Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-27-2005, 03:45 PM

Default Re: Civ4 - Review & Trailer

I decided last night that if I could find a copy of the collector's edition at a local store, that I'd go buy it, but if not, then I'm holding out for a while (maybe until there's an expansion package) and I'll just play Civ 3 for a while. I was way late getting on Civ 3, so it's not worn out yet. I'm especially leaning towards not getting IV now that there's all this crap about it being such a hog and/or being buggy. FWIW, nobody locally says they have any collector's editions (left). I can apparently still get it on ebgames.com or outpost.com, but... I don't know.
Old 10-27-2005, 03:55 PM

I ordered from EBGames.com and picked it up in the store. It hasn't been buggy for me, but I have a pretty new set-up and I've only played about 4 hours or so.

They really did a good job of eliminating the crap that made CIV3 boring (pollution, AI running rampant in your territory) so I would recommend it over CIV 3, but I loved CIV 3 so I can understand why you would want to wait a while. Sounds like you found something to add to your Christmas list. I'll have a better idea on how good this game is on Monday after I've wasted a weekend on it.
Old 10-27-2005, 03:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I ordered from EBGames.com and picked it up in the store.

[/ QUOTE ]
This would be most excellent. I didn't see where to do it online, though, so I just assumed they didn't have this option. I stopped by EB on the way home and their reply to when I asked if they had the collector's edition was "only for pre-orders". I called again today just to be belligerent and he said they don't have any. I suspect he's just saying they don't have any of the collector's edition. They must've had extras.

edit: I've found shipping to a store in the FAQ and I've added the nearest store to my address book, but it's not showing up as an option for me to ship it to the store when I go through checkout. Also, if they really don't have any copies in the store, then I might as well just have them ship it straight to me instead of having to go to the store to pick it up.
Old 10-27-2005, 04:30 PM

Some people are saying things like, "It runs okay on my system" or "My Pentium 4 seems to be handling it." For people to understand what that means, people reporting it's okay or bad on their system should be more specific. There's a huge range of Pentium 4's, for example. And if you don't include your CPU, RAM, and video card at the same time, it's much harder to get any value at all out of a mention of how it's doing on your system.
Old 10-27-2005, 04:34 PM

On my third game of it.

It is so fun. It's how civ should be.

Back to playing I go.
Old 10-27-2005, 04:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Some people are saying things like, "It runs okay on my system" or "My Pentium 4 seems to be handling it." For people to understand what that means, people reporting it's okay or bad on their system should be more specific. There's a huge range of Pentium 4's, for example. And if you don't include your CPU, RAM, and video card at the same time, it's much harder to get any value at all out of a mention of how it's doing on your system.

[/ QUOTE ]

Great point. I'll try to remember to post my system's specs tonight. From memory it is a P4 3.2G processor with 1G RAM and a 256M video card. I'll try to post specifics tonight.
Old 10-27-2005, 04:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]
On my third game of it.

It is so fun. It's how civ should be.

Back to playing I go.

[/ QUOTE ]

Who are you? I tried the Spanish for my first game and they were okay.
Old 10-27-2005, 04:36 PM

I'm running it on

Asus nvidia
AMD 3500+
BFG GeForce 6800GT OC (PCI-e). Drivers are from August or so.
2GB Corsair XMS TwinX
Raptor 10k RPM HDD

I'm running it at 1920x1200, and it's flawless. It was running for about 4 hours last night without a single stutter or noticible error.
Old 10-27-2005, 04:39 PM

I went German for my first game. I usually go with someone industrious and scientific. (which i think was roman in civ3)
Old 10-27-2005, 04:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I went German for my first game. I usually go with someone industrious and scientific. (which i think was roman in civ3)

[/ QUOTE ]

Try someone spiritual (Saladin). You can easily found 3 religions and convert everyone. Makes it easier to build up your forces and crush them later [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]