Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-27-2005, 09:52 AM

Default Re: things for a dorm room

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I still stand by my statement that a deck is better than a loft, though.

[/ QUOTE ]

Difference between a deck and a loft?

[/ QUOTE ]
A loft is where you build a structure to put your beds up high in the air where they're somewhat out of the way. A deck is... well, it's a deck. It's an elevated floor surface where you put your bed below. Some people don't like their bed being so low to the floor, but as long as you can remember that you're in college and you can get past this, a deck is a much better option than a loft. It provides much more privacy and it's dark in your bed any time of the day, regardless of whether the room light is on. It also gives the room a cool multi-level thing going on. It provides a nice platform for stadium-style seating for movies and video games. It also gives lots of room for extra storage, if you wish for it to be that way.

Sorry I don't think I have any pictures of the deck I had back when I was in school - holy [censored] that was over 6 years ago.
Old 07-27-2005, 10:20 AM

a roomate will be the best thing for you in college. If he's cool, you are going to have alot of fun. If hes a total douche, you are going to learn alot about how to get along with somone, which is also very valuable. Either way, you win.

As for dorm attire, go buy a blow doll, take it down and have it filled with helium. There isnt a bigger convorsation starter than a blowup doll floating around on your ceiling [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 07-27-2005, 10:28 AM

[ QUOTE ]
who goes to classes?

[/ QUOTE ]

I did. I missed maybe 5 classes my first 3 years.
Old 07-27-2005, 10:35 AM

[ QUOTE ]
dont get anything. make your roommate get everything. if you dont have a roommate, stick to the original plan. when you have to move out at the end of the year, you can laugh at everybody working all day to move their chit out of the dorm.

[/ QUOTE ]

If you talk to your roommate on the phone make it sound like you don't care about a TV or anything like that. That way he won't ask you to spring for anything, but he'll still have to buy it all himself. Then during the year you can pay for alcohol a few times and you'll still come out looking like the generous one.
Old 07-27-2005, 10:46 AM

[ QUOTE ]
a roomate will be the best thing for you in college. If he's cool, you are going to have alot of fun. If hes a total douche, you are going to learn alot about how to get along with somone, which is also very valuable. Either way, you win.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree. Let's look at the roommate "types":

1. Party animal. He'll piss you off to no end, but you'll have a great experience, and your social life will benefit.

2. Nerd. He'll stay out of your way and won't keep you up at night.

3. Girlfriend-at-home. He'll keep you up all night when he's crying on the phone from one of their nightly break-ups, but he'll also go home every weekend effectively giving you a single. This is probably the worst type. But once they finally break up, he'll be a blast.

4. Athelete. Probably won't hang out with you much, but he'll always be out somewhere so you'll have the room to yourself.

5. Frat kid. See 4.
Old 07-27-2005, 10:50 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

1. Party animal. He'll piss you off to no end, but you'll have a great experience, and your social life will benefit.

3. Girlfriend-at-home. He'll keep you up all night when he's crying on the phone from one of their nightly break-ups, but he'll also go home every weekend effectively giving you a single. This is probably the worst type. But once they finally break up, he'll be a blast.

4. Athelete. Probably won't hang out with you much, but he'll always be out somewhere so you'll have the room to yourself.

5. Frat kid. See 4.

[/ QUOTE ]
You forgot the MMORPG gamer. Your room will always have the hum of an overclocked computer spinning 29347 fans and the blue light of a monitor all night. It will reek of stale cheetos and red bull / mountain dew, the remnants of which will be in a large pile right next to his last 3 months' worth of dirty clothes (about 9 shirts, a pair of shorts, and 43 tighty-whities). You may wake up in the middle of the night to the sound of frantic typing and intermittent bursts of serial-killer/rapist type laughter, followed by more frantic typing and the crunch crunch of cheetos. You'll learn all about battle axes, cloaking spells, level 9 Orcs, and the like. Your room will not be the party room.
Old 07-27-2005, 10:54 AM

[ QUOTE ]

A loft is where you build a structure to put your beds up high in the air where they're somewhat out of the way. A deck is... well, it's a deck.

[/ QUOTE ]

OK, lofts were pretty common even when I was a dorm-rat and Fred Flintstone was my roommate. The deck concept is pretty effin' cool.
Old 07-27-2005, 11:20 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

5. Frat kid. See 4.

[/ QUOTE ]

Or there's just the normal guy, which I guess I was. I studied like a student should, but wasn't a big partier. My friends all partied, so I just hung out whereever they did. Didn't drink, smoke, shoot up, or anything. Was into sports, but did not play anything besides intramurals once I got to college.

Back to the OP - good call on the roommate. My freshman roommate turned out to be my best friend and college and we lived together (with a couple other guys) for the remaining three years. Some of our friends had losers for roommates, but hell, that just made our friends stick together more.

Cool idea with the trees in the room. Make that work.

As for the PS2/TV, it can be boom or bust. If you hang out and watch TV/play games too much, you won't have a social life. BUT...if you make your room the "hang out", it can rule. My roommate and I were the only ones (for most of the year) in our hall with a TV. Our room became the place for everyone to get together. Add to that the fact that I had Doom II on my computer (dating myself a bit) and it became a fun room.

Use what you have to your advantage.
Old 07-27-2005, 11:24 AM

I recommend a gravity bong. Easy. Low Cost. Nothing, and I mean nothing hits like a gravity bong.
Old 07-27-2005, 11:27 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I recommend a gravity bong. Easy. Low Cost. Nothing, and I mean nothing hits like a gravity bong.

[/ QUOTE ]

I thought you could just make one by cutting a 2-liter coke bottle in half