number 1 seed. They are a solid team but not a #1 seed.

[/ QUOTE ]

Most people agreed that they were a #2. So I don't see how that translates into the worst #1 ever.

I was surprised that Wake wasn't the other #1, but they got the #2 in the same bracket. If they were flopped nobody would care.

Washington is way better than most on here are giving them credit for, but it's not surprising. The Pac 10 has the worst TV deal in D1 sports.
Old 03-14-2005, 02:45 AM

The Pac 10 is weak this year. They only have two strong teams in Washington and Arizona. Stanford is slightly above average and UCLA is average.

I agree that Washington and Arizona are quite good.

Washington deserved their #1 seed.

The ONE team that really got shafted in seeding is Louisville. They were ranked #4 in the country in the coach's poll, and only got a #4 seed, same as Syracuse. Louisville deserved a #2.

I also think that Syracuse deserved a #3. I do not think that Uconn deserved a #2. I think that they deserved a #3 as well.

I also think that Pitt deserved a 6 rather than a 9.
Old 03-14-2005, 03:00 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Washington is a very small team and that will hurt them when they run into a team with big guys like Gonzaga.

[/ QUOTE ]

They are small, but they've beaten Utah with Andrew Bogat. They beat Oklahoma and Kevin Bookout. They beat AZ twice with Channing Frye. They beat ASU three times with Ike Diogu.

Big teams don't give them trouble. The teams that give them trouble play great zone defense. It brings their offense to a grinding halt.

They could lose to a team like Pitt, but they have faced and beaten a lot better.

And if they are fortunate enough to meet Gonzaga it would be tough. I think they have lost 7 straight to the Zags.
Old 03-14-2005, 03:03 AM

[ QUOTE ]
The Pac 10 is weak this year.

[/ QUOTE ]

The Pac 10, as a conference, is ranked #2 in the RPI.

I don't think it's the 2nd best conference in college basketball, but it's a lot better than most people think.
Old 03-14-2005, 03:06 AM

Also, just because a conference is weak, doesn't mean a particular team is weak. See Illinois, Kentucky, Louisville - all from "down" conferences, but many people still think they are top notch teams this year.
Old 03-14-2005, 03:34 AM

I'm a UA student and a huge fan, but I'll be surprised if they get through this first weekend to reach the sweet 16. I like the LSU/UAB winner to beat Arizona this weekend. It's the same story as last year, talented head cases who will find a way to lose away from home.

-DeathDonkey
Old 03-14-2005, 03:37 AM

In case I've never mentioned it, your handle/avatar combo is strong.