Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-13-2005, 02:30 AM

Default Re: Pump you Up (Pushups)

[ QUOTE ]
I read that as he's in the 100th percentile, as in below 1-99th percentiles.

[/ QUOTE ]
It means he's in the top percent.
Old 06-13-2005, 03:03 AM

That's what I initially thought, but it makes no sense as the article's main focus is that he's average at best.
Old 06-13-2005, 03:52 AM

The thing is, you can't have it both ways. The way I said makes sense. A guy weighing around 130-ish pounds curling 110 pounds is not in the lowest 1% of strength for his weight. That much is really obvious, and leaves no room for interpretation. And noting that he was in that high percentile is the common way you see those things noted. There's really no wiggle room here.

Compare to the other time a percentile is used 25%. That's what's used on the other exercise noted, where a much lower level of accomplishment is noted. That lower level reflecting 25% is internally consistent. Comparing it to the higher level -- a very high level -- noted in the curls, and you've got a lower % noted for lower accomplishment and a higher percent noted for higher accomplishment.

So the percentile business makes sense independently in both cases and is all very consistent, and reliably clear. One thing for sure -- you can't have it both ways. 25% can't be logically construed as low while 100% is considered low at the same time. One or the other. I think I just went along with the standard interpretation and plain language meaning of the author.
Old 06-13-2005, 02:26 PM

Default Re: update

[ QUOTE ]
okay- was a little sore today, but still managed to crank out a few sets. I'm already feeling better about my arm strength, it's supprising how a little work can wake up the 'ol muscles.

It totally FUKED up my pool game, however, and that cost me some free drinks. booooo!guys at the bar were like "what's up B? I thought you were a good player!".... k-holes.

[/ QUOTE ]

roflmao

I'm sore also really sore. I'm switching to ripdog's plan. One hard set per day adding more when I can do them. Could you have even raised the drink to your mouth had you won one? I would need a straw. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
Old 06-13-2005, 02:29 PM

Is there no response to anything other than percentiles?
Old 06-13-2005, 02:39 PM

I've responded, and clearly, and over the same damn issue, and any issue you named, time after time.

I don't know what more you could possibly want out of me here, but I'm beginning to suspect it's just to gainsay.
Old 06-13-2005, 03:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
okay- was a little sore today, but still managed to crank out a few sets. I'm already feeling better about my arm strength, it's supprising how a little work can wake up the 'ol muscles.

It totally FUKED up my pool game, however, and that cost me some free drinks. booooo!guys at the bar were like "what's up B? I thought you were a good player!".... k-holes.

[/ QUOTE ]

roflmao

I'm sore also really sore. I'm switching to ripdog's plan. One hard set per day adding more when I can do them. Could you have even raised the drink to your mouth had you won one? I would need a straw. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

Good thinking--I hit 40 today. I expect 45 by Thursday or Friday. I got to 35 and felt like I could get in a few more. Number 40 was a bitch and a half.
Old 06-13-2005, 04:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I've responded, and clearly, and over the same damn issue, and any issue you named, time after time.

I don't know what more you could possibly want out of me here, but I'm beginning to suspect it's just to gainsay.

[/ QUOTE ]

I quoted 4 other statements about Bruce's alleged power after I quoted yours about percentiles. You replied with 3 entire paragraphs to the percentiles. It's whatever, this conversation is going nowhere. Take it easy.
Old 06-15-2005, 04:53 PM

Found this it might be good after a few weeks if we get bored of the standard routine. For now I am just cranking out 1 hard set per day.

100 pushups
Old 06-15-2005, 04:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Found this it might be good after a few weeks if we get bored of the standard routine. For now I am just cranking out 1 hard set per day.

100 pushups

[/ QUOTE ] [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]