Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-31-2005, 01:44 AM

Default Re: Give me your Top 5 movie scenes of all time

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

1. American Beauty - The plastic bag scene. (I saw this movie in the theatre twice in the opening week, cried each time during this scene.)

It's the scene where the kid w/the camera says, "Want to see something beautiful?" and he shows her a tape w/a plastic bag floating around in the wind.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Umm...Yea. Now i remember the scene. I can only hope you're kidding.

[/ QUOTE ]

Nope, I'm not. 1st time, lost it, sobbing. No word of a lie. It just amazing.

[/ QUOTE ]

All I can say is, MAJOR LOSER ALERT.
Old 01-31-2005, 01:47 AM

"sorry clarece, i would love to stay and chat but i'm having an old friend for dinner". scene where schindler says goodbye to his jews. end of usual suspects. every scene from kill bill 1 and 2

man i love movies!!
Old 01-31-2005, 01:49 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

1. American Beauty - The plastic bag scene. (I saw this movie in the theatre twice in the opening week, cried each time during this scene.)

It's the scene where the kid w/the camera says, "Want to see something beautiful?" and he shows her a tape w/a plastic bag floating around in the wind.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

All I can say is, MAJOR LOSER ALERT.

[/ QUOTE ]
You lost all credibility when you said that it would be ok for a guy to drive around at 1 in the morning looking for a girls car. That picture with daryn certainly didnt help either.
Old 01-31-2005, 02:28 AM

The car scene in se7en in which Brad Pitt's character is argueing his denial to Spacey.
Old 01-31-2005, 03:25 AM

Very good thread so far. I read most of it.

-Unforgiven - Ending. Just brilliant.

-Born on the 4th of July, Willem Dafoe and Tom Cruise having shi<font color="brown"></font>tfits and fighting in their wheelchairs in Mexico.

-The Big Lebowski. Has some scenes that really get me every time too. Like when they are scattering the ashes or when they confront Lebowski and Walter throws him down and the little dog is licking his face. Also some hilarious ones, like everything John Turtorro does, or "I'll suck your cock for $1000," etc...

-Raising Arizona, same deal. Stealing babies is funny.

-Night on Earth, last scene with the guys in the taxi in Finland, talking about his baby daughter. Jesus Christ that is fuuuuuuuuuuuccckkkked up.

-Dead Man, the scene with Iggy Pop in a dress reading the Bible.

-Several parts of 'The Last Waltz,' esp. the versions of 'The Weight,' 'The Night They Drove Old Dixie Down,' 'I Shall be Released.'

NT
Old 01-31-2005, 04:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Does anyone else watch Family Guy? There's an episode where Peter Griffin is entranced with a plastic bag flying in the wind and God is screaming at him from Heaven. . ."It's just a piece of freakin' garbage flying in the wind! Do you have any idea how complex your circulatory system is!?" Heh.
Old 01-31-2005, 05:38 PM

Lots of good ones mentioned so far, here's a few more.

Several scenes from Life is Beautiful. 1 - particularly the scene towards the end when Bennini's character walks away with the Nazi guards, obviously to his death. His son is hidden and watching, however, so he puts on a goofy face, continuing to hide the horrible truth from his son.
2 - A little later on, when the American tank picks up the son and drives past the son's mother, and they are reunited at last. Now if that doesn't bring a tear to your eyes...

As far as good action scenes, I really like the bank-robbery/shoot-out in Heat. Also, the scene earlier in the movie when DeNiro and Pacino sit down for coffee is pretty powerful.

The scene in Primal Fear when Gere's character realizes Norton's character was just putting on an act.

Get Shorty is one of my favorite movies. I particularly like the scene when Travolta walks up the stairs of the restaurant and tosses Gandolfini down the stairs.

How about the final episode of Band of Brothers? When they are all playing baseball and the narrator describes each of them and where they ended up after the war. I'm getting chills just thinking back to that scene.

Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon: the scene when Chow Yun-Fat attacks the Jade Fox, fends off dozens of poisoned darts with his sword, and impales her...just to realize that he was hit with one of the darts...

