Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-04-2005, 04:58 AM

Default Re: I found $640: now what?

You did the right thing.

About a year ago I dropped a evelope with $750 cash in it (I was on the way to my bank with the deposit envelope).

When I reached the bank I realized that it had fallen out of my pocket and started to worry ALOT (after all that was my entire months living expenses at the time).

AMAZINGLY about 4-5 hours later (around 8pm) the guy who found it called me.

Its people like you and him that I look up to with the highest respect.
It meant alot to me to find someone with that much integrity.

Best of luck.
Old 12-04-2005, 12:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I would probably wait around near the teller station, and not saying anything, but listen for someone who lost money.

[/ QUOTE ]
This seems like the worst plan posted so far. I think its even worse than "just keep it" because of the inherent dishonesty the likelihood of success implies.

I have to agree that just telling the teller I found money and leaving my number is the best idea. I wasn't thinking clearly at that moment, but the next time I find $640 lying on the ground, I will be sure to follow this course of action!
Old 12-04-2005, 12:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I would probably wait around near the teller station, and not saying anything, but listen for someone who lost money.

[/ QUOTE ]
This seems like the worst plan posted so far. I think its even worse than "just keep it" because of the inherent dishonesty the likelihood of success implies.

I have to agree that just telling the teller I found money and leaving my number is the best idea. I wasn't thinking clearly at that moment, but the next time I find $640 lying on the ground, I will be sure to follow this course of action!

[/ QUOTE ]

I dont know what you mean? I would assume, this is the best way to find the real owner of the money. If you went to a teller and said you found this money, I am pretty sure they would ask to hold the money, and if they have it you can kiss it goodbye as the teller is going to be buying blow and guns at wal-mart that night.
Old 12-04-2005, 12:45 PM

KKbluff,

How much did you give him for his reward?

Curious,

LFS
Old 12-04-2005, 12:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I dont know what you mean?

[/ QUOTE ]
First, you can't just "hang around the teller station." Someone is going to ask what you're doing there. You can delay them with some excuse, but its not like you can just sit at the bank for a couple hours with no apparent business. This goes double if you're actually trying to stand within earshot of the teller. Bit shady, no?

Second, there's no telling when the person that lost the money will come back in. You're giving yourself a very limited window of opportunity to overhear this person.

It seems like this idea is meant only to placate the conscience, to enable one to say, "Well, I gave it my best. My precious now!" To me, this is worse than just keeping it because it is dishonesty not only to others, but to oneself.

"The first and worst of all frauds is to cheat one's self. All sin is easy after that."
-Pearl Bailey
Old 12-04-2005, 12:59 PM

Ya, I guess I can see that. My bank is setup though, where you can sit and watch tv and read financial mags about 10 feet away from the station. I would just assume thought, that it would only take an hour or two for some distraught looking person to come back in asking if anyone turned in money. I think the best course of action, now that Ive heard what you are saying, is to leave, call the bank, and tell them what happened, and leave a number.
Old 12-04-2005, 01:14 PM

By throwing out all moral standards:

Pocket the cash, snort some good blow off some hookers ass.

take pictures. trip report.
Old 12-04-2005, 11:00 PM

here are the rules of mislaid and lost property

v. If property is casually and involuntarily laid down then it is lost. The finder of the lost property has superior rights over the whole world, except the true owner.
vi. If property is intentionally and voluntarily laid down, then left, forgetting it, it is considered mislaid. The owner of the premise where the property is found, not the finder, keeps the mislaid property and has superior rights over the whole world except the true owner.

so, u get to keep it, unless the true owner finds you with the $640
Old 12-04-2005, 11:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]

18 Pa.C.S. (Pennsylvania Consolidated Statutes) § 3921 Theft by unlawful taking.
(a) MOVABLE PROPERTY. --A person is guilty of theft if he unlawfully takes, or exercises unlawful control over, movable property of another with intent to deprive him thereof.

The purpose of this statute isn't to protect idiots who lose things. It's to punish scumbags like you that would keep things when they know it isn't theirs.

EDITED TO ADD

Can't believe I missed this one:

18 Pa.C.S. § 3924 Theft of property lost, mislaid, or delivered by mistake

A person who comes into control of property of another that he knows to have been lost, mislaid, or delivered under a mistake as to the nature or amount of the property or the identity of the recipient is guilty of theft if, with intent to deprive the owner thereof, he fails to take reasonable measures to restore the property to a person entitled to have it.

[/ QUOTE ]

I specifically remember it going like this.

18 Pa.C.S. § 3924 Theft of property lost, mislaid, or delivered by mistake
Finders keepers losers weepers
Old 12-04-2005, 11:49 PM

You're a good man. It's better to have a clear head than a full pocket. You made the right decision.