Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-30-2005, 04:33 PM

Default Re: Kid on a leash

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I would probably never use them, but I just dont think its a way "to avoid contact" with your kid, thats ridiculous. Maybe thats why my dad made my mom get rid of it. I just think that labelnig people who use them as "bad parents" is stupid, as I know my parents are/were great parents.

[/ QUOTE ]

You say your parents only used them at the biggest, most crowded amusement park in the world. OP was referring to a woman at the bagel shop. Bit of a difference. I think we can infer she and those like her use them on a regular basis.

[/ QUOTE ]

Doesnt matter to these guys, that is all Im saying. They basically called my parents bad parents, for even thinking about using one, which is stupid.

[/ QUOTE ]
It sounds to me like your Mom was being overprotective and your Dad showed her the error of her way. That's not all bad. My wife and I bust on each other all the time about how we should deal with our kids.
Old 09-30-2005, 04:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I honestly dont see what teh uproar is. Do any of you guys who are parents have a child proof gate, blocking off a flight of steps, so the kids dont fall down them? I view the wristaband as basically teh same kind of precautionary measures.

[/ QUOTE ]

Im repeating this becasue I want to know what you guys say about this.

[/ QUOTE ]
Completely different. You child proof your home -- plug the outlets, block the stairs, etc. You want them to roam and explore their own environments without hurting themselves. Humiliating them in public by tethering them is a completely different situation.

[/ QUOTE ]

There is a fine line between being protective and over protective. As a parent you take every precaution so that your child does not get hurt or hurt himself, but I have found that the added stress of being an over protective parent would drive you crazy.

If you explain to your children that if they leave your side, there will be consequences, and follow through with those consequences, even at a young age children understand this. For example, they will not go on Space Mountain if they stray, and they know you will follow through with this, they will not stray. If they do, standing watching there brothers go on it, will be enough to not do it again.

Useing a leash is either being lazy, or over protective, neither of which teach a good lesson to your children.
Old 09-30-2005, 04:44 PM

What are your thoughts on the moms that push their 5 year olds around in strollers because they're too lazy to keep up with them?
Old 09-30-2005, 04:47 PM

I think it's demeaning to both the kid and the adult.
Of course if you have like 7 kids then you might need to put them on leashes so they don't run away.
Old 09-30-2005, 04:48 PM

Their awful parents who don't want any contact with their kids. They're all unfit. Damn it, I brought my kids to the Grand Canyon and walked all over with three of them strapped to my back!
Old 09-30-2005, 04:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]
What are your thoughts on the moms that push their 5 year olds around in strollers because they're too lazy to keep up with them?

[/ QUOTE ]

5year old in a stroller? That's kindergarten age, isn't it? When I was in kindergarten, there was no way I was getting into a stroller. That's like having a fourth grader in a car seat.
Old 09-30-2005, 04:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
My boy was 5 when we went to Disney, and we brought the stroller for him. That's a lot of walking for an adult, let alone a little kid. If his legs started getting tired he'd either pop a squat in the stroller or jump on my shoulders, and we'd keep on booking. He's 7 now, and wouldn't even give the stroller a second thought. In fact, I'm pretty sure we don't have it any more.
Old 09-30-2005, 05:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]
My boy was 5 when we went to Disney, and we brought the stroller for him. That's a lot of walking for an adult, let alone a little kid. If his legs started getting tired he'd either pop a squat in the stroller or jump on my shoulders, and we'd keep on booking. He's 7 now, and wouldn't even give the stroller a second thought. In fact, I'm pretty sure we don't have it any more.

[/ QUOTE ]

My 1-1/2 year old walks everywhere now. She walks around the mall and stores and the zoo. If you get em started young, they'll build endurance. It is a pain in the ass waiting for them everywhere at first though.
Old 09-30-2005, 05:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

My 1-1/2 year old walks everywhere now. She walks around the mall and stores and the zoo. If you get em started young, they'll build endurance. It is a pain in the ass waiting for them everywhere at first though.

[/ QUOTE ]

Have you got her on the 8' leash yet, or are you still using the 4 footer?
Old 09-30-2005, 05:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I think it's demeaning to both the kid and the adult.
Of course if you have like 7 kids then you should have been smart enough to wrap it up four or five kids ago.

[/ QUOTE ]

Fixed it.