Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-01-2005, 02:54 PM

Default Re: Palmiero tests positive for steroids?

I wasn't aware they did that. baseball has, as far as i know, clarified what a steroid is and has at least twice escalated both testing and punishment.
Old 08-01-2005, 02:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
But corking doesn't make the ball go farther. If anything, it might take a few feet OFF.

[/ QUOTE ]

I've heard this said before, and IIRC, there is some study is always cited, but I seem to remember that there was an obvious reason the study didn't make sense. Why is that you say that corking a bat does not help? I find it very hard to believe that there would be players willing to risk their reputations using a corked bat if it didn't actually help. From my experience with softball, I doubt anyone would be fooled for long into thinking a corked bat was helping if it actually wasn't.

[/ QUOTE ]

I read a lengthy explanation one time but I don't remember where. Maybe Rocket Scientist del Poker Grande can help out...

But common sense says that a harder bat would hit the ball farther than a softer bat because it transfers more energy to the ball. Aluminum > wood > cork.

Also in the explanation that I read was something about the ball being in contact with the bat for such a short time that the energy wouldn't even have time to travel all the way to the center of the bat (where the cork is) and back to the ball before the ball was already gone. Hence it wouldn't matter what substance you put in the middle, aside from weight implications.

My apologies if I have butchered the sciencey stuff here.

/hijack
Old 08-01-2005, 03:03 PM

Exactly I would totally agree that alot like 70-80% of MLB players have probably tried/used steriods for at least one cycle.

I mean if you have the work effort like say Roger Clemens, you could use two cycles gain 20 pounds of muscle in the offseason and then work you ass off to maintian it through the rest of your career.

I know it is possible to maintian your gains from steriods to say 80% without continued use. So these guys could spend two-three years in the minors/college/high-school whereever useing and then maintian those gains into their pro careers but never test positive.

Perfect example. Josh Ford from Baylor. Lets just say he used, he wouldn't need to anymore because he already has well above avg. big league strength.
Old 08-01-2005, 03:04 PM

I don't know about cork but stuff a metal bat full of racketballs and that [censored] will fly.
Old 08-01-2005, 03:07 PM

Physics of hitting, including corking wood
Old 08-01-2005, 03:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
But corking doesn't make the ball go farther. If anything, it might take a few feet OFF.

[/ QUOTE ]

I've heard this said before, and IIRC, there is some study is always cited, but I seem to remember that there was an obvious reason the study didn't make sense. Why is that you say that corking a bat does not help? I find it very hard to believe that there would be players willing to risk their reputations using a corked bat if it didn't actually help. From my experience with softball, I doubt anyone would be fooled for long into thinking a corked bat was helping if it actually wasn't.

[/ QUOTE ]

I read a lengthy explanation one time but I don't remember where. Maybe Rocket Scientist del Poker Grande can help out...

But common sense says that a harder bat would hit the ball farther than a softer bat because it transfers more energy to the ball. Aluminum > wood > cork.

Also in the explanation that I read was something about the ball being in contact with the bat for such a short time that the energy wouldn't even have time to travel all the way to the center of the bat (where the cork is) and back to the ball before the ball was already gone. Hence it wouldn't matter what substance you put in the middle, aside from weight implications.

My apologies if I have butchered the sciencey stuff here.

/hijack

[/ QUOTE ]
My understanding is that it's not about the ball bouncing off the bat better as much as it is about higher bat speed due to the lighter bat. In skilled hands, higher bat speed allows for more time to see the pitch and better quality contact.

Also, more solid is not necessarily better. More bounce can actually give better power. A good illustration of this is in tennis rackets. If you want power, you get your strings strung to a lower tension. If you want more control, you get them strung with a higher tension. It's like a trampoline versus a concrete floor.

edit: Please note that I'm not saying that a corked bat gives a trampoline effect.
Old 08-01-2005, 03:13 PM

I'm no scientist, but I would guess that the reason a properly corked bat would help would be due to increased bat speed without a corresponding loss in performance due to change in bat weight/mass.

My recollection was that studies suggesting that cork didn't help completely ignored bat speed.
Old 08-01-2005, 03:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If it wasn't permitted by baseball, why did they change the rules to indicate that it wasn't now?

[/ QUOTE ]

The rule change allows testing of the players for certain banned substances. Prior to the rule change, MLB had no authority to test its players. It's not that these substances were necessarily permitted before, it's that MLBPA and MLB have now authorized a system for testing the players.
Old 08-01-2005, 03:17 PM

If they didn't take into account weight and bat speed then they are bogus. That is why sheffield hits the [censored] out of the ball.
Old 08-01-2005, 03:22 PM

you don't have to be a rocket scientist. a corked bat will not make the ball come off the bat harder but it can make the ball go farther more consistantly. the softness of the bat actually gives it a "trampoline" effect, the bat will give with the ball (the ball mushes too) and the longer the ball is on the bat the further the ball will go (now that part is physics). the cork just combines to give an extra couple feet and makes the bat lighter but you won't hit the ball any harder.

hitting is based around keeping the ball on the bat as long as possible. thats why when you here, "he's cutting off his swing" or "he's pulling off," there is no way to make a ball stay on your bat that way. this is also why there is a rule for how far pine tar can go up the bat, i.e george brett