Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Science, Math, and Philosophy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-24-2005, 04:01 AM

Default Re: It\'s Come Down to Andy Fox vs Peter666

[ QUOTE ]
"They realise that stuff that isn't explained, still isn't explained by adding the word god."

You are a fruitcake. You are invoking the thought processes of a small minority of philosophicalyy trained disbelievers. How can you not realize that? Most disbelievers, along with believers, think God would explain everything.

Anybody out there in England who can whack this guy for me?

[/ QUOTE ]

nah its not trained philosophers, it's little kids saying why day? why dad? and growing up realising that dad doesn't know why? and the priest/vicar/rabbi... doesn't know why either.

chez
Old 10-24-2005, 04:30 AM

[ QUOTE ]

MOST non believers DO need to see that many of these claims have reasonable alternate explanations before they are comfortable with their non belief.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is why Andy Fox is my hero. Ever since the miracle debate began he has been the one that keeps me comfortable.

And David, stop being rude to Chez. He is a good contributor on this board and is the main reason why I don't have to post very often. Cheers Chez
Old 10-24-2005, 04:35 AM

When was I rude?
Old 10-24-2005, 04:39 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
"They realise that stuff that isn't explained, still isn't explained by adding the word god."

You are a fruitcake. You are invoking the thought processes of a small minority of philosophicalyy trained disbelievers. How can you not realize that? Most disbelievers, along with believers, think God would explain everything.

Anybody out there in England who can whack this guy for me?

[/ QUOTE ]

nah its not trained philosophers, it's little kids saying why day? why dad? and growing up realising that dad doesn't know why? and the priest/vicar/rabbi... doesn't know why either.

chez

[/ QUOTE ]

I think it has less to do with philosophical training than the ability and desire to reason independently. But I agree with DS that the MAJORITY of people accept the idea that "God would explain everything". C'mon, Chez, you have to know that your intelligence makes you atypical.
Old 10-24-2005, 04:42 AM

[ QUOTE ]
My contention is simply that the majority of non believers are non believers BECAUSE they are under the impression that the miraculous things attributed to God, in fact don't need the God of the bible, for them to occur

[/ QUOTE ]

I think maybe it is instructive to separate the reason people became non-believers from the reason they continue to be non-believers.

State changes are more difficult than maintaining your current state.

It is possible for state changes to be irrevocable.
Old 10-24-2005, 04:43 AM

You called him a "fruitcake" then threatened to "whack" him. Also threatened to strangle him and then mocked his understanding of english. I know you are only joking, but lay off of Chez, he's a good guy.
Old 10-24-2005, 04:53 AM

I never said he wasn't a good guy. But like the guy on my Game Theory thread who says you can't deal random real numbers, he is a fruitcake who disrupts the points I'm making and needs to be eliminated. How is that rude?
Old 10-24-2005, 05:03 AM

[ QUOTE ]
he is a fruitcake who disrupts the points I'm making and needs to be eliminated.

[/ QUOTE ]

Nevermind, you just talk differently than what I'm used to. It's trivial and I don't wish to discuss this further. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 10-24-2005, 05:32 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I never said he wasn't a good guy. But like the guy on my Game Theory thread who says you can't deal random real numbers, he is a fruitcake who disrupts the points I'm making and needs to be eliminated. How is that rude?

[/ QUOTE ]
Its rude to keep talking while I'm interupting you.

chez
Old 10-24-2005, 06:23 AM

[ QUOTE ]
think it has less to do with philosophical training than the ability and desire to reason independently. But I agree with DS that the MAJORITY of people accept the idea that "God would explain everything". C'mon, Chez, you have to know that your intelligence makes you atypical.

[/ QUOTE ]
but do those people change their belief because others have supposedly refuted miracles. They haven't refuted the miracles themselves, what with being stupid and all. Why would they believe those who claim they have? Most who don't reason with a fair degree of independence simply keep their unquestioned belief.

I'm still really struggling to imagine a believer who stops believing because of a brittle saint, or someone who isn't sure being persuaded by unrefuted claims of suppleness.

I'd like to say fair point about my exceptional intelligence but I'm a lot closer to the average than DS is [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

chez