Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Gambling > Psychology
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-06-2005, 05:16 PM

Default Re: Why dont you give away your money to poor people?

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I also believe everyone is responsible for everything that happens to them.

[/ QUOTE ] How about this for one example. Your sister got raped by a man yesterday. Seriously, watch the overgeneralizations.

[/ QUOTE ]
Most crime victims could have clearly avoided the problem via many ways including taking certain appropriate precautions, avoiding dangerous situations, and employing greater situational awareness for instance. For instance, see No Nonsense Self Defense on Rape for some guidance relaing to your example. Everyone is responsible for everything that happens to them. This is a good thing. Realizing it is empowering.

[/ QUOTE ]

You've got to be kidding to me.
Old 07-06-2005, 05:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ] How about this for one example. Your sister got raped by a man yesterday. Seriously, watch the overgeneralizations.

[/ QUOTE ]
Most crime victims could have clearly avoided the problem via many ways including taking certain appropriate precautions, avoiding dangerous situations, and employing greater situational awareness for instance. For instance, see No Nonsense Self Defense on Rape for some guidance relaing to your example. Everyone is responsible for everything that happens to them. This is a good thing. Realizing it is empowering.

[/ QUOTE ]

You've got to be kidding to me.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm pretty sure he's just trolling now.
Old 07-06-2005, 06:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]You've got to be kidding to me.

[/ QUOTE ]I'm pretty sure he's just trolling now.

[/ QUOTE ]
I expected my comment to be recieved with some skepticism, but I'm a little surprised at how much and the absence of any agreement whatsoever so far. This is the Psychology Forum - one might expect the participants to be somewhat thoughtful in their responses. Did either of you guys bother to check out any of the references I gave? It seems obvious that you didn't even look at them. However, if you wish to continue with your lives believing that you have little or no control over what happens to you, good luck to you. I know your're doing the best you can with what you know.
Old 07-06-2005, 06:47 PM

Thanks [censored].
Old 07-06-2005, 08:27 PM

I didn't read the link but I don't think that he means that litterally in every circumstance.

Someone throws a hand grenade into your apartment. It was your responsibility to live in a safer part of town. It was an anomoly and you live in the safest town in the state. Yeah, but do you live in the safest state in the country?

I think the point is that personal responsibility is the best course of action. People dismiss their personal responsibility and put it on others and the state to varying degrees.

Is it my fault I was attacked with a knife after someone broke into my house while I was sleeping? I say no. But can I learn something from it to be better prepared in the future? Yep. Can I move to a safer neighborhood? Yep, did that. Can I go to court to testify against the guy? Yep, did that.

I found myself in the unfortunate circumstance of being a victim. However I am not a 'victim'. That is a mindset. And as such it is disempowering. Of course it can be comforting because then I can just sit around and complain about other people doing the wrong thing, and only if xyz....

Am I to blame if I am drunk in an alley and get mugged? Well... legally I am not responsible for the crime. However, it was certainly an exercise in poor judgement to be drunk in public, and to go into an alley drunk on top of that. People who spend time drunk in alleys have bad things happen to them. Is it their fault? It doesn't matter. Placing blame is not the point. Responsible living is the point.
Old 07-06-2005, 08:38 PM

I'm sure TomBrooks didn't mean that getting raped is directly the victim's fault (I hope so anyway), but you have to admit that responding to a hypothetical rape with "I also believe everyone is responsible for everything that happens to them." is a bit gonzo. Mainly though I just find his citing of pop-psychology self help bullshit as references in a discussion about poverty laughable (and no, I haven't read the books he listed and am making an assumption based soley on their titles).
Old 07-06-2005, 09:56 PM

I pay about 40% of my money to the govt, which they redistribute as they see fit. Then every time I buy something in this state(CT) I pay another 6% to the govt who redistribute those funds as they see fit. When govt stop spending MY MONEY on things like union employees that have no business having a job, and things like killing thousands of people in a useless war, THEN I will happily donate the difference between what I pay now and the decrease in my taxes to poor people.
Old 07-06-2005, 11:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]You've got to be kidding to me.

[/ QUOTE ]I'm pretty sure he's just trolling now.

[/ QUOTE ]
I expected my comment to be recieved with some skepticism, but I'm a little surprised at how much and the absence of any agreement whatsoever so far. This is the Psychology Forum - one might expect the participants to be somewhat thoughtful in their responses. Did either of you guys bother to check out any of the references I gave? It seems obvious that you didn't even look at them. However, if you wish to continue with your lives believing that you have little or no control over what happens to you, good luck to you. I know your're doing the best you can with what you know.

[/ QUOTE ]

good stuff.

i really ought to take some karate classes or something.
Old 07-07-2005, 01:42 AM

Let them eat cake!
Old 07-07-2005, 02:10 AM

Because I am poor. No, I'm not homeless, and I have enough to eat, but that's because my mom works practically every single day, signing up to work her days off to make sure that my sister and I have a roof over our heads, food to eat, as well as a few luxuries (basic cable, internet access). Also, I am a college student (in-state, and I commute the half hour both ways to keep costs down) and my sister is starting an LPN program in the fall, having just graduated high school.

Why don't people on here brag about giving money to the poor? Aside from the fact that this is a poker forum and not philanthropy central, anyone who feels they deserve a pat on the back for helping others is a dick.

I, as I'm sure many/most here do, give money and assistance when I can. Be it an SPCA collection can at a counter, or the jar at my local pizza place taking money for a man who lost both his legs in a motorcycle accident and doesn't have health insurance. If I pay for something with a $20 and get $3 in change, that $3 goes in the jar/can/whatever.

You know why? Not because it makes me feel like a wonderful person, or because I'm looking for validation from some people on the internet. Because it's the right thing to do and there's no reason not to. But you know what? When my tuition bills come around or I have to put gas in the car so I can get to school, the cats at the animal shelter are going to have to go without my $3.

One thing I'm not going to do is run off to Thailand to take advantage of a nation's poverty and then chastise others for not doing the same.