Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Gambling > Psychology
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-02-2005, 04:24 PM

Default Re: Pascal\'s Wager...

I think the ultimate flaw of of Pascal's Wager is the assumption that one can CHOOSE to believe there is a God.
Old 05-02-2005, 05:16 PM

Default Re: Another Question For Christians

scientific thought, logical conclusions, objective proofs---all these modes of thinking forgo the idea that knowledge can be known without the reasoning mind. Privately, an individual knows more than what the conscious mind is aware. Many people would not, and do not, admit that this is true. We build our blocks of thought, we create our patterns of thinking, then arrange them into complicated structures that then show results. We see those results, and form conclusions based on those results. But where did the blocks come from? From where did the thoughts originate? Our brains? That lump of grey matter, of which we only use some minor percentage? Consider the saying, "A thought came to me". From whence did it arrive? It seems hypocrisy that we refer to the brain and to the mind, without realizing that one of those two is not a physical construct, and without giving it---the non-physical and unobservable---its due credit.

"Imagination is more important than knowledge".---Einstein
Old 05-02-2005, 05:50 PM

There are like, 81 replies to this post and I haven't read them all so excuse me if this link has appeared before:
http://www.jhuger.com/kisshank.php

Some may find it enlightening.
Old 05-02-2005, 06:08 PM

This site is chock full of idiocies. I just picked out one:

[ QUOTE ]

Why did God sacrifice Himself to Himself so that He could correct a mistake He made Himself?

[/ QUOTE ]

What mistake did God make?
Old 05-02-2005, 06:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]

I think the ultimate flaw of of Pascal's Wager is the
assumption that one can CHOOSE to believe there is a God.

[/ QUOTE ]

Perfect answer.
How can you believe in something you don't believe in?
Old 05-03-2005, 05:38 PM

You can choose to believe in God.

"Does God exist?": Is a philisophical question with logical arguments on both sides.

If you want to believe in God then:

1) First accept the premis that God COULD exist.
2) Instead of taking the side that God doesn't exist, defend the stance that he does.
3) Gather as many arguments as you can to support your newfound belief, with the intention of justifying that God does exist.

That's it! No need to go to church, pray or read the Bible. (Maybe read Mathew, Mark, Luke and Jon, research the history of the books)
Old 05-03-2005, 11:16 PM

For humans tryng to understand how God thinks would be like a bug tryng to understand how a television works. In fact it would be billions and billions of times worse. Our minds can never fully grasp the concepts of God. Don't forget that all religons are man made. For proof that God exists just look at the world around you. Do you think that out of absolutely nothing by some coincidence we end up here typing about poker on the internet?
Old 05-04-2005, 10:46 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Do you think that out of absolutely nothing by some coincidence we end up here typing about poker on the internet?

[/ QUOTE ]

I've heard this type of argument a lot in recent years and it makes no sense logically. It is just as likely, if not more likely, that we are indeed just an accident of nature as opposed to being created for some unknown reason by a higher being who chooses to remain anonymous. Seriously, think about it...
Old 05-04-2005, 01:18 PM

Isn't is possible that our minds are incapable of understanding God? Can someone who has never seen understand sight? Science is very adapt at explaining things, can it explain how out of absolutely nothing the miracle of human life is created? They try, but as far as I am concerned they fall far short. The human mind is incapable of proving or disproving God. That is why it is called faith.
Old 05-04-2005, 02:06 PM

Just keep in mind that these vague general arguments only have merit in regards to some sort of creator of the universe. They do nothing to argue for a god who is, omnipotent, who answers prayers, who places humans (or planet earth) in a special position compared to aliens, animals or intelligent computers, or who gives life after death. Just "looking around you" should not lead any person who can think straight to believe in such a god or to the even more specific beliefs of specific religions.