Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Internet Gambling > Internet Gambling
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-13-2004, 02:19 PM

Default Re: So, the Zero Rake research begins.

[ QUOTE ]
I have no idea why people pay a mortgage that costs them lots of money instead of just paying up front for a house.

[/ QUOTE ]

*Off Topic - but if you can get a mortgage at a low interest rate you can invest the money and make more on your investment than you lose in interest.

[img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Orange
Old 08-13-2004, 02:21 PM

Theoretically true, but interest rates are typically low when the market is bad, making it much more difficult to earn a good return on your investment.
Old 08-13-2004, 02:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Can you advertise that you will pay them when all they are doing is getting their own money back?

[/ QUOTE ]

This is really a semantics/fine print issue. Marketing would say "Get Paid to play poker" the site details would explain how it works. I'm sure given a large enough amount of data they could work this out to tenths or hundredths of a cent per hand and just make it a fixed rate per hand at each limit, rather than the player's "actual" rake. Paying by the longrun average would probably be the best so that pay is always uniform (i.e. 5 cents a hand or whatever).

The focus must be rewarding/paying the fish to come play at the site so that it distinguishes "GetPaidToPlayPoker.com" from all the others. Right now the main distinguishing characteristic of zero rake is that you have the option to pay the membership fee up front which is a very negative connotation (sp?).

J
Old 08-13-2004, 02:48 PM

I think you should register that domain before someone else does [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 08-13-2004, 02:50 PM

I was thinking the same thing!

Lori
Old 08-13-2004, 02:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I was thinking the same thing!

Lori

[/ QUOTE ]

I just registered it and listed it on Ebay.
Old 08-13-2004, 03:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]

The reason the fish won't pay an upfront cost is because they can play at <insert name of any other site here> for "free".

<snip>
Rather than charging an upfront cost they simply say that after you play X number of raked pots (where x approximately equals their monthly membership fee over a wide spectrum of players) they will start getting PAID to play poker (where PAID means they just get their rake back). Insert some code in your client program to give a pop-up box at the end of each players sesssion, for example:

Congratualtions! You only have to play 32 more raked hands to quailfy for our frequent player club where you get PAID to play poker. Only at GetPaidToPlayPoker.com!!

[/ QUOTE ]

Ding! Winnah winnah- pay da man.

The reality for ZeroRake, though, is that it's probably too late for them to pull a 180 now and implement this strategy.

But as others have suggested, an existing site might do well to beta test/experiment with this via a new skin. They could collect data over time & crunch #s on new players captured & profitability vs. marketing and bonus $ spent as well as "sweet spots" on bonus thresholds. If the beta site maximizes overall profitability, great. If net-net it cannabalizes the "main site" and drains overall profits, bonus/max rake thresholds could be jumped and/or they could phase out the beta site and launch a massive "switch your play to XXXX" promotional campaign.

I find it absolutely stunning that given that there is <font color="green">$X BILLIONS </font> in online poker rake up for grabs over the next year or two, not one new or existing site has come out with as pleasing a concept as has been described here in this thread.

What am I missing?
Old 08-13-2004, 03:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I think you should register that domain before someone else does

[/ QUOTE ]

Too late...I'm sure anyone who uses my idea will be happy to pay me a finders fee...right?

Old 08-13-2004, 03:21 PM

Whoa!

It was available when I looked.

Looks like Thythe really did buy it.

Lori
Old 08-13-2004, 03:23 PM

anyone want to set up an over/under on how long till a page that says "this domain is currently for sale" is displayed? [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]