Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-19-2005, 02:44 PM

Default Re: Week 5 is over

[ QUOTE ]
I have lost some interest in adding push-ups. I'm forcing myself to do 40 a day and concentrating on doing the last 5 with very good form. I could definitely do more, I just don't feel like it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Good chance the way your doing it is better. Less chance of injury and still improving your strength. Did you see this link I posted earlier? It seems like a good way to vary the pushups while still improving.

Glad to hear you are doing well, helps me to stay motivated.
Old 07-20-2005, 10:43 AM

Partials were a huge part of the martial arts workout that I used to attend. They were very hard. The instructors would have us hold them just off the floor for what seemed like an eternity. Maybe I'll try adding these in to my routine and see if I'm still capable of 40 reps.
Old 07-19-2005, 04:34 PM

Rip, do one-arm push-ups. They're more challenging and fun, and build a lot more mass.

I'm working on those and handstand push-ups, myself. Just going up and down a little on the handstand push-ups, and doing holds in position, as I'm kind of nervous about the whole process on the one hand and, on the other -- not strong enough to go very far anyway!

You can also try some with your feet elevated on a chair or on whatever, too. And try some on your fingers! There's actually lots of variety in push-ups. When I do them, I almost never do them the normal way.
Old 07-20-2005, 11:53 AM

Be careful with the one arm pushup if the shoulder isn't used to it, it can lead to dislocations and injury to the shoulder which takes a long time to heal. Just ease into the one arm pushup slowly and get used to it.

You can add weight to a regular pushup by using a backpack, sandbag or a friendly tart to sit on your shoulders [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

For those of you interested in hand stand pushups check out the following bodyweight training courses
Hercules 2

The Hercules 2 starts out with pushups and works up to a handstand pushup.
And
York

Part 1 of the York handbalancing course which is very interesting.

The Sandow site is very interesting to those with an interest in strength training
Old 07-20-2005, 03:38 PM

Yeah, it's definitely a strain on the shoulder. The good thing about a program of high stress but low repetitions, not done to failure, though, is that you're under stress for a very short period of time(five reps or under), and always backing off before severe strain -- barring accident, of course. Yet you can still get some volume in, because a set of five or less reps tends not to be too damaging or build up much if any lactic acid.

It's definitely something to handle with care. But it's probably much safer than bench pressing of the high rep body building routines people do. Now the handstands..and shoulder push-ups -- that's where I get a little nervous. I used to do handstands quite a bit as a kid, in my own sloppy way. But handstand push-ups, even against a wall, were never something I got very far in or even felt good about trying. I'll work up to it eventually, though. Just trying to keep smooth progress and restrain myself from overtraining Overtraining is normally my approach to everything! I just get impatient with either lack of results or my lack of willpower, and try to do more work than I should.

Just did a ton of kettlebell presses last night and I'm trying very hard not to do anymore shoulder work today. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] And did pistols so deep that I strained my back a bit, but it feels a bit better today. That's an exercise that's a dangerous one if not done right!
Old 07-20-2005, 03:56 PM

Default Re: Pump you Up (Pushups)

I went to Europe for a summer with a buddy and we did push ups b/c there wasn't an adequate gym nearby. I started around 25ish and 10 wks later could pump out about 75.

Its really fun to take a hit and then see how many push ups you can do before exhaling.
Old 07-23-2005, 02:42 AM

Default Re: Pump you Up (Pushups)

[ QUOTE ]
Its really fun to take a hit and then see how many push ups you can do before exhaling.

[/ QUOTE ]

rofl
I could see this catching on around here. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Impressive results!
Old 07-23-2005, 02:53 AM

Default Week 6 is over

Week 6 is over.

This week I can do 2 more pushups than last week.
That's a total of 26 more than 6 weeks ago.

If you do pushups everyday or even every second day you will be able to do more after just one week. If you have been reading these posts and not doing pushups or some type of exercise please start doing something. You will not regret it and post your results as it helps me stick to my goal. Maybe it will help you also.

How did this week go for everyone else?

I expect good results next week as I am starting to get over a summer cold that has been dogging me.
Old 07-23-2005, 03:03 AM

Default Re: Week 6 is over

Good going Stuey!

Been doing gripper work, pushing my kettlebell around, doing some pistols, and using the Jumpstretch bands I got in to do tons of arm exercises, some back, neck, shoulder and tricep ones, and today I even tried squats and deadlifts with them! Pretty fun, and I liked the creativity of figuring out ways to come up with some exercises on my own or duplicate standard weightlifting ones. The deadlifts felt really good, but I'm going to start with them more slowly than I want to, since it's a movement you can get injured in, and be real careful about moving up in difficulty. Gotta give my lower back time to adapt.
Old 07-23-2005, 03:36 AM

Default Re: Week 6 is over

Good to hear you are going strong!

My grippers are still not here, soon I hope. I have been working on the pistols but I think it will take a long time to get my form to a level I am proud of. They are very hard for me. Amazing considering how many sets I needed to do in the gym to get the same level of soreness after a leg workout. You give good advice, very painful but good! [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]