Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-28-2005, 07:20 PM

Default Re: What is the best city on Earth to eat?

[ QUOTE ]
When I get out of the perimeter it's usually down to the south, but my dad lives up in Acworth, so I have to brave Dallas Hwy, 19/41, and the like from time to time.

[/ QUOTE ]

My wife is directing a play at the playhouse off of Main st in Acworth. From where I work at 400/85/75, it takes about 1hr 45 minutes to get to Acworth during the week. Suckage. The traffic is the only reason I'm seriously considering leaving this fair city.
Old 02-28-2005, 07:26 PM

I'm leaving for Belgium Wednesday - good to hear about the food.

BTW, whoever said Philly Pizza in Georgetown is good is crazy.
Old 02-28-2005, 07:30 PM

</font><blockquote><font class="small">En réponse à:</font><hr />
My wife is directing a play at the playhouse off of Main st in Acworth. From where I work at 400/85/75, it takes about 1hr 45 minutes to get to Acworth during the week. Suckage. The traffic is the only reason I'm seriously considering leaving this fair city.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, that really blows. Luckily when I was interning I had the exact oppopsite route. Drive up to Piedmont Center from Howell Mill/Northside in the morning, and drive back at night. It was great going against traffic. I hope they can figure something out to make traffic better, but if this Northern Arc/Outer Loop thing starts up, things are gonna get worse before they get better.

I think you've said this before, but do you work at the building that stretches over 400?

Some attempt to keep this on topic: I'm going to Fellini's or Mama Niki's for dinner. 2 good pizza restaurants in Atlanta that are cheap too.
Old 02-28-2005, 07:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, that really blows. Luckily when I was interning I had the exact oppopsite route. Drive up to Piedmont Center from Howell Mill/Northside in the morning, and drive back at night. It was great going against traffic. I hope they can figure something out to make traffic better, but if this Northern Arc/Outer Loop thing starts up, things are gonna get worse before they get better.

I think you've said this before, but do you work at the building that stretches over 400?

Some attempt to keep this on topic: I'm going to Fellini's or Mama Niki's for dinner. 2 good pizza restaurants in Atlanta that are cheap too.

[/ QUOTE ]

Lindberg Center.
Old 02-28-2005, 07:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm curious where you rank Atlanta, El D. I say the food here isn't anything special, but there are some gems to be had

[/ QUOTE ]

That sums it up pretty well. Atlanta has plenty of places to go that are good, but overall it's not very exciting/varied stuff and there are few places that really knock your socks off.
Old 02-28-2005, 07:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I suspect you have not eaten out enough in Houston

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't think any of us have. Pity. It's tough to eat out too much.

Other take (though I need to ignore some words): Would you eat out a chick who just had 600 weiners in her?

~D
Old 02-28-2005, 07:57 PM

I agree w/ most everything in your post. One notably omission is great Vietnamese food, both cheap and expensive varieties. And there are tons of other random foreign places ranging from Antone's po-boys to Churrasco's steak that are really good. Houston really is a great restaurant city, and when you take value into account, truly incredible.
Old 02-28-2005, 07:58 PM

Are you drunk, Duke?
Old 02-28-2005, 09:38 PM

Default Re: Houston

[ QUOTE ]
The impression I have (almost solely from the media) is that most diners offer large plates stacked full of heart attack inducing deep fried trash.

[/ QUOTE ]
That's the good stuff! But there's lots of places besides diners. Did you really think the only restaurants there were diners? Hilarious that a brit has the nerve to pretend he knows anything about food. Go boil something. Oh, wait. Maybe that's my media-provided impression.

[ QUOTE ]
Obviously I am very wrong. I also had the impression that Texas was mainly white, a few blacks who get poorly treated, and lots of illegal Mexicans. Are there lots of Indians/Chinese types also? How about Europeans?

[/ QUOTE ]
Mixed bag. Lots of blacks, whites and mexicans. Lots of asians in houston.
Old 03-01-2005, 07:25 AM

I think you're nuts. (I was on my way out of the country, so my last post was a bit terse.) Houston is ranked on the bottom of my list of restaurant cities (and I'm a big Texas fan); I guess it's a matter of taste.

Yes, I was in high school there, and I later worked as a consultant in Houston for a few months. Also, I had a friend (post-college) who liked to eat at places above our means, and we did some touring of the city, courtesy of Zagat (if you're familiar with Zagat rankings, the highest ranking for food in Houston was 27/30 at the time, and restaurants 25+ were only a handful in number). Even now, when I visit my parents, we have a hard time trying to find good restaurants to have nice dinners.

Houston definitely has its share of decent, moderately-priced steak/BBQ, but not particularly exceptional, IMO. And Asian food (cheap or expensive) doesn't compare to SF, NYC, or LA by a long-shot. Of the cities that you mentioned -- "San Francisco, New York, London, Atlanta, St. Louis, Denver, and Chicago" -- I can only comment on the first three. And I find it laughable that one would categorize Houston in the SF, NY, London class of restaurant cities.