Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-21-2005, 05:04 AM

Default Re: Festa al Lago....Gigabet is weak tight at heart.

[ QUOTE ]

I did write in one of the previous posts that this was an easy fold. That was supposed to be obvious sarcasm.

[/ QUOTE ]

Damn, I missed the sarcasm.
Old 10-21-2005, 05:12 AM

I personally think you just made a laydown that kept u in the tournament. Congrats.
Old 10-21-2005, 07:43 AM

Just where do I find that HH, btw? I've been searching for it but no joy.

And I have to admit, I think this is a straight, mathematically bad fold. (Based on his books, his most probably hand might be J4.) But hey, I'm not on the WPT, I guess you're doing something right...
Old 10-21-2005, 08:00 AM

I'd estimate there is an 85% chance that you folded the best hand here. Needless to say, if you are playing to win the tournament, that would be a clear error.

Reraise on the flop enough so that Action Dan has poor drawing odds. Most likely he will lay his hand down. If he calls or pushes, you can decide whether you want to push.

This laydown is the tactical equivalent of laying down KK pre-flop because your opponent "appears" to have pocket AA.

One more thing to add - if Dan has the set of 3s, you still have 4 outs for the bigger boat.
Old 10-21-2005, 08:03 AM

[ QUOTE ]
This laydown is the tactical equivalent of laying down KK pre-flop because your opponent "appears" to have pocket AA.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's interesting, because I could think of a few scenarios where I'd do this given those stack sizes. More so than folding top two in Gigabets situation..

But I don't necessarily agree that getting all the chips in at some point is the best idea.
Old 10-21-2005, 08:08 AM

I really think it's difficult for either of those hands to raise the turn given hero's actions. Of all the possible hands that Dan could have, those two are pretty much the only ones that unequivocally DO NOT want to be pushed on. Dan knows this and would not risk it there.

2pr, overpair, or TPGK however... Well I believe that a lot more. And of course there is 33,JJ,TT.
Old 10-21-2005, 08:22 AM

If Action Dan is willing to call or reraise a HUGE flop re-raise, then that would certainly give me pause for thought.

Giga would still have enough chips left after a flop reraise to reconsider and try to get a read before committing all his chips - or folding. The most important thing about this hypothetical flop reraise is that it should be big enough to convey the clear message to Action Dan that he's probably going to have to risk almost all his chips to win this pot.

That way, you can:

1) put pressure on Dan
2) gain better information about what he is holding

The way Giga plays the flop and turn doesn't define Dan's hand as well as it could.

And Dan will have to think seriously about the possibility of Giga having a set and of possibly being crippled (or out) if he pushes.

And an earlier poster is right in thinking Dan might have AA,KK or QQ here. This is precisely the type of situation Dan would slowplay these hands (against a single opponent, with position, and a safe flop)

Congratulations on a classic Hellmuthian laydown.
Old 10-21-2005, 08:32 AM

There are a lot of heart tens in the deck.
Old 10-21-2005, 09:03 AM

I've already spotted that on page 1. [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]
Old 10-21-2005, 09:24 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I've already spotted that on page 1. [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]I only read the posts from the big-name posters before posting about the two heart tens. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]