Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: CALL OR FOLD?!?!?!?!?
CALL!!!! 19 57.58%
FOLD!!! 14 42.42%
Voters: 33. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-31-2005, 04:29 PM

Default Re: Sig Sauer P226 9mm

[ QUOTE ]
in the woods its a 44 magnum s&w mountain revolver four ince barrel.

[/ QUOTE ]
Ray, why a 4-in barrel? for convenience's sake, ie quick draw? my 44mag has 7.5-in barrel:

i'm wondering if you think the long-range accuracy improvement is worth the trouble of digging it out of a pack/holster.

To the OP, if you're going to get a Sig, I definitely suggest you try to fire the GSR before you drop a significant wad on a lower caliber gun... the GSR is a bit more expensive (esp ammo), but it's by far the best gun I've ever fired.

Old 10-31-2005, 04:30 PM

I grew up shooting with my dad so I have never had any formal training but he made me do lots of safety related stuff before I even got to put my hands on a loaded gun.
Old 10-31-2005, 04:35 PM

if you tend to shoot over a hundred yards for hunting or target shooting then a longer sighting plane is worth it easily. but not for any kind of defense. plus weight is a key factor as you have to lug all that metal with you. and if it is heavy you usually dont bring it and it shoots poorly from home when you are not there.
Old 10-31-2005, 04:38 PM

Ray Zee is the man.

As another poster suggested, Gunsite is a very well respected name in the biz. I'm sure any number of local gunstores could point you to places you could get lessons. And some regular ranges will give lessons, too. To really learn defensive stuff well, you'll definitely want some courses.

Personally, I like the stuff written by Massad Ayoob. I forget which magazine he writes for now, but he sometimes writes for a couple simultaneously. He writes lots of articles about home defense and notable gun confrontations, and the legal results and what hapened next kind of thing. Very good advice and analysis, it seems to me. He also has some books at Amazon.com that look worth checking out.

There is a fair amount of arguing over what types of shooting styles are best, so you could easily find what appear to be reasonable people arguing over them. Maybe the occasional bitchiness like you get among people with varying theories sometimes. But good ideas shouldn't be hard to find.

After you get used to your gun, you might seriousl consider trying to find a competent gunsmith to accurize your gun, get yourself grips you like better, whatever. Some guns won't need it, some will, and maybe you'll just like something for your own reasons, like laser sights or whatever.
Old 10-31-2005, 04:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I grew up shooting with my dad so I have never had any formal training but he made me do lots of safety related stuff before I even got to put my hands on a loaded gun.

[/ QUOTE ]

Me too. I'm constantly amazed at both the idiots you see waving pistols around in every direction, loaded or not, at ranges, and at the range personnel who let them get away with it.
Old 10-31-2005, 04:41 PM

I'd also recommend anyone interested in gunfighting read Jeff Cooper.

[i]edit: No. Everyone should read Jeff Cooper. Period.
Old 10-31-2005, 04:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]
plus weight is a key factor as you have to lug all that metal with you. and if it is heavy you usually dont bring it and it shoots poorly from home when you are not there.

[/ QUOTE ]
My 629 is 52 oz, a common 4" large-frame (625 model) is 43 oz. So I'm not really concerned w/ weight, it's virtually the same. More the size/shape that could be problematic.

As usual, the obvious solution for me is to buy another gun. Sweet.
Old 10-31-2005, 05:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Instructors/schools you think are good?

[/ QUOTE ]

Gunsite--great training

Thunder Ranch--ditto

Max Joseph, TFTT/DAG--excellent, though strong military operations emphasis. Also excellent classes in optical rifle, and outdoor fieldcraft.

Scotty Reitz, ITTS--excellent. Background as LAPD Metro/SWAT operator, but modifies curriculum well to military, civilian, and police students.

Jeff Gonzales, Trident Concepts--former SEAL operator. Excellent instructor, some unique doctrines not emphasized as much by others, e.g., importance of learning strong-hand only shooting, shooting on the move, etc.

Greg Hamilton, Insights--excellent. Good instructor for improving technique, particularly speed. Also a good tactical instructor. Comes from Army SF background.

Andy Stanford, Options for Personal Security--meh. Not bad, not great. Kind of a Greg Hamilton lite. Some very unconventional techniques that I dont like/think are unsafe, etc. Pretty good teacher.

John Farnham--save your money. Windbag, and not a good instructor. For some reason, people like him, but I found his class very tiresome.

Gabe Suarez--ok. Former Santa Monica PD. Some controvery about his bona fides and character (he was charged with felony theft of services and left the PD, but settled on a misdemeanor and was briefly incarcerated). Wouldnt be my first choice, but he is a good teacher.

Tim Bulot--excellent. Former PD/SRT background. Strong background in executive protection. Very good at combining CQB defensive tactics with weapons. Instructors are generally good, although there has been some turnover and I dont know the new ones at all.

Paul Howe--havent taken a course from him, but he's reputed to be excellent. Former Delta operator, specializes in military training, but also teaches some civilians.

Walt Marshall--former Oakland PD/warrant squad. Good, solid, Gunsite type training.

Pat Rogers--former NYPD and USMC. Very popular instructor, specializes in AR-15. Dont personally like him much. Talks too much and not a very clear instructor.

Louis Awerbuck--the leading instructor on shotgun. Excellent, soft spoken, been there-done that. Biggest weakness is as a classroom instructor. Biggest strength is seeing the flaws in a student's technique and giving individualized feedback on improving technique.

Bill Jeans--excellent, former Gunsite chief of operations.

Ken Goode--the authority on low light shooting. Not sure if he teaches civilians. Used to be affiliated with Surefire Institute, but is on his own now. Former SEAL.

HTH.
Old 10-31-2005, 05:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Massad Ayoob.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ayoob is one of the "big name" instructors I havent taken a class from. His emphasis is on legal aspects related to shootings, and he frequently testifies as an expert for the defense in officer-involved shootings. His LFI-1 course is considered the "entry" level class for deadly force education, and I know a few people who have taken it. Personally, I think the judicious use of deadly force is an issue that doesn't take a whole lot of time to explain, so I dont see how Ayoob manages to stretch it into a 3 day class. But it is supposedly an OK class. Not likely to be as "technique" oriented as classes offered at other schools like Gunsite, Thunder Ranch, etc.
Old 10-31-2005, 05:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
plus weight is a key factor as you have to lug all that metal with you. and if it is heavy you usually dont bring it and it shoots poorly from home when you are not there.

[/ QUOTE ]
My 629 is 52 oz, a common 4" large-frame (625 model) is 43 oz. So I'm not really concerned w/ weight, it's virtually the same. More the size/shape that could be problematic.

[/ QUOTE ]

Great advice from Ray. Better to have a S&W J-frame .38 snubby in your pocket during a gunfight, instead of the full-size 1911 Kimber Commander model in the safe at home.

Carrying a gun, spare ammunition, flashlight, etc., is a real pain. Get something you wont mind carrying on a regular basis.