Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Internet Gambling > Internet Gambling
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-12-2003, 08:19 PM

Default Re: When do you start to suspect a site?

I was not commenting on the player in question, but I'd agree with your likely assessment of him. My comment was about your general statement: "Good players that last in this game don't drop 170 big bets in a month at their chosen limit". I can certainly tell you from my own experience that this is not true.

-ActionBob
Old 11-13-2003, 10:47 AM

Default Re: WHY THE HELL....

I have seen someone using this name at 2/4 and 3/6 at Party a few weeks back for a couple of days. I pegged him as a LAG.
Old 11-13-2003, 06:52 PM

Default Paraphrasing a comedian

One of my favorite comedians once told the folllowing joke, and I'm paraphrasing somewhat:

"You always hear about some guy who drops acid, thinks he can fly, and then jumps off a building to his death. People say, 'What a tragedy'. Tragedy? What a dick! I'm supposed to get broken up because there's one less doorknob in this world?

If he thought he could fly, why didn't he try taking off from the GROUND, the way birds do?"

In the world of poker, .50/1 and 1/2 are the ground. Still think you can fly? Then I suggest it isn't necessary for you to rip on others who are both intelligent enough and prudent enough to fly as birds do.

"Your excuses are your own" -- Richard Roma
Old 11-16-2003, 04:38 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I know precisely how good I am. But thx for that stereotypical Zoo response. Did you just cut and paste that?

[/ QUOTE ]

Excellent response. That made me laugh!
Old 11-16-2003, 07:53 AM

Default Re: How much is your Dad worth?

[ QUOTE ]
Did he get you that job at the firm paying 110,000 in your second year of law school??

[/ QUOTE ]

He didn't say $110k, he said pro-rata $110k. It is called a summer clerkship. I went to law school at UT and those jobs paid very well 13 years ago, too.

[ QUOTE ]
I know people who graduated law school and cant get a job,

[/ QUOTE ]

They probably didn't go to the University of Chicago.

[ QUOTE ]
they paying you 2K/week to show up around lunch.

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually, he lost the job because he was showing up at lunch.
Old 11-16-2003, 06:10 PM

i know i'm late getting into this thread but i just HAD to add my observations (which aren't that different from everyone else's).

[ QUOTE ]
Go back to your 1/2 game and leave this thread to those who can add something to it.

[/ QUOTE ]

are you referring to the games where I KNOW i can win consistently? ummm..okay. you can feel free to go back to the game where you're getting your brains beat in.
i know that if/when the gods of SD decide to give me some bad-beats i know i'm not going to tilt. i believe this is called "playing within one's bankroll".

[ QUOTE ]
Honestly, I'm not looking for sympathy here. I just want someone to tell me that whats happening is not totally exceptional. If thats the case, I'll put aside my concerns and get back to work.

[/ QUOTE ]

a lot of people told you that this was not an exceptionally bad run. that didn't seem to be what you were looking for though.

[ QUOTE ]
I'm now down over 6k for the month, and no matter what I do, no matter how many breaks I take, no matter how I adjust my play, its not working.

[/ QUOTE ]

no matter what you do??? no matter how you adjust your play??? sounds like tilt to me. certainly does NOT sound like rock-solid play at any rate.
and on the "no matter what you do" aspect...evidently dropping down a level (if just for a couple of days to the 10-20) didn't occur to you.

if being down 6k for a month is too much for your bankroll or emotional bankroll then you shouldn't be playing that high.....that's the reason i don't play that high....i know how much i want to earn and i know how much i can stand to lose and i play within these limits.....THIS ALONE makes me a better player (at least more disciplined) than you even though i play primarily 2-4.

and why on earth would you play 3 to 6 15-30 tables at once??

this thread did actually bring about a fairly interesting discussion about bad-runs and SD, etc etc. served as a nice reminder that patience and discipline will indeed bring home the bacon.
i have nothing against those who play 15-30 and win consistently....in fact, i am envious (as are others i'm sure)...but i assume most of you have enough bankroll to withstand a $6k swing without flinching too much.

even though i'm fairly new to internet poker and the 2+2 forums it seems to me that 170BB's isn't THAT amazingly abnormal.
i think we've all had sessions where we find ourselves down 20-30 BB's in a session far too quickly due to ridiculous beats or bad play or a combination of the two. take a couple of those in a row and you're in for one of those loooooong weeks....but they do happen.

i would be extremely interested in some hand-histories and some stats (pre-flop %, etc etc) to back up the claim that he is indeed such a strong player because, frankly, i'm not buying it.
Old 11-16-2003, 06:40 PM

The common belief is that 5% of players are winners of 1 BB/hr or more. This post shows why that is so. It's a mindset where they want to win, not play at the highest level possible. Every year I stick my head up into $15-30 or above where I've always done well, but as soon as I get spanked I dropped right back down to levels within my BR and where I have a better chance of winning.

Poker is about making the right decisions and making money. The rest is just bullsh.it.

Good post.

MS Sunshine
Old 11-16-2003, 06:49 PM

two good posts in a row.no bullchit.I also choose to play well below my bankroll for the same reasons- consistent earn and lower volatility.

Ironically Lebron you started the best thread on this forum in weeks!!
Old 11-26-2003, 04:35 AM

maybe you aren't a math person. i may be wrong, but i don't think math is all that useful in law.(except for calculating the enormous paycheck at the end of the week). although i believe an intelligent person should be able to master all subjects, it doesn't mean they have the interest in it do so. have you ever taken a course in basic probability and statistics? if so you would understand that swings are natural. you are probably a winning player in the longrun as you are still up a lot after months of play. however, the fact that you can't understand the basics of bankroll management means you might just bust out where worse players (myself included) will continue to build a bankroll until they know they can handle the swings, both emotionally and financially. i know right now i am a tiltfest waiting to happen if i lose 100bb quickly, so i play where i can afford to do so. good luck. i hope you make a comeback. you took the time to read a book in another language. i would like to think you could at least read a couple more books on poker and make an effort to understand bankroll management before throwing in the towel.