Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-29-2005, 04:43 PM

Default Re: Nominations for Best \"Rock\" Album of 2005

[ QUOTE ]

You think the film that is recognized as the best is also the most popular?

[/ QUOTE ]

almost never. and it usually isn't even the best. the best picture winners are frequently only the 7th or 8th best film of the year. usually the best film of the year gets ignored until people start to discover it on dvd a year or two later.
Old 11-29-2005, 04:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I'm pretty sure that Sufjan made such ridiculous song names to irk people who would judge him solely based on his song titles.

[/ QUOTE ]

I played right into his trap!

although I don't judge him solely on his song title;, I also judge him by his Scout uniform

what a unique look!

[/ QUOTE ]

You should see him in the cheerleader outfits. FWIW, ridiculously hot cheerleading chicks for background singers.
Old 11-29-2005, 04:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
given that its the only objective way to judge something like this you have to take it into account. What makes the albums you listed good, and why should I believe that they are better than what the masses like?

[/ QUOTE ]

Attempting to objectify (is that a word?) appreciation of art through a direct correlation with popularity is comically retarded.

[/ QUOTE ]

you made a list of the 10 best rock albums of 2005 without including a single band that is widely popular. if this was CMI's 10 favorite albums of 2005 that would make sense, but its not. Note the 5 artists/bands you listed as the greatest of all time. What did they all have in common? the fact that they were all widely popular. It is the same in any art form. Those who are recognized as the greatest in their field are those who were most popular in their field. I agree that their is room for listing artists that are not so popular among the best, but to have a top 10 list not include any popular artist at all is as you would say "comically retarded".

[/ QUOTE ]

Wrong, what about movies? Taking away Titanic, when was the last high gross movie nominated for an Oscar for best picture? Should I call the Academy idiotic for not nominating [censored] Charlies Angels or Men in Black?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah the second greatest movie of all time wasn't seen by anybody, I don't even remember what it was called. The God-something. Oh well.
Old 11-29-2005, 04:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
This is basically an "i'm trying to prove I am very edgy and you aren't..." thread.

[/ QUOTE ]

So far no one here has listed an "edgy" band. They play this [censored] on nissan comercials and [censored] over nip and tuck!

[/ QUOTE ]
All I am saying is that someone will make a list, others will say this is crap/I've never heard of them/[blank] is better. If this were a "my top ten etc" list then so be it but a best of the year just brings out people's need to one up one another.
Old 11-29-2005, 04:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I'm pretty sure that Sufjan made such ridiculous song names to irk people who would judge him solely based on his song titles.

[/ QUOTE ]

although I don't judge him solely on his song titles; I also judge him by his Scout uniform

what a unique look!

[/ QUOTE ]

that's so 2 albums ago. you've foolishly included a picture of "Sufjan Stevens and the Michigan Militia" into a discussion of "Sufjan Stevens and the Illinoisemakers". not cool

[img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 11-29-2005, 04:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
This is basically an "i'm trying to prove I am very edgy and you aren't..." thread.

[/ QUOTE ]

So far no one here has listed an "edgy" band. They play this [censored] on nissan comercials and [censored] over nip and tuck!

[/ QUOTE ]
All I am saying is that someone will make a list, others will say this is crap/I've never heard of them/[blank] is better. If this were a "my top ten etc" list then so be it but a best of the year just brings out people's need to one up one another.

[/ QUOTE ]

You are entirely wrong dude. This is what you expect it to be. It is not the reality.

<font color="white"> (This is exactly where I wanted this thread to go by the way, you think i give a [censored] what you guys think about music? I am clearly the superior voice around here) </font>
Old 11-29-2005, 04:47 PM

Location: Hurricanes, animal corpses and your potential new tattoo have a lot in common. Think about it.

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
But the only people that are doing any such thing are the anti-"hipsters" who haven't heard of most or any of this. And the anti-Audioslave contingent. We Sufjan fans are a peaceful bunch.
Old 11-29-2005, 04:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
given that its the only objective way to judge something like this you have to take it into account. What makes the albums you listed good, and why should I believe that they are better than what the masses like?

[/ QUOTE ]

Attempting to objectify (is that a word?) appreciation of art through a direct correlation with popularity is comically retarded.

[/ QUOTE ]

you made a list of the 10 best rock albums of 2005 without including a single band that is widely popular. if this was CMI's 10 favorite albums of 2005 that would make sense, but its not. Note the 5 artists/bands you listed as the greatest of all time. What did they all have in common? the fact that they were all widely popular. It is the same in any art form. Those who are recognized as the greatest in their field are those who were most popular in their field. I agree that their is room for listing artists that are not so popular among the best, but to have a top 10 list not include any popular artist at all is as you would say "comically retarded".

[/ QUOTE ]

Wrong, what about movies? Taking away Titanic, when was the last high gross movie nominated for an Oscar for best picture? Should I call the Academy idiotic for not nominating [censored] Charlies Angels or Men in Black?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah the second greatest movie of all time wasn't seen by anybody, I don't even remember what it was called. The God-something. Oh well.

[/ QUOTE ]

So once every 20 years, the popular and "best" line up? The Godfather is an exception to the rule. Come on...
Old 11-29-2005, 04:49 PM

Location: Hurricanes, animal corpses and your potential new tattoo have a lot in common. Think about it.

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

although I don't judge him solely on his song titles; I also judge him by his Scout uniform

what a unique look!

[/ QUOTE ]

I smell an avatar bet...
Old 11-29-2005, 04:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[that's so 2 albums ago. you've foolishly included a picture of "Sufjan Stevens and the Michigan Militia" into a discussion of "Sufjan Stevens and the Illinoisemakers". not cool

[img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

I seriously can't win with you people. [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]