Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Internet Gambling > Internet Gambling
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-24-2005, 07:25 AM

Default Re: O Doyle\'s Army - WE WANT YOU!

ODR, I wish you the best.

However, I'm a little confused by you guys, given that it's pretty easy to get 90% rakeback propping, while only requiring moderate rather than high volume- odoyle, if you had propped for 120k hands at truepoker, you would have ended up with more than you did from your wsop challenge, unless you were playing 1/2 abd 2/4 throughout. Some prop deals do not even have seating restrictions...

Making an "army" at a big event would indeed be a bonus for a site, and fun for participants, but it sounds like a lot a people would rather a cash option. But, yeah, hope you and your army get what you want out of the deal.

2nd
(Std prop post disclaimer- i won't ever give specifics in a post... PM me if you want)
Old 07-24-2005, 10:03 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Just a couple of points that I think should be considered; personally I would be against the idea of dressing up in army gear and parading around the WSOP or whatever ohter major event. I am not American, and if I was attired so, it would be presumed that I am. I also dont agree with war, specifically recent events, and if I was attired so, it would be presumed that I do.

I would be afraid that an approach like this would take poker somewhere I personally feel it shouldnt go. The idea of an "army" marching in to do battle is against the every-man qualities that help make poker great. True, websites do uniform their sponsored players, but essentially they are low brow and always a subtle decoration of civilan clothing.

You must be aware that while it may seem like just a bit of fun, it carries much stronger connotations when carried across an international audience.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hey cianosheen,

You raise some thought provoking thoughts in regards to the uniform idea. Would it have any perceived negative connotations by a percentage of the viewing public? If so, then that idea could be modified, but not scrapped entirely. We would still need to wear somthing unique so we are easily recognized as a group. Do some of the Full Tilt team feel a little uncomfortable in their jersies? Probably, but it's all about the marketing. They are trying to stand out from the crowd and promote their brand. We would need to do the same.

I not so sure about your every-man qualities, though. I think a certain percentage of your well known players, do think it is "war" when they sit down at the poker table and they are battling for the other person's chips. I think any competitive game or sport automatically brings military like cliches to it. You hear announcers use such cliches all the time. "They marched right down the field."

Also, I think you meant to indicate low-key and not low-brow.

I wasn't trying to make any type of political statement, the point was to do something fun and unique and to promote the poker site (and ourselves).
Old 07-24-2005, 10:24 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I know when ODoyle's Army would march into that poker room they would garner much attention and would be sure to capture the eye of the media.

[/ QUOTE ]
Personally, I think this would make everyone look like a bunch of jackasses on national television.

But the idea of promoting it as an "army" where everyone dresses the same and all that other crap is taking it too far, in my opinion. I would pursue other options if this was the case.

I liked the idea someone floated of the 120K hands per event, with the players having control over the timing and which event. That would be something worth pursuing.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think "team", "contingent" or "army" would all be words to describe a large group of poker players. Let's not forget, the "army" of Poker Stars players in the last three WSOP events have made them what they are today. AND, this marketing effort could do the same for another site or take Poker Stars dominance at the WSOP to another level while players are receiving something of value for their play.

But, ultimately, the purpose of all this is to create an atmosphere where the poker sites are competing for, offering bonuses, etc. to high volume players. If we become the best, well known group of high volume players in the world, do you think they would want our business to better promote their site?
Old 07-24-2005, 10:35 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Not to burst your bubble, because I think this is a great idea, but I think sites would be better off if they offered this to everyone on their site. They would reserve the top 100 rake contributors (100 given the first crack at the opportunity, if people decline they could move down the list) and at the end of the year, those 100 players would become "Party Poker Posse" lol, or something along those lines. Some catchy name if 'Stars were to do this. Obviously that wouldn't be their name but you get my drift. This offer would still be available to all you guys, but I think if I were to own a site, I would want to offer this to all my players. This would generate insane numbers of hands played. This would make it hard for the lower limit player (such as myself) to qualify but I think that, once again, this would be in the best interest of the site.

They could make the offer strictly based on raked hands, but I think they would want their higher limit guys in there because they would be more comfortable in a 10k tournament.

I would like to see an offer like this based on raked hands and not total rake paid, but I think that is wishful thinking.

Just my thoughts

** after re-reading this and not wanting to reorganize this, I'd like to throw in another option...

A site, PartyPoker or PokerStars or whoever, could offer this every month. Top 10 players with raked hands (or rake contribution) each month get a seat in the wsop me. One player couldn't win more than one seat obviously so they could go down the line if a player were to make the top 10 twice. I think this would be the ULTIMATE profit generator, and the poker site would be guaranteed a lot of hands throughout the year. New players signing up in October or something could have a chance to win it in November. If it was my first idea, only the people starting off at the beginning would have any real shot at winning.

This is probably the most unorganized thing you have ever read, but I hope you get mah drift.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think some of you perhaps could be missing a very key point of what I am trying to accomplish here. Yes, we would be promoting a poker site, but we will also be promoting ourselves and putting ourselves in a very good position to secure great future deals, bonuses, etc. My main motivation is not to try and figure out how Poker Sites can make the most money, but rather what will create an atmosphere where we, as high volume players are getting great deals from the poker sites and coinciendently the Poker Site will make alot of money by striking a deal with us as an "army" of players.
Old 07-24-2005, 10:38 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Not to burst your bubble, because I think this is a great idea, but I think sites would be better off if they offered this to everyone on their site. They would reserve the top 100 rake contributors (100 given the first crack at the opportunity, if people decline they could move down the list) and at the end of the year, those 100 players would become "Party Poker Posse" lol, or something along those lines. Some catchy name if 'Stars were to do this. Obviously that wouldn't be their name but you get my drift. This offer would still be available to all you guys, but I think if I were to own a site, I would want to offer this to all my players. This would generate insane numbers of hands played. This would make it hard for the lower limit player (such as myself) to qualify but I think that, once again, this would be in the best interest of the site.

