Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-28-2003, 10:57 AM

Default Re: Most Overrated Films of All Time?

I'm sorry, but can you cite *one* critic who called this a great movie?
Old 10-28-2003, 11:17 AM

I think I've seen all of these mentioned in this thread. The first overrated film to come to mind was 2001: A Space Idiocy. I saw this first run in a movie theater and thought it was awful. Being youngish at the time when all of my friends loved it, I thought I must have missed something so I went to see it again when a group was going--nope, still awful. This is probably the worst film I've ever seen more than once.

I will second Titanic as being among the worst films--but at least it held my interest most of the time.

I never understood the passion for GWTW, but it never bothered me that much either. (I saw that for the first time in a re-release to movie theaters before it ever appeared on television. I can't imagine seeing it on a small screen.)

I used to hate most everything with Meryl Streep or Jack Nicholson...but either my tastes have changed as I've gotten older, or they've changed as they've gotten older. (For example, I hated five easy pieces except for the chicken salad scene...but I loved the recent Nicholson film with Helen Hunt ... name escapes me at the moment.) Oh yes, I also disliked About Schmidt but I don't blame him for that.

On a more positive note, I love most anything I've seen written by Charlie Kaufman (e.g., Adaptation, Being John
Malkovich).
Old 10-28-2003, 12:38 PM

"On a more positive note, I love most anything I've seen written by Charlie Kaufman (e.g., Adaptation, Being John
Malkovich)."

I though Adaptation was OK, notthing much more than that. Watched "COnfessions of a Dangerous Mind" on Sunday, which is a Kaufman film, and I thought it was fantastic -underrated, even, given that it didn't make much of a splash.
Old 10-28-2003, 02:19 PM

I hated Adaptation. Hated it. Course I can't watch Nick Cage, so having to watch too of him was too much for me to bear. Couldn't talk to any of my friends or acquaintances about it, though, because they all loved it, without exception.

Loved the idea of Being John Malkovich, but disliked the movie. So Kaufman is obviously not for me.
Old 10-28-2003, 02:20 PM

Citizen Kane is generally regarded as the greatest movie ever, so it would certainly therefore have the most chance to be the most overrated.

I find it stunning every time I see it.
Old 10-28-2003, 02:25 PM

Default Re: Casablanca

I agree. Bogie's got some great lines ("What's your occupation?" "I'm a drunkard.) and the last scene is fun and it's never bad to look at Ingird Bergman. But all those people running around in white suits in the middle of the war. I don't get it. A nice movie, but nothing more.
Old 10-28-2003, 02:26 PM

a friend said it was great we should watch it (long time ago) and i really thought it was just so boring my god. i would estimate it at 3 hours at least.

checking on imdb.com - ok 119 min.

well i saw it at 19 maybe i was just too young but man i was bored.
Old 10-29-2003, 04:32 AM

Adaptation was simply brilliant. I'm not much of a Nicolas Cage fan, but this movie was absolutely perfect. a bit weird, i know. but brilliant. i wept when i saw it. in fact, i've wept every time i've seen it.