Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Science, Math, and Philosophy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-27-2005, 10:31 AM

Default Re: Specific Question For Not Ready and Others

I'm sure there are people like that. The argument I make is not intellectually difficult and it's logically sound so it's very easy to agree with it. The problem is nothing man can do or say will be 100% convincing. There is always an out, no matter what the argument or evidence, due to the finiteness of man. So no doubt there are people who would say my reasoning is sound and I see no alternative, but I still don't believe in God.

I said in another thread some time ago that unbelief is not an intellectual problem, but an ethical one. People don't believe because they don't want to, because genuine belief requires committments, life changes and other serious consequences, including the admission of guilt and recognition that one is a created and finite individual. Man has a great aptitude for rationalizing away what he doesn't want to do.
Old 06-27-2005, 10:47 AM

[ QUOTE ]

You asked a question. I asked you why I might care to find an answer to the question. You replied with circular reasoning.

[/ QUOTE ]

The circular reasoning you complain about was my answer concerning morality, not why you should care.

The question about why you should care concerned ultimate meaning. I have difficulty taking that seriously, as it is self-evident why a reasonable, finite being should care about the One who created Him and is in control of his eternal destiny.
Old 06-27-2005, 10:48 AM

Default Re: Cart

[ QUOTE ]

But being hungry does not necessarily mean that food is forthcoming or already served.

[/ QUOTE ]

But it does imply the existence of food.
Old 06-27-2005, 10:53 AM

[ QUOTE ]

It's a little puzzling how anybody ever does become a Christian.

[/ QUOTE ]

Matthew 19:

24 It is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle than for a rich man to enter the kingdom of God.
25 When the disciples heard this, they were very astonished and said, "Then who can be saved?"
26 And looking at them Jesus said to them, "With people this is impossible, but with God all things are possible."
Old 06-27-2005, 10:58 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I have difficulty taking that seriously, as it is self-evident why a reasonable, finite being should care about the One who created Him and is in control of his eternal destiny.

[/ QUOTE ]

Only if you're so small minded that you can't conceive of more possibilities than having been created by some "One", whatever that means, of having some "eternal destiny", whatever that means, and that this "One" is "in control of it", whatever that means.

There is nothing self-evident about any of that.

More to the point, I see you have dropped the only coherent subthread here dealing with this ridiculous notion that without a biblical God, that only "might makes right" could ensue. This is something that Bible thumpers are almost universally deeply confused about. I see you are no exception.

eastbay
Old 06-27-2005, 10:59 AM

[ QUOTE ]

Does the Bible not say that "God is Love"

[/ QUOTE ]

see this

There's no need to guess about what God is like or what He means by love. It's in His Word.
Old 06-27-2005, 11:06 AM

If there is no ultimate standard of morality then there is no reason to choose one standard over another. Hitler says genocide is good, others say it isn't. If "Morality is a human thing" then the question is "which human's morality?", mine or Hitler's? Since the allies won they can claim to be right, but if Hitler had won, or some future Hitler actually does win, he will have the same right.
Old 06-27-2005, 11:08 AM

you should write a star wars comic book.

The "One".....

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

You asked a question. I asked you why I might care to find an answer to the question. You replied with circular reasoning.

[/ QUOTE ]

The circular reasoning you complain about was my answer concerning morality, not why you should care.

The question about why you should care concerned ultimate meaning. I have difficulty taking that seriously, as it is self-evident why a reasonable, finite being should care about the One who created Him and is in control of his eternal destiny.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 06-27-2005, 11:11 AM

Your comment doesn't go to why someone should care, which is obviously self-evident, you just disagree with the content.

I have no idea what you're talking about concerning the subthread. And why do you think that finite man can create an ultimate moral standard?
Old 06-27-2005, 11:25 AM

[ QUOTE ]
And why do you think that finite man can create an ultimate moral standard?

[/ QUOTE ]

Why do you think finite man cannot create a moral standard that is not ultimate, or having to do with god?