Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Gambling > Psychology
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-06-2004, 02:40 PM

Default Re: Am I Going to Burn in Hell?

[ QUOTE ]
I take it from the quotes that you believe god would condemn a man who led a selfless life devoted to helping the poor and sick, just because he didn't believe in god.

Why would anyone worship such a god?

chez

[/ QUOTE ]

Especialy when the Easter Bunny gives choclate eggs to everyone regardless of how they have behaved.
Old 10-06-2004, 02:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I was talking to Sundevil.

[/ QUOTE ]

My mistake!

[ QUOTE ]
For what its worth your take on Christianity is not such an insult to reason as that which Sundevil ascribes to.

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh. I will take that as a compliment. I haven't read many of Sundevil's posts but I suspect we believe most of the same things. Maybe we would phrase some things differently though.

EDITED: I said Sundevil and I believe most of the same things. Maybe not everything though, so please don't hold me responsible for everything all the other Christians say. I have enough to deal with already. [img]/images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img]
Old 10-06-2004, 04:19 PM

deleted
Old 10-06-2004, 04:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Why do you go to hell if you don't accept Christ's forgiveness? Is this explained anywhere in the Bible?

[/ QUOTE ]

basically, because we are all born into sin. We cannot go to heaven to spend eternity with God unless we have atonement for our sin. Before Jesus came and died on the cross(as the ultimate atonement for sin) the Isrealites had to sacrifice a lamb. God sent Jesus to earth to be the "perfect sacrifice". Jesus was "the Lamb of God" and that is why sacrificial lambs no longer have to be used. Jesus' blood now atones for the sin in our lives.
Old 10-06-2004, 04:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I take it from the quotes that you believe god would condemn a man who led a selfless life devoted to helping the poor and sick, just because he didn't believe in god.

[/ QUOTE ]

I belive the Bible. The Bible says...

Ephesians 2:8-9 NIV

For it is by grace you have been saved, through faith -and this is not from yourselves, it is the gift of God- <font color="green"> not by works,
</font>

Romans 9:30-32

What then shall we say? That the Gentiles, who did not pursue righteousness, have obtained it, a righteousness that is by faith; but Isreal, who pursued a law of righteousness, has not attained it. Why not? Because they pursued it not by faith but as if it were by works. They stumbled over the "stumbling stone."
Old 10-06-2004, 05:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I belive the Bible. The Bible says...

Ephesians 2:8-9 NIV

For it is by grace you have been saved, through faith -and this is not from yourselves, it is the gift of God- <font color="green"> not by works,
</font>

Romans 9:30-32

What then shall we say? That the Gentiles, who did not pursue righteousness, have obtained it, a righteousness that is by faith; but Isreal, who pursued a law of righteousness, has not attained it. Why not? Because they pursued it not by faith but as if it were by works. They stumbled over the "stumbling stone."

[/ QUOTE ]

I understood that bit, I just don't understand why you would worship such a god.

Are there no alternative christian views? Anyone know if CS Lewis 'adult' view of christianity was the same as in Narnia i.e. that good deeds were automatically done in god's name, and bad deeds in the devil's.

chez
Old 10-06-2004, 06:06 PM

"Anyone know if CS Lewis 'adult' view of christianity was the same as in Narnia i.e. that good deeds were automatically done in god's name, and bad deeds in the devil's."

Ha, good question. I do believe this was Lewis's belief about Christianity as well. I am no Lewis expert though so I am not familiar with the nuances of his position.

Lewis and evangelical Christians agree on most points of doctrine. This is not one of them. [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img] But I don't think even Lewis would say that the safest thing is to reject Christ, do good deeds, and hope that they are accepted. (Not that you are saying that either.)

EDIT: I should point out that there are Christians who believe even that everyone will eventually be saved through Jesus Christ, even if they don't accept Him in this life. That is not my belief, but there are others out there who think like Lewis and even beyond.
Old 10-06-2004, 06:38 PM

My favourite philosopher Soren Kierkegaard has a very "adult" view on what it is to be Christian. He makes a compeling subtle and complex arguement out of his christian faith.

You may not agree with his ultimate conclusions. However many of the facets of his arguement have relevance to all thought and to the question of existence itself. Your intelect will be stretched greatly to fully understand the sophistication of his argument. As I have said understanding is not the same as agreeing with the full conclusion of his narrative.

However I think the sentence "Existence is the seperation of being and object" and the idea that the self "is a relation which relates itself to itself". Are extremely influential in the shaping of my own life/world view. This is primarily due to how these concepts contributes to existential thought.
Old 10-06-2004, 07:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I understood that bit, I just don't understand why you would worship such a god.

[/ QUOTE ]

Because I believe the Bible is true and that's what the Bible says.(I will, no doubt, be teased over this simplistic statement)

[ QUOTE ]
Are there no alternative christian views?

[/ QUOTE ]

Well yes, there are. It's reasonable for a Christian to have the veiwpoint of:
-Jesus died for my sins
-even if somebody doesn't accept Christ, yet leads an exemplary life, that person will be in heaven(regardless of specifically choosing Christ)

What I don't think makes any sense is for an alternative Christian view to be:
-Jesus died for my sins
-even if somebody doesn't accept Christ, yet leads an exemplary life, that person will be in heaven(regardless of specifically choosing Christ)
-even though the Bible(which the person believes) says that I need to confess to God I'm a sinner and repent. I think I'll skip that part and just lead a good life.

If you are a Christian and you decide to live the life that you believe you must in order to get to heaven, why not say that prayer?(even if you think that one might not *have to* in order to go to heaven)
Old 10-06-2004, 07:13 PM

The correct answer is that nobody knows. Not the Pope, not your friendly neighborhood atheist, not David Skalansky.

Your story is a bummer, but the girl is much more at fault than you are.