Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: Turn
Check 10 45.45%
Bet $2-18 1 4.55%
Bet $18-40 4 18.18%
Move In 7 31.82%
Voters: 22. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-04-2005, 01:56 PM

Default Re: Poll: IQ

The Ravens test is actually one of the very best test up to a score of 135 SD15 (your 156 SD24 is the same as 131 SD15).

The test does not messure your ability to solve puzzles. The thing is that your ability to messure the given puzzles as you call it, correlates to most other things related to IQ. This is things like language and math and a lot of other things.

In short, if you can do the puzzles well, you can do all the other stuff too, millions of test has proved that, so you really don't need to test it.

An other thing with Ravens matrixes is that it is close to language and culture neutral. If you use language or math in the test, you require some educational skill, which should not be required, since IQ is something you are born with and in principle can not change.
Old 05-04-2005, 02:20 PM

I don't think online IQ tests are very accurate. Don't real tests take a lot more time and cost a decent bit of money?
Old 05-04-2005, 02:38 PM

noone on this site is 16 SDs above the norm.
Old 05-04-2005, 07:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]

One of the problems with intelligence is that caucasians tend to score higher on standardized test than some minorities, meaning African-Americans and Latin Americans. East Asians tend to score higher. So, is IQ distributed differently by race?

[/ QUOTE ]

yes

[ QUOTE ]
Is one race genetically superior to another, or is testing, like the IQ and SAT test, racially biased?

[/ QUOTE ]

avg asian guy is smarter then the average black guy.
avg black guy is better at basketball, though!
Old 05-04-2005, 07:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]
noone on this site is 16 SDs above the norm.

[/ QUOTE ]

No human ever born is 16 SDs above the norm.
Old 05-05-2005, 12:03 AM

[ QUOTE ]
such an arrogant view of the world.

[/ QUOTE ]

Can you explain? A guy just posted that anyone who takes IQ tests seriously is an idiot. Since intelligence is important in our society, a means of measuring it must be too. So far the IQ test is the best we have. Why would someone be an idiot for accepting a test that is the best we have to measure intelligence? To play devil's advocate how is a smart person to measure inteeligence?
Old 05-05-2005, 01:36 AM

this has nothing to do with anything, what i mean is just because someone is rejecting it is as important does not mean they cannot perform well on it, its arrogant and comes from a person with low self-esteem to have the inability to realize that just because someone can excel in something does not mean they have to value it. people who cant do many things well hold onto what they have like a stupid test asking you how many Xs are going to be in the next box of the sequence. have a little self-worth, an IQ score should not validate you and just because someone does not value something does not mean they cant also be proficient or excel at it, these 2 events are independent of eachother.
Old 05-05-2005, 11:46 AM

I think the avg good poker has a better than avg sense of humor. According to Zen and the Art of Poker a good sense of humor will improve your game.

Glad you said avg. I live in Dallas and we're going up against Yao Ming again tonight. Nobody said he was avg.
Old 05-05-2005, 11:51 AM

I fold.
Old 05-05-2005, 01:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]
looks to me like the big spheres are worth 7 each, the small ones 2 each, add them up

[/ QUOTE ]

That would be my guess also. If you had to write down the answer I would enter "11". If it were a multiple choice test and one of your choices was "9", I'd have to flip a coin. The one thing different about "C" is one small ball is not attached to the big ball. If it's free floating does it's value change?

It's kind of like the question: what is the next number in the series: 1,3,5,7....? If this is a multiple choice test and your choices included "9" and "11". The smart guy would say the answer is nine and move on. I would say they are all prime numbers and the next prime number is 11.

My point regarding correlation is you can be a great poker player and still not know the answer to that question. Your math skills may be at 6th grade level but there's no doubt in my mind you can figure pot odds, implied odds, count your outs and figure if it's a +EV to call.

That Rotating Rabbit is one smart dude (or dudette).

Please be sure to check my spelling.