Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-23-2005, 09:18 PM

Default Re: I\'m being sued by the RIAA

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I know what Americans do, we love to Barbeque, drive fast cars, spend time with friends and family, travel, spend money, hunt, play sports, drink beer, and gamble. I think thats our culture, sounds pretty damn good to me.

[/ QUOTE ]

I hope you dont honestly believe that any of these are uniquely american. That certainly also describes canadians. And, probably many other countries as well.

[/ QUOTE ]I could care less if it describes other countries, all I was saying is that describes our culture. All these douches talk about how America doesn't have classical musicians and hoity toity painters etc, so what, that [censored] is old school crotchety [censored]. We have modern artist/architects/scientists that IMO pwn everything before it, cept some of the old old ass painters and sculptures.
Old 06-23-2005, 09:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

I know what Americans do, we love to Barbeque, drive fast cars, spend time with friends and family, travel, spend money, hunt, play sports, drink beer, and gamble.

[/ QUOTE ]

Did you mean Australians?

[/ QUOTE ]Australians might as well be Americans, because they sure are cooler than those from the UK.
Old 06-23-2005, 09:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Sorry, but you got caught stealing, get a good lawyer

[/ QUOTE ]

my thoughts exactly.
Old 06-24-2005, 01:07 AM

F*ck the RIAA.

I moved off campus and out of the dorms to get away from their bullshit. 95% of the users that the RIAA goes after now are college users on dorm networks. If you move off campus and get cable/dsl then they can't touch you. Why not?

Because Road Runner cable and Verizon DSL fight tooth and nail in court to protect their customers from the greedy RIAA. The RIAA has stopped [censored] with them and their customers.
Old 06-24-2005, 01:09 AM

STOP BREAKIN THE LAW ASS HOLE!
J/K
Always wanted to say that for some reason.
Old 06-24-2005, 01:11 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I know what Americans do, we love to Barbeque, drive fast cars, spend time with friends and family, travel, spend money, hunt, play sports, drink beer, and gamble. I think thats our culture, sounds pretty damn good to me.

[/ QUOTE ]

I hope you dont honestly believe that any of these are uniquely american. That certainly also describes canadians. And, probably many other countries as well.

[/ QUOTE ]I could care less if it describes other countries, all I was saying is that describes our culture. All these douches talk about how America doesn't have classical musicians and hoity toity painters etc, so what, that [censored] is old school crotchety [censored]. We have modern artist/architects/scientists that IMO pwn everything before it, cept some of the old old ass painters and sculptures.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ok you are stupid(and uncultured [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]).
Old 06-24-2005, 01:27 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I would wait until contacted and then offer them a settlement for 1/2 the amount along with a letter saying your sorry, you learned your lesson blah blah.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is the RIAA. They don't care. They are very very money hungry. They've successfully sued an 8 year old girl before for downloading barney theme songs and the like. The parents didn't even know you could download music. The RIAA didn't care.

[/ QUOTE ]

You are correct that they don't care about apologies, and that they have gone after some silly cases. But the RIAA is not just money "hungry", it is money "starved."

It represents an industry that is going through its biggest downswing in its history. Sure you see the Jessica Simpsons and the Maroon 5's making big bucks, but there are SO MANY people that I know personally whose careers have been derailed in the music industry, and illegal file sharing has definitely played a role.

I'm not talking about artists who have suffered (although many have). I'm talking about behind the scenes professionals like recording engineers who have devoted decades to their craft, and countless employees at the distribution, retail, and artist management levels. Thousands of hard-working non-"glamorous" jobs gone because some people don't think they should have to pay for something.

Times are-a-changin', and these newly unemployed folks have to change with them, just like when other industries go south. But the law is the law, and you shouldn't break it when there are victims.

-ptmusic
Old 06-24-2005, 01:31 AM

[ QUOTE ]
F*ck the RIAA.

I moved off campus and out of the dorms to get away from their bullshit. 95% of the users that the RIAA goes after now are college users on dorm networks. If you move off campus and get cable/dsl then they can't touch you. Why not?

Because Road Runner cable and Verizon DSL fight tooth and nail in court to protect their customers from the greedy RIAA. The RIAA has stopped [censored] with them and their customers.

[/ QUOTE ]

So your plan in life is to break the law, and when it becomes difficult, look for an easier way to break it elsewhere? If your goal is simply to avoid getting caught, then I hope you get some values when you grow up. If your goal is stick to the RIAA, I hope you find some better goals someday.

-ptmusic
Old 06-24-2005, 01:33 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
F*ck the RIAA.

[/ QUOTE ]

So your plan in life is to break the law, and when it becomes difficult, look for an easier way to break it elsewhere? If your goal is simply to avoid getting caught, then I hope you get some values when you grow up. If your goal is stick to the RIAA, I hope you find some better goals someday.

-ptmusic

[/ QUOTE ]

It's not a goal you [censored] lazy recording artist. You think you're entitled to money just because you put out some [censored] product? Newsflash: you're not. So get a shave and stop being a stupid hippie.

As for the music, I would be happy if the RIAA would just stop hunting college kids and making their lives hell. I don't download music to "stick it" to the RIAA. I download it because I don't want to pay for it, and because it is easily accessible.
Old 06-24-2005, 01:35 AM

So, sharing on the college network is bad... are there any other particularly dangerous sharing activities that a regular residential ISP user should avoid to not get busted?

How likely is it if you do some mild P2P activity with the likely clients?