Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Books and Publications
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-30-2004, 11:17 AM

Default Re: \"Mistakes\"

Here's a great example where I made a horrid mistake on the flop, but could not possibly consider it a "game play" mistake or a "bad play".

This was a great 20/40 game that went uncharacteristically tight for this hand:

Folded to me, I have A [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] T [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] in CO. I raise, button cold calls, both blinds fold.

2 to the flop (5.5 SB): Q [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] T [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] T [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]

I bet, button raises, I call

2 to the turn (4.75 BB): (Q [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] T [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] T [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]) T [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]

I check, button bets, I call.

2 to the river (6.75 BB): (Q [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] T [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] T [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] T [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]) 4 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]

I check, button bets, I raise, button calls.

I show my quads, button shows Q [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] Q [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]

Clearly, I didn't play poorly, but preflop and especially on the flop, I made disastrous FTOP mistakes.
Old 08-31-2004, 12:46 PM

Default Re: Chapter 1

[ QUOTE ]
Why will a good player experience more bad beats than an average or poor player?

[/ QUOTE ]
Playing devil's advocate here: Badger argues that bad players actually experience more bad beats than good players because they don't properly protect their hands.

http://www.playwinningpoker.com/articles/04/07.html
Old 08-31-2004, 01:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Why will a good player experience more bad beats than an average or poor player?

[/ QUOTE ]
Playing devil's advocate here: Badger argues that bad players actually experience more bad beats than good players because they don't properly protect their hands.

http://www.playwinningpoker.com/articles/04/07.html

[/ QUOTE ]

What Badger is talking about is NL play, and in NL play if you don't properly protect your hand its not a bad beat its just bad play by yourself. On the other hand if you overbet the pot with one card to come and someone still calls with their flush draw to beat you, that is a bad beat.
Old 08-31-2004, 02:53 PM

Default Re: Chapter 3

Taking this a step further, it would be best for your opponent to raise high enough (exact numbers in the prior message) to make the call unprofitable, yet still potentially elicit a call. By moving all-in for such a small pot, there's no way that you'll make that call...so your opponent really isn't gaining anything.
Old 09-16-2004, 05:18 AM

[ QUOTE ]
What type of game conditions would make this strategy optimal?

[/ QUOTE ]

Huge ante games.

[/ QUOTE ]

I disagree.

The question was concerning when it is correct to win "as many pots as possible". No matter what the ante size is, you only have to win once every time the button goes around. (In other words, if there are 9 players at the table, you only have to win once for every nine deals (not counting bets) and you will be assured of having enough money to meet the antes for the next eight hands (when you again win the other eight players' antes) thus, the size of the antes is not a factor, even assuming that you win only the antes of the other players (not counting bets) you only have to take one pot per nine hands dealt to stay even. This means that it is not imperative to win "as many pots as possible".

The correct answer would be tight games, however I admit to reading Sklansky's post above before writing this. I did know the correct answer, but I read his post before I posted.

Pete