Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-22-2005, 09:00 PM

Default Re: WPT Championship Event hand

[ QUOTE ]
Well, I don't consider myself a "typical small-winner straightforward playing internet tourney player" but I would seriously consider laying this hand down. I probably would get around to calling, b/c the hand was just played so f'in weird, but against some ppl I could find a fold.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 04-22-2005, 09:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Well, I don't consider myself a "typical small-winner straightforward playing internet tourney player" but I would seriously consider laying this hand down. I probably would get around to calling, b/c the hand was just played so f'in weird, but against some ppl I could find a fold.

Gavin

[/ QUOTE ]

Gavin,

If you take a few minutes to work this hand backwards, you will see that the button has a semi bluff and not a real hand.

Look at the betting patterns to this point. The button did nothing until hero made a raise. Then he went all in? A set would trap, not move all in.

Put yourself in the buttons shoes,if you flopped a set how would you have played the hand?

The button made that raise because most times players will fold because the think he has the best hand, and if he doesnt he still has a strong draw.

You would have made the call in the heat of battle.
Old 04-22-2005, 09:08 PM

Like I said, I would have worked through the hand and eventually called, but there are some weird ass players out there and some guys who would never make this move without having at least the same hand as me. Against the right player, this could be a fold.

Gavin
Old 04-22-2005, 09:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Like I said, I would have worked through the hand and eventually called, but there are some weird ass players out there and some guys who would never make this move without having at least the same hand as me. Against the right player, this could be a fold.

Gavin

[/ QUOTE ]

I see players in Atlantic City make this play often. I doubled through in a hand when I had K9 and someone had AQ diamonds...the board came K 10 9 with 2 diamonds I bet someone called and the next player went all in. I instal called with my two pair. I hit the King on the turn and doubled up and he became crippled.
Old 04-22-2005, 09:25 PM

"Look at the betting patterns to this point. The button did nothing until hero made a raise. Then he went all in? A set would trap, not move all in. "

If I was the buttion w/ a flopped set, I would push the turn as well fearing the str8 flush draw.
Old 04-22-2005, 09:29 PM

If I was the buttion w/ a flopped set, I would push the turn as well fearing the str8 flush draw.

Would you have checked the flop as well? [img]/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]
Old 04-22-2005, 09:41 PM

you said yourself that you would trap w/ it.
A small bet or check is trapping on the flop.
I would have probably made a bet.
If some1 took the line of checking that flop w/ a set, I believe the correct play w/ the action described would be to push.
Old 04-22-2005, 10:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]
35 minutes into the WPT Championship. Blinds are 50-100, and everyone has around 50k in chips. Two limpers, you limp with KQo, button limps. Now the big blind raises to 750, everybody calls. Five to the flop.
Flop Ks6d5c. Checked around.
Turn Qs. Check, check, limper bets 3500, now you raise to 10,000. Now the button goes all in. All fold to you.
Do you call or fold?

[/ QUOTE ]

Haven't checked all the responses but I think the KQ not betting the flop is just horrendously bad play. Bet 3K to win the 3.8K out there and move on. If raised you know its a set(w/stacks that deep that early) so fold.