Ah...I could go on all day long...movies are so great.

Cheers,

Swede
Old 01-31-2005, 06:32 PM

I have to go with a mix of what's already been mentioned. And try to ignore people saying that there are Top 5 scenes in "Baseketball" or in floating plastic bags . . . there's a difference between a mildly interesting or cool or funny scene and something that deserves to be on a freakin' Top 5 list.

1) Quint in Jaws:

"Japanese submarine slammed two torpedoes into our side, chief. It was comin' back, from the island of Tinian Delady, just delivered the bomb. The Hiroshima bomb. Eleven hundred men went into the water. Vessel went down in twelve minutes. Didn't see the first shark for about a half an hour. Tiger. Thirteen footer.

You know, you know that when you're in the water, chief? You tell by lookin' from the dorsal to the tail. Well, we didn't know. `Cause our bomb mission had been so secret, no distress signal had been sent. Huh huh. They didn't even list us overdue for a week. Very first light, chief. The sharks come cruisin'. So we formed ourselves into tight groups. You know it's... kinda like `ol squares in battle like a, you see on a calendar, like the battle of Waterloo. And the idea was, the shark would go for nearest man and then he'd start poundin' and hollerin' and screamin' and sometimes the shark would go away. Sometimes he wouldn't go away. Sometimes that shark, he looks right into you. Right into your eyes.

You know the thing about a shark, he's got...lifeless eyes, black eyes, like a doll's eye. When he comes at ya, doesn't seem to be livin'. Until he bites ya and those black eyes roll over white. And then, ah then you hear that terrible high pitch screamin' and the ocean turns red and spite of all the poundin' and the hollerin' they all come in and rip you to pieces. Y'know by the end of that first dawn, lost a hundred men! I don't know how many sharks, maybe a thousand! I don't know how many men, they averaged six an hour. On Thursday mornin' chief, I bumped into a friend of mine, Herbie Robinson from Cleveland. Baseball player, bosom's mate. I thought he was asleep, reached over to wake him up. Bobbed up and down in the water, just like a kinda top. Up ended. Well... he'd been bitten in half below the waist. Noon the fifth day, Mr. Hooper, a Lockheed Ventura saw us, he swung in low and he saw us. He'd a young pilot, a lot younger than Mr. Hooper, anyway he saw us and come in low. And three hours later a big fat PBY comes down and start to pick us up. You know that was the time I was most frightened? Waitin' for my turn.

I'll never put on a lifejacket again. So, eleven hundred men went in the water, three hundred and sixteen men come out, the sharks took the rest, June the 29, 1945. Anyway, we delivered the bomb."

2) Adrian, in Rocky.

Rocky: Listen I've been thinking, if you don't want me messing with Creed no more we'll make out some other kinda living you know.
Adrian: There's one thing I want you to do for me.
Rocky: What?
Adrian: Win. Win!
Mickey: What are we waitin' for!

3) Okay, I'll admit it, the beacon scene in LOTR made me cream my geeky jeans . . . dammit.

4) Princess Bride, the dual of wits between Vizzini and the Man in Black. Not nearly as eye-popping or throat-catching as the first three, but I'm running dry.

5) Take your pick -- either the very first big scene in Very Bad Things where the hooker gets killed/then the security guard, or the very last scene in which Cameron Diaz's character realized that her life is a complete and total hopeless wreck and utterly breaks down screaming in the middle of the street.
Old 01-31-2005, 06:49 PM

How about Field of Dreams at the end where Kevin Costner is playing catch with his late father? I submit that the most macho guy could not be called a nancy boy if he got choked up while watching that scene.
Old 01-31-2005, 07:30 PM

Five off the top of my head:

- Tuco, running around the cemetery with "The Ecstasy of Gold" playing in The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly

- The christening in The Godfather, when all of the family business is settled

- King Arthur and The Black Knight at the bridge in Monty Python and the Holy Grail

- Dave Kujan's WTF moment, reading the bulletin board in The Usual Suspects

- (tie) Bo Derek running down the beach in 10, Phoebe Cates climbing out of the pool in Fast Times At Ridgemont High