Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-29-2005, 07:04 PM

Default Re: Best and Worst Days of Your Life as a Sports Fan

Worst - Last year's ALCS, Game 6 & 7, I was there 20 rows back behind visitors dugout [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

2nd Worst - '03 World Series Game 6. [censored] Josh Beckett. Again, I was there.

3rd Worst - Watching the Ravens win the Super Bowl the year after they were stolen from Cleveland. [censored] Art Modell.

Best - OSU Nat'l Championship vs Miami.

2nd Best - ANYTIME OSU beats Michigan.

3rd best - Watching replays of the Kirk Gibson HR. I was only 4, but after hearing the story and seeing the replay, it gives me chills.

4th best - Steve Bartman. I love Cubs misery.
Old 07-29-2005, 08:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Anyone who thinks Michael Jordan is the best player of all time is a fool.

[/ QUOTE ]

[img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]
Old 07-29-2005, 08:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]
worst: I'm a Cubs fan. take a wild flippin' guess

[/ QUOTE ]

so, what, it'd be like almost every day of your life(north side white sox fan [img]/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img])

as for me, I'm a chicagoan, and since I'm not a big basketball fan, I have yet to trully experience anything all that great. I was only 5 when the Bears won the super bowl, so I was too young to appreciate it
Old 07-29-2005, 08:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Yeah, game 6 in '75, a great game, was game 6, a game 7 followed; this was sudden death. And a big Yankees/Sox game is, by definition, bigger than an Astros/Mets game. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

You are a funny, yet wise, man. Good call on the Sox/Angels game in '86. IIRC, that was also a Dave Henderson special. And the only game to ultimately result in a player's suicide (allegedly).
Old 07-29-2005, 09:31 PM

I had to debate this one for a while ...

BEST: Maryland's basketball team beating Kansas in the national semifinals in 2002 on the way to the title. This was the game I was worried about (Not much about the Indiana final stands out, probably because the game sucked major ass), and therefore the one I remember most fondly. I'm also a much bigger Terps basketball fan than anything else.

HONORABLE MENTION: The Kerry Strug vault. No, I'm not gay. I just happened to be watching, and the drama and tension at that moment was awesome. I literally jumped off my sofa when she stuck the landing.

(Yes, the celebration with her coach carrying her with the cast on her ankle reeked of sappiness. I cannot argue that.)

WORST: The Jeffrey Maier incident.

HONORABLE MENTION: Maryland blowing a 3,578,117-point lead to Duke in the 2001 national semifinals. And the awful thing was, every Terps fan could see it coming from a mile away. It was clear at halftime (when the Terps were still up 11 ... had been up by 23) they would lose that game.
Old 07-29-2005, 11:10 PM

Best: Gators trouncing the Semi's 52-20 to win the 1996 National Championship. This was a weird season in which the Gators lost to FSU to end the season and needed like 4 specific things to happen in the last week of the season and in the conference title games and they all did getting Florida to the NT game.

Worst: Cubs collapse to Marlins. Worst Few Days Ever for any Cub fans. Funny how Alex Gonzalez' error on a tailor-made double-play ball is so overshadowed by "the incident" in left. The entire team melted down after that foul ball.
Old 07-29-2005, 11:32 PM

Best:

Can't think of a worst right now.
Old 07-29-2005, 11:57 PM

can you say "push off"?
Old 07-30-2005, 02:25 AM

Best day: Seattle Mariners, Game 5, 1995. Edgar Martinez ropes a double down the line in extra innings, and the stadium erupts with euphoria.

Worst day: I don't know, but I guess it's when Matt Hasselbeck got picked off by a GB CB in OT two years ago knocking the Seahawks out of the playoffs.
Old 07-30-2005, 05:03 AM

Best:
Watching Washington State beat Washington in 1997 to go to the Rose Bowl for the first time in 68 years (and partying on the turf at Husky Stadium after the game).

Worst:
Baseball cancels season in 1994 while the Expos have the best record in the majors. Ugh.