Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-02-2005, 03:19 PM

Default BK, is that you?

I feel very much the same way. I enjoy the adrenaline rush of 1-2, but I have to admit it has taken a lot of the fun out of it for me.

I'm in my mid-30s and make a decent living away from poker, but swings of 20k over a day or two is a lot of $.

I will keep playing the 50-100, I enjoy that, and take occasional shots at the 1-2.

I play poker for fun, then profit. When it stops being fun, it doesn't interest me as much.

TSP
Old 08-02-2005, 03:31 PM

Default Re: BK, is that you?

Wow, I thought I was the only one like this. The first time you lose 20 dimes in a day can sure knock the [censored] out of you, I don't care if you KNOW you have an edge in the game. I just decided I can make plenty of money playing 30 and then splashing big in person down in Jersey. I can't have every night be a do or die financial struggle AND live my life. Doesn't work for me...

Jeff
Old 08-02-2005, 03:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Wow, I thought I was the only one like this. The first time you lose 20 dimes in a day can sure knock the [censored] out of you, I don't care if you KNOW you have an edge in the game. I just decided I can make plenty of money playing 30 and then slashing big in person down in Jersey. I can't have every night be a do or die financial struggle AND live my life. Doesn't work for me...

Jeff

[/ QUOTE ]

i have just yesturday come to the same conclusion and today played 6 tables of 30/60.

my god those games are easy on a relative scale. and there is really no risk for me. it was like i was enjoying poker all over again.

-Barron
Old 08-02-2005, 03:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Wow, I thought I was the only one like this. The first time you lose 20 dimes in a day can sure knock the [censored] out of you, I don't care if you KNOW you have an edge in the game. I just decided I can make plenty of money playing 30 and then slashing big in person down in Jersey. I can't have every night be a do or die financial struggle AND live my life. Doesn't work for me...

Jeff

[/ QUOTE ]

i have just yesturday come to the same conclusion and today played 6 tables of 30/60.

my god those games are easy on a relative scale. and there is really no risk for me. it was like i was enjoying poker all over again.

-Barron

[/ QUOTE ]

Welcome to my realization about 3 weeks ago. I'm sure this will come across conceited like...but 30/60 is like a walk in the park compaired to 100/200. Moves are just so much more transparent and they don't put you to the test as correctly.

It's fun to kick the [censored] out of a limit again. I mean 1bb/100 at a 1/2 game is great, money wise...but it just doesn't feel the same as destroying a lower limit game...it's kinda 'fun'.
Old 08-02-2005, 03:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Jeff

[/ QUOTE ]

-Barron

[/ QUOTE ]

Welcome to my realization about 3 weeks ago. I'm sure this will come across conceited like...but 30/60 is like a walk in the park compaired to 100/200. Moves are just so much more transparent and they don't put you to the test as correctly.

It's fun to kick the [censored] out of a limit again. I mean 1bb/100 at a 1/2 game is great, money wise...but it just doesn't feel the same as destroying a lower limit game...it's kinda 'fun'.

[/ QUOTE ]

Did it feel this easy when you were playing 30/60 as your "big" game though, or has it only felt that way since you played much bigger and have now moved down.

ie. Has playing big for as long as you have made you as good of a 30/60 player as you are now? If so, there may be merit to playing break even 100/200 if you can emotionally handle the variance.
Old 08-02-2005, 03:53 PM

Location: download an irc client at www.hydrairc.com (freeware not spyware), connect to irc.efnet.net, and join the channel #twoplustwo to chat live with other 2+2 posters

it took me about 20 seconds to have this "realization" when higher limit tables popped up at a given site. it's worthless to me unless there are a ton of tables 24/7.
Old 08-02-2005, 03:55 PM

Default Re: Advice on Moving Beyond 30/60 Online

i dont care if op has a good winrate or is totally bsing. i opened this thread to get some advice on higher limit play. the advice has been good and i feel i have learned something.
Old 08-02-2005, 03:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Jeff

[/ QUOTE ]

-Barron

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Did it feel this easy when you were playing 30/60 as your "big" game though, or has it only felt that way since you played much bigger and have now moved down.

ie. Has playing big for as long as you have made you as good of a 30/60 player as you are now? If so, there may be merit to playing break even 100/200 if you can emotionally handle the variance.

[/ QUOTE ]

I've been thinking about what you said the last couple days and don't know why I didn't bring it up. I'm very glad you did, though.

Yes, playing higher has made me a significantly better player at 30/60. And I mean VERY significantly. So there might be a bad player or two at the 100/200, but there are 4 other players who are about equal or better players than you are and you need to learn how to play hands differently versus very tough opponents and take more meta game stuff into consideration.

I don't know that there is a need to play break even 100/200, though. you may as well find the toughest short 30/60 games and while they wont be exactly the same, they'll be close enough that it'll give you a similar experiance with less of the learning curve.

The one thing 100/200 does for sure is make you not care much about the money at 30/60 (which is good cause it's one step closer to an emotionless poker player). I know that sounds conceited but owell. It's still big money outside of poker...just while you're playing the swings dont matter at all.

When I played 30/60 as my big game the tough players seemed very tough...and now it's not so bad.
Old 08-02-2005, 04:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]
it took me about 20 seconds to have this "realization" when higher limit tables popped up at a given site. it's worthless to me unless there are a ton of tables 24/7.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't see why you need tons of tables 24/7. Why not just play the game when it's good and not when it's not. It's worked great for qutie a few of us. So you don't get to play high every day, big deal. But when you do, you're hourly is higher and you get that experiance. All while you're grinding out your normal sweet profits at the lower limits.
Old 08-02-2005, 04:11 PM

Location: download an irc client at www.hydrairc.com (freeware not spyware), connect to irc.efnet.net, and join the channel #twoplustwo to chat live with other 2+2 posters

[ QUOTE ]
I don't see why you need tons of tables 24/7. Why not just play the game when it's good and not when it's not.

[/ QUOTE ]

because i prefer to play on my time, not on the game's time. regardless of the time of day, the party 30 game will have many beatable tables running. if it's 7AM, i can play 6 tables. if it's 8:30PM, i can play 6 tables. if i dick around on my computer for 45 minutes waiting for a singular 50/100 game to pop up, i could have already made more money by simply sitting at multiple tables in a highly available game. even if you ignore the scouting time, my hourly rate isn't going to be higher if i could play 1 or 2 tables of 100/200 at any time of day. it's going to be similar, except i'll have much greater variance. since scouting is necessary and games aren't always available, it has always been a no-brainer for me to continue 6-tabling mid limits.

it's also much easier on me for statistics and taxes. i record my sessions in "groups" in statking, so if i play 6 tables of party 30/60 it's listed as "party 30/60 6 tables" for 1 hour, not 6 hours of singular party 30/60. it's easier for accounting, and if i play the same game all of the time my hourly rate is "really for that game". if i played a mix of limits and individually recorded tables my statking data would be indecipherable.