Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-15-2005, 03:45 PM

Default Re: I never heard Rush Limbaugh say anything racist.

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
"who happens to be Jewish."

The discussion usually goes south after the phrase "who happens to be ________."

[/ QUOTE ]

I'll bet this could be fodder for a good joke, if someone could be creative-minded enough to invent one.

[/ QUOTE ]

George Carlin already did it. I can't remember exactly what it was though.

I think you making Jew jokes while talking to your Jewish friend means nothing, but if you do it while talking to a non-Jewish friend it makes you slightly anti-semitic.

That doesn't make you a bad person in and of itself, it would just make you like 99% of the world's population. No matter how open minded we are, deep down will all like our own kind just a little bit better than the other kind.

Yes, I have made jokes about the goyim while talking to my Jewish friends.
Old 03-15-2005, 04:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I think you making Jew jokes while talking to your Jewish friend means nothing, but if you do it while talking to a non-Jewish friend it makes you slightly anti-semitic.

That doesn't make you a bad person in and of itself, it would just make you like 99% of the world's population. No matter how open minded we are, deep down will all like our own kind just a little bit better than the other kind.

[/ QUOTE ]

So: if my Jewish friend and I share Jewish jokes, that's not anti-Semitic, but if I go and repeat those jokes to my friend of Irish descent, that's anti-Semitic??? [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img] I really don't think so.

Also, I think most Jews are, on average, more highly advanced and civilized than are most of "the goyim". So I don't agree with the second part of your post either, at least as far as I am personally concerned.
Old 03-15-2005, 04:23 PM

"Highly advanced?" "Civilized?"

By what possible measure? Reading your post was sort of a time warp to the period of high colonialism. Perhaps we should break out our calipers and measure their skulls?
Old 03-15-2005, 04:25 PM

Also, I think most Jews are, on average, more highly advanced and civilized than are most of "the goyim".

Im hoping you are joking here.

At the very least I hope you are referring to their acculturated traits not some pseudo-racial ones.
Old 03-15-2005, 04:30 PM

I didn't give a definition, so I'm troubled that you found my definition "patently false." If you are saying social/cultural constructivity + structural implications are "patently false" than you are even more poorly educated on this subject than I suspected. Dictionary.com is not a relevant, insightful "sociologically accepted definition."
Wow. Very impressive. They really don't teach much in schools these days.

Race isn't institutionally structured today? Really? Wow.
Old 03-15-2005, 04:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]
At the very least I hope you are referring to their acculturated traits not some pseudo-racial ones.

[/ QUOTE ]

Of course I am referring to culture not genetics.
Old 03-15-2005, 04:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]
"Highly advanced?" "Civilized?"

By what possible measure? Reading your post was sort of a time warp to the period of high colonialism. Perhaps we should break out our calipers and measure their skulls?

[/ QUOTE ]

Culturally not genetically speaking. Obviously.
Old 03-15-2005, 04:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I didn't give a definition, so I'm troubled that you found my definition "patently false."

[/ QUOTE ]

Ah but you did, via the following quote, you gave a negative definition:

[ QUOTE ]
Please give me a current sociologically accepted definition of race (taking into account its structural component and its cultural constructivity) that allows for black folk to be "racist." Oh wait, you can't.

[/ QUOTE ]

You were implying that such an example can't be constructed and that therefore blacks can't be racist. The dictionary definition puts the lie to that claim, as all that is required to be a racist is that the person subscribe to the following belief:

1 : a belief that race is the primary determinant of human traits and capacities and that racial differences produce an inherent superiority of a particular race

So, blacks clearly can have racist views too. A black man who holds racist views is a racist.

Pretty simple stuff.
Old 03-15-2005, 09:01 PM

"I think most Jews are, on average, more highly advanced and civilized than are most of 'the goyim'."

Yeah, but you take me out of the equation and we're about even up. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

Kidding aside, though, it's that kind of thinking, taking out the words "on average," that has made the Middle East the fine place it is today.
Old 03-15-2005, 09:12 PM

Default Re: And steamy

Tune in ESPN and listen to each announcer talk about someone's "STRENGTH".
[img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]