They could make the offer strictly based on raked hands, but I think they would want their higher limit guys in there because they would be more comfortable in a 10k tournament.

I would like to see an offer like this based on raked hands and not total rake paid, but I think that is wishful thinking.

Just my thoughts

** after re-reading this and not wanting to reorganize this, I'd like to throw in another option...

A site, PartyPoker or PokerStars or whoever, could offer this every month. Top 10 players with raked hands (or rake contribution) each month get a seat in the wsop me. One player couldn't win more than one seat obviously so they could go down the line if a player were to make the top 10 twice. I think this would be the ULTIMATE profit generator, and the poker site would be guaranteed a lot of hands throughout the year. New players signing up in October or something could have a chance to win it in November. If it was my first idea, only the people starting off at the beginning would have any real shot at winning.

This is probably the most unorganized thing you have ever read, but I hope you get mah drift.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think some of you perhaps could be missing a very key point of what I am trying to accomplish here. Yes, we would be promoting a poker site, but we will also be promoting ourselves and putting ourselves in a very good position to secure great future deals, bonuses, etc. My main motivation is not to try and figure out how Poker Sites can make the most money, but rather what will create an atmosphere where we, as high volume players are getting great deals from the poker sites and coincendently the Poker Site will make alot of money by striking a deal with us as an "army" of players.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 07-24-2005, 10:59 AM

Default Who wants $30,000 of my rake??? Poker sites, speak up or FHYP.

I was actually thinking of making this post before this thread started, but didn't think it deserved its own thread and figure it's at least tangentially related to this thread.
<ul type="square">
* First of all, I'm interested in this idea, so keep me apprised.

* Secondly, here's what's going on with me:
I'm having major jaw surgery in 8 days, and will unfortunately be confined to a bed for at least a few weeks -- my friends see this as a drawback, but I'm actually excited, since the plan is to wheel my dual 2001fps over to my bedside and play poker until I go blind. I'm looking at getting in at least 80,000 hands during the month when I'm recovering.

* So I thought back to O'Doyle and other posters' WSOP hookups where sites made special arrangements to reward his high level of play. And then I thought that in the month of August, there won't be more than one or two players in the entire world who are going to log more hands than me. Seriously. I plan on playing a ridiculous amount. (I'm a winning 15/30 and 1000NL player, for whatever that's worth).

* So then I thought that maybe some online site would like to take advantage of this, and offer me something to bring my play to their site during this little experiment. I typically stick to the Party games (but am quickly becoming a Stars convert), but would be happy to switch sites for this little project, given the right incentive. So if any poker managers are trolling this board, and want to get in touch with me to discuss, feel free to do so.

* And O'Doyle, since you've probably been in contact with some poker sites over these types of high-volume arrangements, feel free to PM me if you've got any ideas on this too.[/list]
Old 07-24-2005, 11:08 AM

Default Re: Who wants $30,000 of my rake??? Poker sites, speak up or FHYP.

I would be just worried that loads of players dressed up in army clothing would be an overly aggressive approach to a game of cards. You would essentially be promoting military activity, and these kind of connotations, any sport or game can do without in my opinion. Of course poker is a war of sorts, but it is also simply game. And 99% of the audience would se it as just that. Why bring complications such as war and battle and violence and world attrocities into what is supposed to be just a game? I think using this kind of shock element to gain publicity for your crew of internet poker players is a cheap shot. Most non-Americans are fairly sick of seeing the aggression of hyped up patriotism eminating from your media...I think it would be a shame to see poker infected also. And while I know you are not going to be flying a particular flag, from our point of view you may aswell be.

Having a jersey, or some other kind of uniform, fine. But to associate poker with war is over-kill in my honest opinion. I sincerely hope I am not alone on this one.
Old 07-24-2005, 11:22 AM

To everyone who has PM'ed me:

My team and I are looking into promotions quite different from what is currently available, I will get back to you as soon as I know more.

We learned a lot from the last Extreme Promotion, maybe we will make the next one more mainstream!

ToT
Old 07-24-2005, 11:25 AM

Default O Doyle\'s Army - WE WANT YOU!

Hi Teddy,

I appreciate your interest but yes, maybe you should have started your own thread since you saw fit to change the subject line.

As far as trying to strike a deal for yourself, you need to go after them (poker sites) and offer them something unique in addition to "hey I want a nice bonus because I play alot".
Old 07-24-2005, 11:56 AM

ODoyle - you have started an interesting line of thinking, and as one might assume, everybody wants something - not necessarily for free, but more than they are currently getting. I see nothing wrong with this, and am now intrigued by the "skin" idea.

Perhaps there is enough interest here to warrant the purchase of a "skin". I would be willing to be a major participant (under the right conditions)in helping setup a company in a jurisdiction where online gaming is legal - and also helping fund the venture. This might be a better avenue than just giving significant play to an established site for a bonus.

Dogmeat [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]