Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-04-2005, 03:05 PM

Default Re: What do you consider for someone to call themsevles PRO/SEMI-PRO/E

Does anyone else think the OP is dickish for challenging people to HU matches at Bars and Parties? Is this common behavior... just seems really dumb to me.
Old 11-04-2005, 03:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I fail to see why it matters.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's probably why you are option D) losing player, can't relate

[/ QUOTE ]

Why, exactly, do do you hate it when people call themselves professional poker players?

Do I have to make a specific amount to even have an opinion about this?

I guess I can't be your option "A" because I also make money from other sources. You should too, or your are wasting a lot of potential income.

As for Making $40,000 a year - do you consider anybody that works in the fast food industry at $9 an hour and pulls down a hard-earned $20,000 a year a non-professional in their industry because they didn't make $40,000? They are working full-time, just like tens of thousands of poker players that are making $10 an hour, and happy to get it.

Let your ego go - it will help your outlook on life.

Dogmeat [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]
Old 11-04-2005, 03:35 PM

Umm, actually I only take people up when they ask, I don't go around asking others unless I think they would be interested. And yes, from what I see, it's common behavior. There is no reason for me to ask since no one will buck up and take it.
Old 11-04-2005, 03:37 PM

Dear god people, get it together. I'm talking about poker players ONLY. Don't relate this to every freaking job and don't relate it to yourself if you are just gonna feel bad and then try to rip one me.

I was only interested in terms of a poker player and what others thought. Not all the problems of the world.

If you even read the thread you would see I am not in option A, but I also think there is a difference between a pro and a grinder who both may be poker players for a living.
Old 11-04-2005, 04:38 PM

i fail to see how someone who 'grinds' out $50k a year playing poker online..and as their main source of income...would not be a 'pro'.

I also fail to see why comparing it to other professions and what the definition of 'professional' is for ALL professions is somehow not relevant.

In other words, I'm not really understanding the point/s you are trying to make.
Old 11-04-2005, 05:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]
i fail to see how someone who 'grinds' out $50k a year playing poker online..and as their main source of income...would not be a 'pro'.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is what I wanted a debate about, which some people did hit which was great. I never came as saying that my numbers/ideas was the only and correct answer, but wanted to get others ideas into it. I have come to see more from your posts (which I respect a lot) and others that it's not so much a number, but what you are able to do in supporting yourself/family with a certain act.

[ QUOTE ]
I also fail to see why comparing it to other professions and what the definition of 'professional' is for ALL professions is somehow not relevant.

[/ QUOTE ]

I just didn't want to open this box because I'm not an knowledge in what a lot of other professions do or make. I just wanted to talk poker. The other professions and that discuss would be interesting, but wanted this to be focussed on poker.

I also did not mean to make fun/insult/or put down anyone in this thread with my original post, I just through out my thoughts and I guess some people took it as a personal attack. I come in peace.

Also, is there no difference between someone who makes $40k/year versrus $1m/year on poker? This thread and everything was just for thought, not so people can start to have business cards with titles or just be big headed.
Old 11-04-2005, 05:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
if you live off your poker earnings and have no other income youre a pro.

if you have multiple lines of income and poker is a significant portion of it you are semipro.

[/ QUOTE ]

I tried to address the same question on our Swedish forum a couple of month ago and got the same stupid answers as the one above.

It has irritated me that any one can be refered to as a PokerPro without any distinction on how much the are actually making playing poker.

What I think both Red Rain and I is asking for, Is at what level can one be considered to be taken as a serious PokerPro. i.e. not living out of mom.

Personally I would say that one have to make about 10K$/month in order to:
1. Have a decent living. 3K for house, car, schools for kids etc.
2. 3K for pension savings etc. I donīt want to live on the street when I retire.
3. 3K to build my bankroll.

Anything below this is not a life in my view.

[/ QUOTE ]

You need to add a few K to cover the surgery that allows you to suck your own cock.
Old 11-04-2005, 07:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Also, is there no difference between someone who makes $40k/year versrus $1m/year on poker?

[/ QUOTE ]

Of course there's a difference.
but they're still both 'pros'.

You can call one of them a 'low stakes grinder' type of pro while the other is a 'high stakes pro' if you like..or feel the need to differentiate.

There is also a difference between a single-A ball-player right out of high-school making $900/mth and a guy like Derek Jeter making a few million per year.

But they are still both 'professional'.

One if a minor-leaguer/rookie, the other is a major-leaguer/superstar.

---

Sorry for attacking your original assumptions as hard as I did.
It's something that has come up before...and there's always a handful of people saying something like "less than $50k doesn't count" or something like that.
I guess I'm a bit defensive about it.
You seem open-minded to the possibilities which is obviously a good thing.
Glad I was able to change your perspective at least a little bit.
Old 11-05-2005, 01:27 AM

[ QUOTE ]
So you think 36K$ per year to provide for the family is a lot???!!!

[/ QUOTE ]

I was referring to your figure of $10K of income per month. That's not great wealth by any means, but it's more than 85% of the people in this country make.
Old 11-06-2005, 12:36 AM

[ QUOTE ]
So you think 36K$ per year to provide for the family is a lot???!!!

[/ QUOTE ]

Before quitting my job at a freaking gas station making $13k a year, I never thought I could make this kind of money, anywhere, ever. I am now very grateful to online poker for supporting more money than me and my wife could have dreamed of as I will make over $36k this year only playing small tournies and $25NL-$100NL. So it is alot for some ppl.

and this thread sucks.